300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Vote now the Police

A woman in Hancock County, TN wrote her name in on the Constable ballot. She won the election with her sole vote. Now she is a peace officer with full law enforcement powers.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=61917

Balancing a pair of jobs and family just wasn't giving Angie Tuttle "enough headaches".

She felt like something was missing, and she got to thinking how much she enjoyed riding around Sneedville with her father as a child.

He was a police officer, and they'd do welfare checks at local businesses, just making sure doors were locked and everything was ok.

She missed that action.

"I kind of got to liking that, until I forgot it years down the road. Then my Dad mentioned to me, I ought to run for constable," Tuttle said.

At a time when some politicians declare candidacy years before an election and grow massive campaign organizations, all while raking in millions of dollars---Tuttle decided she'd run about two months ago.

"I didn't spend any money, so I guess it's ok," she said.

She was too late to get her name on the ballot in Hancock County but she filed paperwork with the election commission anyway. Shortly after, she started urging friends to write her in for constable. None of them did, but it turns out, she didn't need the votes.

"There was only one vote for me. That was myself," Tuttle said.

Basically, Tuttle elected herself. She won the constable race 1-0.

"I didn't think she'd won it, I thought she was trying to fool with me!" said a co-worker at the Valley View Market and Deli, Aileen Roper.

"It's very unusual I guess," Tuttle said. "The only woman in the county that's ever had the constable position."

As if the vote count wasn't enough, Tuttle also broke through a constable glass ceiling in Hancock County. No woman has ever held the position.

"I'm proud she won it, I think a woman can do it as well as a man," Roper said.

Tuttle is now preparing to dish out subpoenas as constable and Friday's catfish special on the job at Valley View.

She knows challenges are on the way, some of them maybe because of her gender, but she believes she's ready.

Besides, she's got the perfect guy to give her advice. Her father is now serving as constable in a different Hancock County district. He won re-election Thursday.

"Well, I always say, if you leave everybody alone, they'll leave you alone, so... I'm just going to get my running shoes, I may need to run from some people," she said with a laugh.
    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

we've talked about TN constables before in another thread, but the office is kind of a joke in rural areas. Its no big deal and definately isn't like being a real police officer.
    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Err, not in Grainger, Hancock, and Fentress counties. The constables outnumber the road deputies in those counties and participate in daily law enforcement. I agree with your point, just not in all counties.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. Peace Officer status with no training or experience. Let's hope she is not the first female constable killed while serving a subpoena.

Comment

If she wants to carry a firearm, she will need to attend an eight hour course. She will also need to attend a 40 hour in-service if she is going to be putting blue lights on her POV.

You would think that at least her husband would have voted for her as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
            If she wants to carry a firearm, she will need to attend an eight hour course. She will also need to attend a 40 hour in-service if she is going to be putting blue lights on her POV.

You would think that at least her husband would have voted for her as well.
            48 hrs of training, thats it? She doesn't have to attended a formal academy? That is like making a 2nd day rookie officer Chief Of Police! What could wrong with that? WOW!
            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              Sounds like a great idea. Peace Officer status with no training or experience. Let's hope she is not the first female constable killed while serving a subpoena.
              What he said. I'm glad things don't work that way where I live.

Comment

Her dad said that he would show her the "ropes."

"When she's sworn in Dec. 1, Dad can coach her on the fine points of issuing subpoenas, serving warrants, and checking the locks on places of business after hours."

"In this case her one vote did count. Once sworn in the 32-year-old will help patrol neighborhoods and serve warrants as constable."

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                  48 hrs of training, thats it? She doesn't have to attended a formal academy? That is like making a 2nd day rookie officer Chief Of Police! What could wrong with that? WOW!
                  Not fair, everyone has to attend the Police Academy. She might want to run for President next election.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    I agree....

Hopefully, she knows the lesson of the constable down in Texas who was murdered in the line of duty (which was captured by his dash cam) after he got in way over his head
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                      I agree....

Hopefully, she knows the lesson of the constable down in Texas who was murdered in the line of duty (which was captured by his dash cam) after he got in way over his head
                      Down here they are required to be Peace Officers. If they are not then they have to be certified by a set date. I don't know the full story about the constible in Texas but i would imagine he was already a peace officer.

Please correct me if im wrong because i would like to know what situation is being mentioned.
                      The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                      -Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider911 View Post
                        Down here they are required to be Peace Officers. If they are not then they have to be certified by a set date. I don't know the full story about the constible in Texas but i would imagine he was already a peace officer.

Please correct me if im wrong because i would like to know what situation is being mentioned.
                        The video is rather infamous, and gets shown pretty widely......his name was Darrell Lunsford.....

Here is the link to his odmp.org page:

http://www.odmp.org/officer/166-cons...rd-lunsford-sr.

I have always been told in training that he had to little to no training, and was elected to his position.....
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                          The video is rather infamous, and gets shown pretty widely......his name was Darrell Lunsford.....

Here is the link to his odmp.org page:

http://www.odmp.org/officer/166-cons...rd-lunsford-sr.

I have always been told in training that he had to little to no training, and was elected to his position.....

I heard the same as well. That video was the first thing that ran through my head when I read the above article.
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

RedRaider,

The Lunsford incident was in early 1991.....the rules may have been different then.....or may have been changed BECAUSE of it.....dont know one way or the other.....

Comment

Ok, now i know which incident is being talked about. Yes he would have been elected as a constable but he still would have had to attend at least a basic peace officer academy unless that is just a recent change. But he certainly could have been undertrained.
                              The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                              -Neal Boortz

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5761 users online. 328 members and 5433 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X