Does anyone have them?

Process on how they work?

Opinions on them?

Thanks..

Originally posted by mike81 View Post
    Does anyone have them?
    Im sure there is one somewhere.

Process on how they work?
    A group of citizens get together and review Police.

Opinions on them?
    They are great.

Thanks..
    Your welcome!

Sorry for the sarcastic statements, but I couldnt help myself.

I actually dont know what you are referring to. Are you thinking of "Board of Citizens" to review and help manage police officers and their departments? If so, I think there is already the town/city council to bring up police matters.
    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
    George Carlin

Comment

Not sure what you are asking....but my Department will have a few civilians on an Oral Board (one of the final steps in our hiring practices). Our civilians are usually a Dispatcher and possibly a member of the City Council, or a past member of the C.P.A. (Citizens Police Academy).

Hope this helps!

Comment

thanks for your replies.. but i was talking about some thing like this

The Citizen Police Review Board (CPRB) is an independent agency set up to investigate citizen complaints about improper police conduct. The CPRB can only investigate complaints related to the City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Police and any officer thereof. The CPRB does not handle complaints about BBI, Fire, EMS, or any other department, bureau, or division within the City of Pittsburgh.

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/cprb/

Comment

Are you talking about the Citizens' Review Board that's supposed to review & evaluate complaints about the police? If so, we have that here, and it's pretty much widely considered a complete joke/waste of time. The CRB has no authority to compel a police officer to show up nor to impose any penalties. I suppose it might be worthwhile if someone thinks they have a complaint about how the police did something and filing their (useless) complaint w/ the CRB satisfies their need to complain w/o filing a lawsuit or if it were some sort of screening group (file a complaint, it goes before the CRB and is either circular filed or sent on) instead of a "isn't it awful" sounding board.

I'm not really sure how it works, as I haven't bothered with them. The one time I had a complaint (and that was seventeen years ago, so overall I really do not have complaints about the way the police in my city do their job), I skipped that whole process & addressed official channels (and all I'll say about that is that the upshot was my complaint was valid, and while I don't know what happened to the detective as a consequence, his lieutenant came to personally apologize for what had happened). I really wouldn't do anything different if I thought I had a complaint in the future--they're certainly free to tell me that I'm all wet and don't understand/nothing outside of policy was done if that's the case, but in the event that someone does have a valid complaint, it's much better to just go directly to those who can do something about it, and that's not the CRB.
          Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Q Public View Post
            and it's pretty much widely considered a complete joke/waste of time.
            +1

it's much better to just go directly to those who can do something about it, and that's not the CRB.
            +2
            The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
            George Carlin

Comment

None of the agencies I have worked for had a civilian review board. The agencies conducted all personnel investigations fairly and unbiased and their conclusions and recommendations reflected those facts. No need for outside review in agencies like that.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I'm retired from the Alabama Dept of Public Safety. The unit within the Department which investigates allegations of Officer misconduct is the Standards and Integrity Unit. All citizen complaints are investigated, initially by a Supervisor, and if warranted, the complaint is referred to the S&I Unit. Should the complaint be found to be warranted, appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including termination can be taken by the Director. Should evidence of criminal wrong doing occur, the investigation is turned over to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation for further investigation. The ability and willingness of a department to investigate citizen complaints, and take appropriate action when warranted, eliminates any need or justification for Civilian Review Boards.

Comment

We utilize a civilian review board. The board consists of about 4 civilians and 4 officers. After a serious complaint is investigated and sustained they will look at it and suggest discipline, suspension etc. They read the complaint packet, officers do not report to the board. The board carries no weight but what they recommend goes straight to the chief who takes it into consideration. If it is serious enough that firing the officer may be an option, that officer’s supervisors may show up at the meeting and plead the officers case for them and give information that may not be included in the investigative packet.

The officers on the board give guidance, direction, explain departmental policy etc. and have an equal vote.

Small complaints like missed court, rudeness would not go through the civilian review board.

This is just general info. may not be exactly right but it's my understanding how it works here.
                  Originally posted by ISPY4U2
                  Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Comment

It's like a group of plumbers telling an electrician how to hang a ceiling fan.
                    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by andy5746 View Post
                      It's like a group of plumbers telling an electrician how to hang a ceiling fan.
                      Perfect description of the OIR......
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

It's like going to a jury trial. You either have good citizens with common sense, or you have the ... other ones..... my dept had fired an officer after political war off of 1 complaint that was not proven. The citizens review board voted that he should not be fired, so the city gave him his job back before he owned every city building in site.
                        Last edited by 355339; 09-05-2008, 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158260 users online. 127 members and 158133 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X