300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Police Ask Iowa Court to Reverse Conviction of Jailed Officer

Just saw this story update on the opening page of O.com ... and it raised a couple of questions.
    Chicago Police Ask Iowa Court to Reverse Conviction of Jailed Officer

By MICHAEL J. CRUMB
    Associated Press Writer

DES MOINES, Iowa --

About 40 Chicago police officers rode a bus from Chicago to Des Moines in hopes of persuading an appeals court to free a fellow police officer serving a prison sentence.

Officer Michael Mette was sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted on an assault charge. The charge was the result of an October 2005 fight in which Mette punched Dubuque student Jake Gothard, who suffered a broken nose, cheek and jaw.

The case prompted an outcry in Chicago, where Cook County State's Attorney Richard Devine and Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis and others wrote to Iowa Gov. Chet Culver, imploring him to pardon Mette.

John Kupczyk, a police department commander, said it was the camaraderie of the department that brought the officers to Des Moines on Thursday to ask the Court of Appeals to reverse the conviction and dismiss the charge.

"We come as a band of brothers," Kupczyk said. "We're seeking justice."

Another officer wore a black T-shirt that quoted Mette: "Just because I am a police officer doesn't mean I'm supposed to take a beating." The T-shirt also read "Injustice in Iowa."

... etc ... etc ...
    Not to rehash old stories and old post threads, not to fire up the question of facts one may hold. Regardless of what one may think, the simple fact is he stands convicted.

It was great that they support him, great that they show the support for his family, especially great that they show the supporg seeing as his father is a retired officer. It's gotta be some kind of tough to see your son locked up in another state for 5 years, especially so if you believe he to be the victim.

But did they really go there thinking ...
    ... that an Iowa appeal court would consider overturning a conviction rendered by a lower court which heard all of the evidence of the several officers who responded to the scene and other witnesses as well as medical records ...
    ... based simply on a show of support for 40 fellow officers from another state and whom did not witness any of the events in question (even when wearing such T-shirts)?

What a precedent that would set! Would an Illinois court consider such a reversal for an off duty Iowa officer in like cuircumstances?

NO, they just went there as a show of support. They had no illusions ... so why suggest otherwise?

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
    But did they really go there thinking ...
    ... that an Iowa appeal court would consider overturning a conviction rendered by a lower court which heard all of the evidence of the several officers who responded to the scene and other witnesses as well as medical records ...
    When I questioned the support of this guy by other LEOs, I remeber one reply; something to the effect of "he is a fellow officer, we support our brothers". Which brings up my next question...

Why is no one supporting the officers that made the arrest in this case? They were the sober ones and on duty, but still they are idiots who don't know how to do their job? Don't understand

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5730 users online. 331 members and 5399 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X