300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting new cruisers?

So I have heard they are shutting down the VIC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is true, have you heard what your department is getting? I've heard a few around here are getting the Chevy Malibu. It is a LOT smaller. I was just wondering if any of you had heard this and your thoughts on it?

Fenix
    dubbed code name: Alien #69

Rumor had it that the crown vic production was going to be ended in 2010. A trooper up here said they extended their contract. I have no idea what to believe or think of. I guess when it happens it happens

Comment

Chevy Impalas

Comment

The CVPI is being produced until 2010.

Ford has a new car coming out called the Interceptor which is geared for LE. Other big LE cars are Chevy impalas, and Dodge Chargers.
        sigpic

Comment

The consumer CV has already been shut down; it's now strictly a fleet vehicle.

Found this release from 2006, where they said it will be produced "well into the future":

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...tureOfCVPI.doc
          Don't ever pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter
          Sorry, champ. Armoring your nads is weird, so deal with it.

Comment

That rumor has been going around for years and years, at least since the mid-90s.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Ain't happening. The CVPI will be produced for a while to come. The CV, civilian version is going bye-bye. But as someone posted, the CVPI is now strictly a fleet vehicle. Why the hell would Ford stop making something that they have the market by the balls on?

Personally, I wouldn't want to drive anything except a CVPI.
              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I doubt yall will be getting Malibu's for patrol cars. We have them for our detectives and traffic, but there's no way you could fit a cage in there.

Comment

Towncop is spot on. I've heard they will continue the PI as well. Personally, when I see CV's of any kind, *police* instantly enters my brain. Not so for the others - With exception of the Charger, but I've heard more bad than good from the local guys...

The agency in the city where I used to live is rumored to be rolling out the Prius for their detectives...
                  "...I'm gonna' ride that one-legged pony to baloney town..."

"I just assume most people are half-retarded, and it's my job to remind 'em."

Comment

Correct. The Crown Vic (now known as the "Police Interceptor" or CVPI) is only available as a "fleet" vehicle for the 2008 model year. Private sales/retail orders through regular Ford dealerships are pretty much history for this car. I would assume that the Ford Crown Vic is still going to be sold to law enforcement agencies, other types of government entities, and perhaps to taxicab companies. (Not sure about rental car companies, though.)

If you want a Crown Vic badly enough and don't want to wait for a police auction, you can still buy or lease a new Mercury Grand Marquis - essentially the same car. Grandma can still have her large trunk for groceries and the weekend antique sale.

Chevy sells "police packages" for the thirsty Tahoe SUV and the front-drive Impala (smaller than the CVPI, of course, but I have not a clue as to whether or not a cop version of the new '08 Malibu is offered by GM. I have heard rumors that GM is considering a large, rear-drive car suited for pursuit duty, but don't know anything definitive. (No, the bathtub Caprice is not coming back!)

Chrysler has the Charger, which is a decent patrol vehicle, but is also smaller than the Crown Vic. At least they offer both V6 and V8 engines - depending upon the needs of the department. BTW, the Magnum pseudo-wagon has been discontinued. Maybe it is the Charger or the Durango for you, huh?

If Ford dumps the Crown Vic after 2010, what are they going to do? Upfit the Taurus/500 chassis (front-drive) for patrol duty? Bring back the special service Mustang? Your guess is as good as mine.

The tooling, equipment and factory (in Canada) where Crown Vics are assembled is long-since paid off, and has been proven profitable time and time again; so why change it? They have 70+ percent of the police market, so why mess with success? GM and Chrysler have begun fighting back for the law enforcement market, so Ford is not the only game in town the way they were for several years (when the Diplomat & Caprice were both killed off).

Only time will tell.

Whatever happend to that "Carbon Motors" car that was supposed to be the cat's meow for the future of patrol cars?

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

HOLY HELL... THIS might replace the CVPI? Wow...
                      "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
                      for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Comment

Chevrolet needs to re-launch the Caprice (B-Body) platform
                        Quote of the week: "I was going how fast? And that's a school zone?"

Comment

thanks for the info guy. it makes sense to me now that the vic will be police only kind of thing, i didnt see it on the website. as for the malibu being to small for a cage, one of the departments around here, the one rumored to get the malibu, doesnt use them any way and puts passengers upfront. thanks again for the info

Comment

I think Pontiac should come out with a police model G8. It seems like the perfect candidate - V8 and V6 versions, pretty roomy, etc. They already use the platform in Australia.

Comment

agreed...love a pontiac

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4837 users online. 292 members and 4545 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X