Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet killed

By Cynthia Cisneros

PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A decorated soldier has been murdered. After serving two tours in Iraq, the Houston man was found dead over the weekend. His dog was also killed.

It's a mystery to Christopher Mayo's family and police. Mayo was home from Iraq only four months. His family said Christopher was planning a future with his girlfriend. Instead, his heartbroken family is planning their son's funeral.

The Mayo family says their son fought for them and now it's their turn to fight for their son. They want to find out why their son died this past weekend so suddenly and so violently.

"It's not right to go fight over there, to give us freedom to live here, he comes home and gets killed here in his own city, his own home," said Christopher's father, James Mayo. "It's not right."

Mayo's body was found Sunday inside his car in a west Houston apartment parking lot. Authorities say Mayo had been shot in the head and his car set on fire. His dog, Boudreaux, was dead in the back seat, burned in the fire.

We were there when Mayo returned home from Iraq last year. He survived two tours of duty, combat and a rocket propelled grenade that narrowly missed his Hummer in Rhamadi.

"If they wanted to steal the car, why would they burn it," said James Mayo. "They didn't take his cell phone. They didn't take his mp3 player. He actually had a gun with him."

Mayo was living with his parents in their Pasadena home. His father says Christopher spent Saturday night at home, going out for a few minutes to buy cigarettes at the corner convenience store.

Mayo says his son went to bed around 2am. When James Mayo woke up Sunday morning around 8am, his son was gone.

Houston police called a couple hours later to say Christopher was dead. Investigators found Christopher's gun inside the burned car.

"I don't know why, being that he was Army trained and all that, why wouldn't he have been able to pull and use it if he had to, but he never took the gun out of the house," said James. "Just the one time that morning."

While the family waits for answers, they cling to better times, proudly showing their son's numerous service medals and accommodations.

"He didn't deserve what he got," said James. "He didn't deserve that."

We spoke with Houston police investigators, who say they have no answers yet. They believe Christopher may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Meanwhile, his family is working with the Army to bury their son with full military honors at the Veterans War Memorial in northwest Houston.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6368906
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

This is just outrageous.
    There is no reason that this should happen....to anyone especially a vet. (and His Dog)

I hope they find the perps and throw the book (and some other things are him/her/them). This was on the news right after McCain.
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

What was he doing at that apartment parking lot early in the morning???
      There are way too many answers to this story unanswered ... but at face value this is not cool at all.
      There is nothing to see here.

Comment

My side of town.... Houston sucks.

Comment

There's something wrong about this, but then again, I don't know where in Houston he was.

Comment

Sorry but my suspicion sense is tickled because Pops said his son normally didn't take the gun out of the house. I have to think there's a chance he was into something he knew might end like this. What exactly? I don't know.

I can't believe people kill dogs. It boggles my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
              Sorry but my suspicion sense is tickled because Pops said his son normally didn't take the gun out of the house. I have to think there's a chance he was into something he knew might end like this. What exactly? I don't know.

I can't believe people kill dogs. It boggles my mind.

I agree Feanor. Something's not quite right.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
              and I'm not sure about the former.
              -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

I smell a mystery in the air
                "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

That is sad to see that another United States Veteran had to die. Now looking at the evidence here yall are right something fishy here why did they kill the dog. Where was his gun was it put away was it in his hand was it besied him. Why is this the only time that he took his gun with him what was he into that he was taking a possibility of getting shot of course he was in houston hell just walking onto your front porch there will get you shot. but there are too many strange things going on here not to be negative but it would not surprise me if he did not kill the dog light the car and then kill himself and the way he did it he set it up to make it look like someone else did it but I am just looking at what evidence I have. Texaschickee will you keep us up to date on this I would like to know the outcome and also where can I find this article at
                  Lawdog TCSO
                  In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                  well daisy if you do

Comment

I saw a Forensic Files episode a couple days ago with a poor guy executed while he slept. The guy who did it was a supposed "friend" who had aspirations to join the Mob as a hitman .

He did it for guns (money) and drugs. The irony was a dog witnessed the whole thing and he transported the dog to a remote area to drop it off. Dog DNA linked him to the murder.
                    -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Just based off of this story, and not knowing anything else about it, I would say he knew his killer. It would explain why the gun was not “drawn” why would he, he knew the killer and did not feel a threat, he might have known there was the possibility of a threat, but not from who shot him. The dog, that was personal the killer was sending a message that this was personal, might be a drug deal gone bad, If it is the area of Huston I am thinking drug deals are not uncommon there, might be related to the girlfriend, he was away and the cats came out to play. Now that he is back and she is with him jealousy took over and he was killed. I do not buy the “wrong place at the wrong time” theory this is all just way too personal. Any how it sucks that someone can go over to a war zone twice and survive only to come back and die weather by his actions or someone else’s.
                      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                        Just based off of this story, and not knowing anything else about it, I would say he knew his killer. It would explain why the gun was not “drawn” why would he, he knew the killer and did not feel a threat, he might have known there was the possibility of a threat, but not from who shot him. The dog, that was personal the killer was sending a message that this was personal, might be a drug deal gone bad, If it is the area of Huston I am thinking drug deals are not uncommon there, might be related to the girlfriend, he was away and the cats came out to play. Now that he is back and she is with him jealousy took over and he was killed. I do not buy the “wrong place at the wrong time” theory this is all just way too personal. Any how it sucks that someone can go over to a war zone twice and survive only to come back and die weather by his actions or someone else’s.
                        +1.....

Were missing a few details from this story, but DACP you pretty said everything I was thinking.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

what had happened was he seen old boy holdin heat so he pop him and dog act up and then he burn the car to cover up man
                          Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I'm with the its a personal thing thery thats is being said. The west side (not identifed as where just WEST) is a 'better part" the others. At this time The parents have upped the reward money.
                            lawdog, yes I intended to keep you guys posted. There are way too many vets here that can get word back to let his buddies know- and they deserve to know.
                            next post....heres the link!
                            http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/5984640.html
                            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Crime Stoppers announced a reward Thursday for information that helps solve a June home invasion that resulted in the deaths of a Pasadena couple and the severe wounding of their teenage son.

A reward of up to $22,500 is being offered for any tip that leads to an arrest and charges for the robbery in which Leo Gomez Sr. and his wife, Milagro Vanegas, both 53, were killed, and their son, Leo Gomez Jr., 16, was seriously hurt.

All three were shot in the head when two men robbed them at their home at 2616 Burke in Pasadena on June 24. Vanegas also had three plastic bags tied over her head and was cut 11 times on the neck.

The couple's son survived, but has been hospitalized ever since and is still undergoing physical therapy. Police have not yet been able to interview him at length.

The intruders stole pistols, rifles and an undetermined amount of cash from the family's home.

Pasadena police are continuing to look for George Alberto Amezquita, 36, whom they described as a person of interest. He has not been seen or heard from since the crime and is the only person the police have not been able to locate for questioning.

Amezquita used to work as a hydraulic mechanic at the elder Gomez's demolition yard, police said. The two men had a falling out in February during a dispute over money, said Pasadena police detective Jon Jernigan.

Amezquita and Gomez Sr. had opened a bar together in Houston as business partners, but it closed three weeks after opening, Jernigan said.

Amezquita is known to move frequently and has ties to Pasadena, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas and Louisiana. He has a criminal record, but for mostly minor offenses.

Amezquita was convicted in 2005 of criminal mischief and received deferred adjudication in 1994 for prostitution, Harris County court records show. He also was convicted in 1990 of auto theft and evading arrest.

He also is known to go by the names Jorge Amezquita, Abel Gonzalez, Carlito Morales, Carlito Escalante and Johnny Calderon, police said.

The couple's children pleaded Thursday for the public's help in solving the crime.

"We are still mourning the loss," said Leesa Galvan of Lubbock, the daughter of Gomez Sr. "We ask the people of Houston, Pasadena and the surrounding community to come together and call Crime Stoppers."

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 713-222-TIPS.
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4390 users online. 286 members and 4104 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X