300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling someone over without lights?

I went through a lead foot phase a few years ago (it's over now).

Twice when I was speeding, in different jurisdictions, the officer would come close and sit behind me with no lights. And sit some more. And sit some more. When they lit me up, I would immediately and carefully pull over. The first words out of the officers' mouths was a snide "Nice of you to stop!" My first impulse, which I successfully avoided, was to say, "well gee officer, if you wanted me to stop earlier, why didn't you light me up earlier?"

Were these officers having a bad day? I had never seen these tactics applied before. Usually when officers want me to stop they light me up and I pull over. I have a lot of respect for officers and don't want to be a cop-hater, but I am having difficulty now and this still bothers me today.

These stops happened in Ohio. Is Ohio law different from other states? I am originally from Massachusetts and went to college in New York State, and when they stop you, they light you up right away which makes it a lot easier to deal with.

Thank you, officers, for all you do.

The Officer was probably running your plate, looking for expired tags, things of that nature. About how long were they behind you before they lit you up each time and was it night or day?
    dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

meh...

If you'da pulled over sooner you'd have looked more guilty than you already were. Besides, sounds like they may have chewed you out for stopping before he was ready anyways.

You did right, don't sweat life.

BTW... good job dodging the sarcasm.

Comment

Not to offer an excuse, but many newer officers tend to get too close to the violator and forget that their roof lights may not be visible through a rearview mirror. It happens!

When I rode motors, I frequently pulled alongside a vehicle a waved the driver to the shoulder while holding back traffic. Did not use emergency lights for those stops, just the rear flashers as a warning to approaching traffic. In fact, been known for doing the same in a patrol car.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

well if it happened how you said it happened, gj on not being a smartass back to him. Drive safe.
          "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

"Nice of you to stop!" Maybe he said this becuase you stopped and so many others do not stop...........
            Last edited by djblank87; 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fenix View Post
              The Officer was probably running your plate, looking for expired tags, things of that nature. About how long were they behind you before they lit you up each time and was it night or day?
              I would understand completely if he was doing anything you said he might be doing. It was daytime both times, and both claimed they were behind me "for about a mile." Every time I've been stopped before, they lit me up instantly. I just could have dealt without the snide comments.

I appreciate the understanding of those of you who replied to my posts. I feel a little better now, but I'm pulling over EVERY TIME an officer is behind me from now on. They have made me a bit paranoid, unfortunately.

Comment

If a police car is tailing you, and you pull aside, the officer may go on by, or may follow you onto the shoulder. If you've been speeding, the officer may appreciate your awareness of his presence behind you, and your having pulled over without his having had to light you up may tip a balance in your favor. Sometimes when an officer is confrontational or sarcastic on a stop he's doing an attitude check. He might want to know whether you're guilty of something, hostile to the public or to the police, or a regular decent and responsible person who maybe was just being lax with himself about adherence to the rules of the road. I think you were right to bite your tongue, and it seems to me by your account that things worked out well for you in the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                  I like to tail along behind them while watching them look in the mirror and sweating, it doesn't matter if they have done anything, i just like the power I feel surging through my body, i have an evil grin on my face as i toy and fondle the light and siren switch, just as they are about to pop a nut, i cruise on by with a satisfied feeling that I just scared the crap out of another driver.
                  Thats funny right there.
                  "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

I like to tail along behind them while watching them look in the mirror and sweating, it doesn't matter if they have done anything, i just like the power I feel surging through my body, i have an evil grin on my face as i toy and fondle the light and siren switch, just as they are about to pop a nut, i cruise on by with a satisfied feeling that I just scared the crap out of another driver.
                    That's beyond aweful. Not even funny....

Comment

MY tactic now that I have done nothing illegal in over a decade if I am followed closely is to begin slowing down.....the typical close following goes on after what I call the "witching hour"...1am to 2 am. Anyway I start to slow down, the more I am followed the slower I go (there is no minimum speed on most roads here)...at times I have gotten down to 20mph. Both parties know what is going on :-)....eventually they get bored and either pass or do a U-turn and go back where they came from.

I passed a Sheriff once going about 80(still winding it up too)...and pulled over right away....he did a U and pulled in behind me, and gave me a ticket :-). It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Bill
                      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I have been doing this for 23 years....just what the hell are you talking about.
                        I was writing to suggest how one might respond in the situation described.

It happened to me once when I was a kid driving a car with a D (Deutchland - i.e. Germany) sticker, and British plates. I slowed down and moved to the side. Officer asked for license and registration. I showed him the original title, which was in German, in the traditional script. He shook his head. He told me to tell my Dad to register the car here. No ticket.

If there's something in my post that raises questions for you, then if you would please be specific about what, I'll try to provide an appropriate response.

Comment

Monty, why would an officer be sarcastic or confrontational on a stop? What would this accomplish? I don't understand this tactic. What would he hope to gain from this except a sarcastic and confrontational motorist.
                          I got stopped once for speeding....the car had larger than stock tires, when the speedo said "55" it was going 62. It was a bit foggy.....I passed a car that immediately did a U-turn and lit me up. So I pulled over. Ohio State Trooper.

His opening line was "I don't know about YOU but I can't SEE out here"....delivered in a loud and stern voice.

My mental reply that I did not utter was "WELL apparently you could SEE well enough to do a U-turn on US6 (williams county ohio)".

He insisted he had me at 67 which my GPS and a stopwatch and a good half dozen "your speed is" billboards disagreed with. I took my ticket, signed it, and went on with life :-). But yea I have always wondered if every stop he made he opened the conversation literally shaking with rage.

Bill
                          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Detention Deputy (In Process)

Deputy Sheriff/KS State Trooper (After Detention)

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other off." -Tommy Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                              I got stopped once for speeding....the car had larger than stock tires, when the speedo said "55" it was going 62. It was a bit foggy.....I passed a car that immediately did a U-turn and lit me up. So I pulled over. Ohio State Trooper.

His opening line was "I don't know about YOU but I can't SEE out here"....delivered in a loud and stern voice.

My mental reply that I did not utter was "WELL apparently you could SEE well enough to do a U-turn on US6 (williams county ohio)".

He insisted he had me at 67 which my GPS and a stopwatch and a good half dozen "your speed is" billboards disagreed with. I took my ticket, signed it, and went on with life :-). But yea I have always wondered if every stop he made he opened the conversation literally shaking with rage.

Bill

Sounds like high-bloodpressure.
                              Detention Deputy (In Process)

Deputy Sheriff/KS State Trooper (After Detention)

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other off." -Tommy Cooper

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4932 users online. 255 members and 4677 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X