300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patroling and FM radio

So when you are patroling in the unit, what do u listen to on the FM radio. I very rarely listen to music anymore. I either listen to talk radio (coast to coast am on midnight shift) of classical music during the day. I find that classical clears my head and help me observe more.....

considering the remotness of my patrol area, it's usually whatever station I can get to come over the airwaves.

Country, oldies, classical, talk radio (not just political).
    He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

Comment

I guess it depends on where you work. While I'm at work, its very busy with constant radio chatter. I'd much rather hear whats going on around me than the latest song. But, I'm also one of those guys who drive around in the winter with the window 1/3 of the way down. Again, want to hear whats going on. My brother in law works for a suburban public safety department and he says that he's gone 8-10 days without getting a run b-4. So there, I guess it would help combat the boredom, but as a general rule. I say no.
      There is more law at the end of a policemans' nightstick than in all the decisions of the Supreme Court.

FRY MUMIA & RODNEY KING DESERVED IT!!!!

Comment

we usally run about 10-15 calls a shift. That is why i listen to classical or talk because you dont have to blast it. I use to put my sirius in the car and listen to Howard Stern. Every hear that sirius had a program for LEO, if it was installed in a cruiser, the service is free, the radio just has to be purchased.

Comment

Usually nothing. However, when I do it is either classical or contemporary Christian... especially if I have a back seat passenger . One may drive them crazy and the other may do them some good.
          "They keep creating new ways of celebrating mediocrity" - Mr. Incredible

The future is not some place we are going,
          it is one we are creating.
          The paths are not to be found,
          they are to be made.
          And the activity of making them
          changes both the creator,
          and the destination.

Comment

I've got Sirius in my squad... if it's busy, the radio isn't even on though. I'm in a remote area where the radio can be quiet for hours at a time in the middle of the night though... and when it's quiet I'll listen to anything from Octane to the New Country station... also will switch to Stern, the comedy channels, and news.

Comment

We listen to the POLICE RADIO out here.....the cars actually have the FM/AM radios removed from them on purpose.......

Muzac wouldnt be very pleasant anyway with at least 2 (and sometime 3-4) different freqs going at once......
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

+1 for Sirius!

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                  We listen to the POLICE RADIO out here.....the cars actually have the FM/AM radios removed from them on purpose.......

Muzac wouldnt be very pleasant anyway with at least 2 (and sometime 3-4) different freqs going at once......
                  C'mon, LADEP! No 12s in the trunk?

Before I retired I had 1 270 watt bridged system and thumped all night. On days, it was talk radio - Rush, Sean, etc.

But, I know in your case, who would have five minutes to even listen to it?
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post

Before I retired I had 1 270 watt bridged system and thumped all night. On days, it was talk radio - Rush, Sean, etc.

I think it MIGHT be even against policy to have a portable in the car, except for an AM radio in case of emergencies (Earthquakes, Floods, Fires (which will be next month), Riots ect)......

You MIGHT have some time to listen on earlies.....like between 0400-0500.....
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I never listen to the radio while working. I find it too distracting.

Comment

I listen to XM. I go crazy without some background noise. I still hear my other radios but somehow I need the background as well. I'm just weird that way. Lately I listen to the XM Popular Classical station and I find it relaxing between calls.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post

Well, you were highway patrol in Wyoming! Isn't there like no one on the road?

I want to see a cop coming up to a red light with his trunk thumping with rap, it'd make a good 10 second youtube video.

Comment

When I was on mids, I used to find ghost stories on AM radio. I swear, one cold rainy night I saw a person dressed all in black cross in front of my unit and disappeared in the grass.
                            "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by rgv_cop View Post
                              When I was on mids, I used to find ghost stories on AM radio. I swear, one cold rainy night I saw a person dressed all in black cross in front of my unit and disappeared in the grass.
                              Who do cops call if they get scared

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5694 users online. 326 members and 5368 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X