300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect dies from shot to the tail section

I hardly know what to say about this one....

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story...154185&catid=3
    KSDK -- St. Louis County Police are investigating the case of a man who died from a bullet wound from an officer's weapon while he was being arrested. It happened early Saturday morning on North Hanley Road, at the top of the eastbound exit from Interstate 70.

Family members say Ernest Aaron Jr., 23, of St. Louis, died from a gunshot wound received while in police custody. Aaron was driving his mother's car.

Don Kraher has been police chief in Edmundson for 2 1/2 years. "He was coming through the city of Edmundson at an excessive rate of speed, and driving erratically...switching lane-to-lane, and in-and-out of traffic," Kraher said during a news conference Saturday afternoon.

Kraher said police were pursuing Aaron with lights and sirens, at speeds around 80 miles per hour. Kraher said Aaron was struck in the buttocks by a bullet from the police sergeant's gun and later died from his wound. Kraher said the shooting happened after Aaron drove up on the median in the middle of North Hanley, flattening two tires in what police believe was an attempt to flee.

Kraher characterized the officer's decision to draw his weapon. "Not knowing what he had, he got them out at gunpoint."

Chief Kraher said the officer involved is a sergeant with 16 years of experience. Kraher said the sergeant was holding his weapon in his right hand; he switched the gun to his left hand, so he could handcuff the suspect, who was on the ground, using his dominant hand. That's when the shooting happened.

"We're not sure what was the actual mechanism for the gun going off, whether it was the officer's finger, whether it was the suspect's finger as he was reaching back," Kraher said. "We're not actually sure."

Kraher says it appears the police sergeant followed police policy. He was asked what would make the shooting justifiable.

"The justified portion was that he was making an arrest that was a justifiable arrest. He had his weapon drawn for his own protection, not knowing where the other individual was."

An 18-year-old passenger in the car was not harmed or charged in the incident.

Asked whether he believe this was a justifiable shooting, Chief Kraher said, "Yes, in my opinion. Although, I say a justified shooting; the intent was not there to shoot the individual. That was the end result, but that wasn't the intent."

Kraher said he was confident his police sergeant would be cleared. "I'm more confident that it was a tragedy. A tragedy for the family of the individual, and a tragedy for the officer, as well, in that...he now has to live with that for the rest of his life."

The Edmundson Police sergeant involved is still on duty. Chief Kraher says under the circumstances, he saw no need to place the unidentified sergeant on administrative leave.

Aaron's father has declined comment until he has had a chance to consult an attorney.
    ....but I'll admit my wife got a chuckle out of it.

Originally posted by velobard View Post
    I hardly know what to say about this one....

....but I'll admit my wife got a chuckle out of it.
    I didn't find that story the least bit funny. Did she get a chuckle out of it because he was shot in the rear?
    Last edited by OfficerDotCom; 09-09-2008, 06:11 AM. Reason: removed personal insult
    sigpic

Comment

a tragedy for the officer, as well, in that...he now has to live with that for the rest of his life."
      Yep thats really something to chuckle about. The man was shot and died. now a LEO has to live with this due to the persons actions causing the shot.

I woldn't want to be in his shoes right now. Nor the families shoes.
      what if...
      the LEO had been shot instead? would you be chuckling then?
      What if the family sues and now this officer of 16 years has to defende himself again, chuckle time? I'm with KY blue- get out of elementary school and grow up.
      ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
      Oscar Wilde

Comment

A tragic event that will have many ramifications in the coming months, if not years. The sergeant will have to live with the circumstances of his actions - intended or not - for life.

A family has lost a son for no plausible reason other than the unintentional discharge of a handgun in the hands of a trained professional.

I don't find the slightest humor in the event.

For your information, a shot to the posterior can sever an artery, rupture the colon, tear the lower gastro-intestinal tract to shreds, ricochet off of bone into the liver, kidneys, spleen, aorta, lungs, heart stomach, bladder, etc.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

.........The Edmundson Police sergeant involved is still on duty. Chief Kraher says under the circumstances, he saw no need to place the unidentified sergeant on administrative leave...

Whoa....

I would've thought that this incident would've been too traumatic to not put the officer on admin leave for a couple of days. I
          Last edited by LeanG; 09-08-2008, 09:36 AM.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by KY Blue 72 View Post
            I didn't find that story the least bit funny. Did she get a chuckle out of it because he was shot in the rear? Is she attending elementary school?
            No, she works in an ER at a major trauma center where having a very black sense of humor is a survival skill.

Yes it's a tragic situation. It also sounds like a possible ND was involved.

Comment

It also sounds like a possible ND was involved.
              I think you are right on that. The only way for the weapon to have gone off is if the trigger was pulled. Guns don't just magically fire. I hate to speculate, but my guess would be that the officer got complacent with procedure and had is finger on the trigger when he was cuffing him.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KY Blue 72 View Post
                The only way for the weapon to have gone off is if the trigger was pulled.
                Well, hold on. The trigger could have been pushed by an object other than the officer's finger. That's why you won't find an agency in Kuhleefoahneeuh that teaches handcuffing - or any activity - when one is pointing a loaded firearm at a subject. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Also, although not in this case, Glock says their handguns should not fire unless the trigger safety is depressed first. I heard (for what that's worth) somewhere they guarantee it won't go off when dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                  Well, hold on. The trigger could have been pushed by an object other than the officer's finger. That's why you won't find an agency in Kuhleefoahneeuh that teaches handcuffing - or any activity - when one is pointing a loaded firearm at a subject. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Also, although not in this case, Glock says their handguns should not fire unless the trigger safety is depressed first. I heard (for what that's worth) somewhere they guarantee it won't go off when dropped.
                  Yes that's what I meant. Whether the trigger was pulled by an object or a finger. But lets be honest here, how likely is it that something other than his finger pulled the trigger?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG View Post
                    Whoa....

I would've thought that this incident would've been too traumatic to not put the officer on admin leave for a couple of days. I
                    Yeah, I tend to agree. One thing that *might* be a factor in this situation is that Edmundson is a tiny little burg covering 0.3 sq/mi. Taking this officer out of commission could easily knock out a major percentage of their total force. I've lived in this county most of my life, and it still gets me when I hear about these little juridisdictions that I don't recall hearing mentioned before. I have to say, there are times when I really wish state pre-emption covered a few more laws so we wouldn't be responsible for keeping track of the little idiocincracies with 100 different jurisdictions in a single county.

For those who still don't get it (I figured most people would on a LEO forum), my wife's humor about the situation wasn't "gee it's funny that he died", but more "what a way to have to go!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5788 users online. 361 members and 5427 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X