Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Deputy fired for punching teenager

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...t_472781.shtml

Authorities released a patrol car video on Wednesday showing an Aiken County sheriff's deputy striking an Aiken teenager in the throat after questioning him.

The deputy, Jeffrey S. Nation, 40, of Cottonwood Drive, was fired Tuesday after appearing before a Magistrate Court judge on charges of assault and battery and misconduct in office. In a news release, Lt. Michael Frank, of the sheriff's office, said Mr. Nation demanded that Lorenzo Williams Jr., 18, of New Ellenton, "pull up his pants" while the two were at the corner of Green and Jackson streets Sunday.

"I don't know why the deputy decided to stop him," Sheriff Michael Hunt said. "Baggy pants are not against the law."

Mr. Nation alleged that Mr. Williams attempted to "head-butt" him. After investigators viewed the video, they determined the former deputy's accusation was false. Sheriff Hunt apologized to Mr. Williams, to his family and to the community.

I'm not familiar with the local laws the deputy used to initiate the encounter. However, that was definitely not a punch to the neck. He pushed the subject back with an open hand after the subject made a move and got too close for comfort. Perfect defensive tactic move. From watching the video I don't know what the fuss is about.

Mr. Nation alleged that Mr. Williams attempted to "head-butt" him. After investigators viewed the video, they determined the former deputy's accusation was false. Sheriff Hunt apologized to Mr. Williams, to his family and to the community.
    The above is just monday morning quarterbacking from someone who wasn't standing there having a beligerent subject quickly close in to within 6 inches of their own face...
    Last edited by yellowreef; 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Originally posted by EngineerGuy View Post
      http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...t_472781.shtml

Authorities released a patrol car video on Wednesday showing an Aiken County sheriff's deputy striking an Aiken teenager in the throat after questioning him.

The deputy, Jeffrey S. Nation, 40, of Cottonwood Drive, was fired Tuesday after appearing before a Magistrate Court judge on charges of assault and battery and misconduct in office. In a news release, Lt. Michael Frank, of the sheriff's office, said Mr. Nation demanded that Lorenzo Williams Jr., 18, of New Ellenton, "pull up his pants" while the two were at the corner of Green and Jackson streets Sunday.

"I don't know why the deputy decided to stop him," Sheriff Michael Hunt said. "Baggy pants are not against the law."

Hard to defend that one!! Interesting, the deputy told the "suspect" to smile for the camera as he might be on tv. That same camera is what got mr numbnuts fired. Im sure someone on here will defend the officers actions...

Comment

Whoa.......

This occurred on 9/7/2008 and the article is dated the 11th.

That's a pretty quick investigation........

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Yes very hard to defend those actions.

I guess things are done a little differently down there than here. I'm all for good police work, but sheesh. My comments are based SOLELY on what I viewed on that video.

First, I find it difficult to understand that this whole encounter began over these guys (thugs or not) wearing their pants low.

The guy off camera, Leon Patterson, apparently has a history with this department seeing he apparently punched another deputy at some point and this definately gets the deputy worked up.

And when this deputy yells at the guy on camera to "look me square in the eye", dont fault the guy for turning his head in your direction and looking at you.

I hate to second guess any officers actions, and I definately hate to back up a thug, but I dont see this guy doing anything wrong other than running off at the mouth to the officer. Yes, the kid was an Adam Henry but was cooperating with the deputy aside from flapping his mouth.
          Last edited by Taylor1430; 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I didn't see a punch - I saw an officer pushing a subject back when the subject got too close to an officer. The thug did jump into the officers face. I saw nothing wrong enough to fire him. While that would not be how I would intact with thugs, I saw no big deal.

Way to go weak kneed politicians!
            Space for rent .........

Comment

The officer told him to look at him in the eye, not get in his face.

I am sure there was something going on in the neighborhood when the officer stopped them. Wasn't that another patrol vehicle turning the corner to the front of this officer's vehicle?
              Space for rent .........

Comment

I'm not an officer, so from a tactical standpoint I have no expertise. However, I think the Officer used more force than necessary. It's clear in the video the Officer was annoyed with the young man's arrogance - which leaves me to believe he lost his cool.

...With that said the Officer should have received a "write up" at best. The fact that he was fired is outrageous. I'm curious to know the morale of that department after seeing something so miniscule lead to termination.

Forgive me if I'm blatantly wrong (about his use of force), but how should he have handled this situation better?
                Last edited by StephDakel; 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM. Reason: punctuation
                Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
                  I'm not familiar with the local laws the deputy used to initiate the encounter.
                  Well, lets just say the stop was illegal. The deputy said something to the group on the PA system about the pants, as he passed, I HEARD the guys say something back. The deputy turns around and initiates the stop. Also, the sheriff does not even know why the deputy stopped them.
                  However, that was definitely not a punch to the neck. He pushed the subject back with an open hand
                  Punch, slap, jab whatever it may be. He pushed the guy, shoved the guy, struck the guy or whichever you want to call it lets not split hairs.

after the subject made a move and got too close for comfort.
                  The subject was already to close when the deputy told him to "look me in my eye."

Perfect defensive tactic move. From watching the video I don't know what the fuss is about.
                  Hmmm... illegal stop from the get go?

The above is just monday morning quarterbacking from someone who wasn't standing there having a beligerent subject quickly close in to within 6 inches of their own face...
                  Close to within 6 inches?? The deputy was already damn near in the guys face.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                    And when this deputy yells at the guy on camera to "look me square in the eye", dont fault the guy for turning his head in your direction and looking at you.
                    BINGO!! It has begun. In the subjects rage, he turned toward the deputy with the strength of 2000 ferrets. Fearing for his life, the deputy......

Comment

Hey CityCopDC it looks like everyones split about this video. I kinda wish this thread had a poll.

If it walks like a duck.....
                      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

That is a difficult one.

If you put yourself in the police officer shoes and the other guy gets up in your face abruptly like he did in an offensive manner, I can see the police officers instincts and reflexes kicking in, to PUSH him back away from himself. Which is what happened, he pushed him. Not even enough to make the guy fall on his butt (almost.) He didn't punch him.

In a that split second the Officer might have interrupt it as a headbutting action. However - I don't think thats the case. From the reasons he gave the guy for arresting him, sounded like it was more of a "respect" kind of thing.

Is disrespecting an officer Illegal?

I have heard of cities implementing some type of law where you cant expose your underwear (by having your pants hang or lack of pants.) Not sure if this city is one of them.
                        sigpic
                        A Blog Of My Journey To Become a LEO

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                          I am sure there was something going on in the neighborhood when the officer stopped them.
                          Because 3 guys walking down the street, one with his pants hanging down low HAS TO MEAN something in the neighborhood is amidst. And if those guys were possible "suspects" in whatever crime just occurred in the hood, wouldnt the deputy stop them initially instead of waiting for one of them to pop off at the mouth??

Comment

Seems to me the deputy straight up lost his cool. It also appeared (citizen opinion) that the deputy was egging the subject on. And just like the Sheriff said:
                            Looks like other than the smart *** comment made by the subject, there was no reason for the stop. I think the deputy got what he deserved.
                            The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                            George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by gui4life86 View Post
                              I have heard of cities implementing some type of law where you cant expose your underwear (by having your pants hang or lack of pants.) Not sure if this city is one of them.
                              While not well versed in the law, I havent heard anything about that. But I do know that if one felt the need, there is nothing illegal about walking around in public in your underwear (Michigan).
                              The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                              George Carlin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3437 users online. 151 members and 3286 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X