• Show
Clear All

• Driver who hit 5-year-old high on marijuana

Driver who hit 5-year-old high on marijuana

Driver who hit 5-year-old high on marijuana
    by Frank Graham (North Platte Bulletin) - 9/11/2008

Photo by LCSO
    Andrew Bruce
    A 19-year-old North Platte man who hit a 5-year-old bicycle rider with his car May 18 was sentenced to 18 months probation.

Check out our FREE online Bill Pay!

Andrew J. Bruce, 1202 East Sixth Street, was also ordered to get a drug and alcohol evaluation, meet with the boy’s parents in victim mediation, abstain from alcohol and bars and surrender his driver’s license for 60 days by Lincoln County Judge Kent Turnbull.

Bruce, driving a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage westbound on West Second Street just after 6 p.m. when he struck Christian C. Wholford, 5.

Wholford was riding behind his mother and father. They had crossed the street to the south side (eastbound lane) in front of the high school, according to a police report. The report said Christian followed his father and began to cross the street when he was struck. He was not wearing a helmet.

The boy suffered numerous cuts and abrasions and a broken leg. He was taken to Great Plains Regional Medical Center the life-flighted to Denver.

Bruce stopped his car and prosecutors said he had the strong odor of marijuana on him. After failing sobriety tests, he was arrested for driving while intoxicated. Officers also found a small amount of marijuana in his possession.

Bruce had not been drinking, prosecutors said, but was under the influence of marijuana. A urine test revealed marijuana in his system.

Bruce was originally charged with driving while intoxicated in an accident that causes serious bodily injury but that charge was reduced to a standard driving while intoxicated.

The reason, according to Deputy Lincoln County Attorney Todd Engleman, was that none of the doctors who attended to Wholford would say the boy suffered “serious bodily injury.”

“The doctors, under oath during depositions, refused to say the injuries were serious,” Engleman said. “They said the broken leg was a clean break, was set expertly and was fine when they were being deposed.”

Engleman said he wasn’t sure why the doctors refused to testify that the boy suffered “serious bodily injury” but their refusal limited the state’s options.

Prosecutors amended the charges to first-offense driving while intoxicated, third-degree assault and possession of a small amount of marijuana, an infraction.

Bruce was fined $100 for possessing the marijuana.

Bob Lindemeier, Lincoln County Public Defender and Bruce’s attorney, said there was a question of whether the boy darted out in front of Bruce. He said a video camera in the high school parking lot captured the accident and that he had viewed it.

“The father crosses the street, leaving the 5-year-old by himself,” Lindemeier said. “Then the boy proceeds to pull across the street. At that time of day the sun was in Mr. Bruce’s eyes and he did not see the young man.”

Lindemeier said that Wholford came “flying out in front of him and, unfortunately, Mr. Bruce never saw him.”

“He immediately stopped and he does not contest the fact that he was under the influence of marijuana,” Lindemeier said. “His insurance company paid the limits of his policy to the young man’s family.”

“Mr. Bruce spent 40 days in jail and is very remorseful,” Lindemeier said. He said Bruce’s father, who was in the courtroom, is also concerned, wants his son off drugs and is very supportive.

Judge Turnbull said he would like to offer an observation from the bench.

“A 5-year-old, on a 50-pound bike verses a 2,000 pound vehicle,” Turnbull said. “Guess who’s going to get the brunt of that one?”

Turnbull said there was nothing scarier to a parent than losing a child and he wanted Bruce to experience that, which was why he ordered victim mediation. He also said it would get really bad for Bruce if he “screwed up on probation.”

The North Platte Bulletin - Published 9/11/2008
    Copyright © 2008 northplattebulletin.com - All rights reserved.
    Flatrock Publishing, Inc. - 1300 E 4th St., Suite F - North Platte, NE 69101
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

You always hear criminals say, " A little marijuana never hurts anyone, no one ever gets into accidents while smoking." Well here's a good example why these boneheads shouldn't smoke it and drive and it's just as bad or worse than alcohol.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
      You always hear criminals say, " A little marijuana never hurts anyone, no one ever gets into accidents while smoking." Well here's a good example why these boneheads shouldn't smoke it and drive and it's just as bad or worse than alcohol.
      +1, smoking maijuana and driving do not mix. But there will always be the "Marijuana doesn't hurt anyone crowd"....

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Wow. I thought the 9th circus was pretty "forgiving."

So this bonehead spent 40 days in jail. No loss of license? No community service? Ooooohhhh... I see. The guy's insurance paid the kid's parents some money for it to go away.

I hope that 5 year old grows up, finds "duuuuude," and repeatedly doesn't see him several times with some fists of fury. Hopefully this kid's leg turns out OK, and he doesn't grow up with a limp. Poor little guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
          Wow. I thought the 9th circus was pretty "forgiving."

So this bonehead spent 40 days in jail. No loss of license? No community service? Ooooohhhh... I see. The guy's insurance paid the kid's parents some money for it to go away.

I hope that 5 year old grows up, finds "duuuuude," and repeatedly doesn't see him several times with some fists of fury. Hopefully this kid's leg turns out OK, and he doesn't grow up with a limp. Poor little guy.
          What it more sounds like is irresponsible driver + irresponsible parents = kid with broken leg.

I don't usually say this, but I put the blame more on the parents of the kid than I do the driver. And that's coming from a DUI officer. Notice it doesn't say that he was found at fault for the crash? Glad he was arrested for the DUI and did his lumps. Here it would be 0 days in jail and only 12 months probation. It did say he lost his license for 60 days.

I think more than likely if it had been even a sober driver the kid would have been hit. Hopefully the guy learned his lesson.

Poor little guy I agree, but a clean break (I trust doctors more than I do lawyers) won't give him a limp for life.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
            What it more sounds like is irresponsible driver + irresponsible parents = kid with broken leg.

I don't usually say this, but I put the blame more on the parents of the kid than I do the driver. And that's coming from a DUI officer. Notice it doesn't say that he was found at fault for the crash? Glad he was arrested for the DUI and did his lumps. Here it would be 0 days in jail and only 12 months probation. It did say he lost his license for 60 days.

I think more than likely if it had been even a sober driver the kid would have been hit. Hopefully the guy learned his lesson.

Poor little guy I agree, but a clean break (I trust doctors more than I do lawyers) won't give him a limp for life.

Would have been interesting to see what other history he may have had and what effect it had on his sentencing. I was actually surprized at what he recieved considering the response to similar cases in my area.

BTW Dont get get my comment wrong, I believe it was a very appropriate sentence and give the court room to enhance a second conviction should he not have learned his lesson.

Comment

“The father crosses the street, leaving the 5-year-old by himself,” Lindemeier said. “Then the boy proceeds to pull across the street.

When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Well here's a good example why these boneheads shouldn't smoke it and drive and it's just as bad or worse than alcohol.

Not to debate about this, but...seriously?!
                When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse27 View Post
                  I can't really find any stats concerning driving high. The stats about driving drunk speak for themselves. I have read that people who drive while under the influence of marijuana compensate by driving slower and paying attention as much as possible. Maybe this is why you rarely hear about accidents caused by pot smokers. And they are probably too lazy to drive too.

I'm not advocating smoking or drinking anything that alters your mind before driving, but alcohol definitely appears to be a lot more dangerous.

djblank87: I'm sure that most of the "marijuana doesn't hurt anyone" crowd would not advocate driving while high. I believe they are just saying that smoking it while, watching a movie for instance, would be no danger to anyone, besides themselves potentially.

Comment

I am glad the 5 yr old wasn't killed. He very well could have been. From what I have read, part of the blame should rest with the parents, a small part. Though the majority of the blame should lie with the idiot driver strung out on Marijuana.

I agree, this article hit a little bit close to home for me. Here is another example to add to the record books on this subject. Just ask CHP Officer Anthony Pedeferri. Idiot driver in this case just got 15 years in prison for his actions, and surprisingly this is California.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tonypedeferri

Some 20 ish years ago at the age of 8 my wife's sister was hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk controlled by a stop sign. Thankfully only her leg was broken, though the fracture was across the growth plate. Though the driver in this case was not DUI, they did have to physically pry his hands off of the steering wheel. He was white as a ghost. He thought he had killed the little girl. Happily today, my sister in law is alive and well with kids of her own. I couldn't imagine what life would be without meeting her or my wife growing up had this tragedy been much worse.

People need to be more careful and cognizant of their actions. There could be ramifications to them.
                    www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
                    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Now it does say with the time of day it was the suns fault. i guess it was the suns fault too for nourishing the marijuana plant to its full THC potential. The squinting one would do with the sun in his eyes combined with the squinting from being high.... his eyes must have been completely closed!

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post

Yeah exactly. He shouldnt have been driving after smoking, but if the kid crossed in front of him - he would have crossed in front of him whether the driver had smoked or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse27 View Post
                          Yes, totally. You would be surprised at how many people get arrested or cited (which is the same thing as being arrested.) that will make the comment, "When have you seen someone who smokes marijuana hurt or kill someone?" I have had people I have arrested or cited countless times say this to me. I'm sure several other LEO's here have heard the same thing numerous times too.

The only defense I have heard from these pot heads is when you smoke pot, you drive slower. Or the famous your more aware because you don't want to get picked up by the cops. There are others, but this what comes to mind. I have never cut a break for this stuff, if I find it write for it, but that's just me.

As a parent yes, some parent need to watch their kids more. But you can't watch everything they do, you think they are going to go right and they go left. You think they are going to come to and they run away from you. That's why as a parent you think of a worse case scenario on things that COULD happen and what you would or will do if something does happen. But throw some pot head or drunk into the mix and things can change.

I'm not defending these parents or putting them down because I only know what I'm reading from the newspaper. Anyone in this business knows that the newspaper doesn't always tell the complete story.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                            Yeah exactly. He shouldnt have been driving after smoking, but if the kid crossed in front of him - he would have crossed in front of him whether the driver had smoked or not.
                            Very true,but don't you think the driver would of been quicker to react if he wouldn't been under the influence?

Comment

Depends, MJ has shown to slow reaction time in some, and speed it up in others because they're paying MORE attention. Thousands of people no doubt drive high everyday but just because he hits a kid you'll hear about it, and unfortunately since he had MJ... this will ultimately be labeled as the cause. Sober drivers hit kids too, it's just a thing we call life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3063 users online. 143 members and 2920 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X