X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIA releases details of reservation shooting

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...c30015a6a1.txt

BIA releases details of reservation shooting

SIOUX FALLS (AP) -- The Bureau of Indian Affairs has released the name of an officer who was shot while serving as part of a surge in law enforcement officers on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, which straddles the North Dakota-South Dakota border.

According to Pat Ragsdale, the BIA's director, 27-year-old Sgt. Louis Troy Poitra was shot in the leg on Wednesday as he was responding to a domestic violence call in Little Eagle. Rifle fire hit Poitra's vehicle and wounded him, Ragsdale said Friday in a release.

Poitra and the suspect, whom Ragsdale said also was injured by a gunshot, were taken to a Bismarck, N.D., hospital.

Ragsdale said Poitra captured the assailant, confiscated a weapon and stayed on the scene until a National Park Service police officer and a Cherokee Nation marshal arrived. They also are part of the law enforcement surge, known as Operation Dakota Peacekeeper.

Poitra, who has been with the BIA for six years, was a squad leader with the mission and was serving his second 30-day detail, Ragsdale said. He is a member of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe and is a police officer training instructor from the Indian Police Academy in Artesia, N.M.

The BIA and FBI are investigating.

The BIA brought in extra officers in June to help curb a high crime rate on Standing Rock. Authorities have said the surge has helped.

The effort is expected to continue at least until October.

"I am very proud of Sergeant Poitra and everyone associated with this mission. This reminds us all of the dedication, bravery and sacrifice of police officers that serve Indian country and our communities all over America," Ragsdale said.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Scary thought to think about something like this happening, but it doesn't surprise me. Sounds like the officer did a great job in getting the suspect.. I worked for a few months for Martin South Dakota PD a while back my eyes were opened to things that goes on, on the res. Areas that one would think to be rural and in the middle of no where and nothing happening. Ha!

I was surprised to see how much crime and gang activity they really have. Anyone who wants to get a lot of experience really quick in crimes that you would normally have in a big city ;IE sexual assaults, shootings, strong armed robberies, stabbings, assaults, auto thefts, I would suggest working a res at least once. Most of the officers I worked with do what they can with what they got and are very professional. But working the res is a totally different environment.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Lower Brule Sioux Tribe is located in my county... after hearing some of the calls and radio traffic, and talking to the BIA guys, some days I'm very glad we're not cross-deputized.

And then other days when I see someone I know is wanted, but we're on the res, it makes me angry

Comment

Operation Dakota Peacekeeper..lol...operation Kiss Senator Dorgan's a#s..bureaucracy in action...take all the cops from the other res's that all ready have high crime rates, put them in Standing Rock, and then arrest every buddy for every thing..including public intoxication..get the stats from high arrest rates;;few months latter announce success...and then cops leave and its same old.

mean while all the other native populations suffer...next to me is the Turtle Mountain Chippewa res, they had 10 BIA officers 2 months ago..BIA sent all of them except for 3 to standing Rock, now on bussy nights they are usually 5+ calls backed up becuase they only got enough man power for 1 car with 2 officers, and there working 12 hour shifts 7 days on 1 day off. serious calls at that...domestics, stabbings, fights, car accidents etc.
        "What the problem is?"

Comment

Originally posted by Smithers View Post
          Lower Brule Sioux Tribe is located in my county... after hearing some of the calls and radio traffic, and talking to the BIA guys, some days I'm very glad we're not cross-deputized.

And then other days when I see someone I know is wanted, but we're on the res, it makes me angry
          Do you work for Lyman county sheriffs office? You might know a buddy of mine who is from chamberlain who did alot of stuff with you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Branis View Post
            Do you work for Lyman county sheriffs office? You might know a buddy of mine who is from chamberlain who did alot of stuff with you guys.
            Yep... if you're buddy is still around, I probably know him. Whats his first name?

Comment

We have the highest concentration of reservations in the nation, and there are some mighty unique disputes that come with the territory.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6432 users online. 351 members and 6081 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X