Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever I go near a high-security event, I am very careful to ensure that my weapon is concealed, if I carry it at all. I do not want to alarm the law enforcement officers providing security, regardless of legality.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Badkharma View Post
      So....don't open carry because you'll spur law makers into making it illegal to...open carry?
      To a degree, yes. Open carry has never been scrutinized because it wasn't an issue. It was usually left alone because nobody saw a need to address it. Usually people on their way to or from shooting events or hunting would carry but nobody paid attention. Recently people are making an issue of it by advertising their "rights" to openly carry firearms and do so just going to and from.

Some have staged events just basically inviting the public to call and then turning it on the police when they show up. This type of activity will have a backlash at some point. There are a lot of legislators around the country who do not like guns and are always looking for a way to restrict them, protect all our rights and don't inflame the fools. Stupid legislation is contagious and only the good Lord knows what else might get splattered.......
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
        I do not think he used good judgement in carrying in plain view to an event such as this, especially in front of a group of people like worthless liberal democrats who have no regard for the 2nd ammendment. Everyone knows Democrats do not care about the laws at hand they merely do not recognize the 2nd ammendment, period. He should have gotten a concealed carry permit and as long as he didn't go through metal detectors and stayed in the rear there wouldn't have been an issue. Having said that I don't know what their laws are but If plain view carry is legal in that state I'd have told him "look" I recognize your right to carry but the tree huggers are getting spooked and it's causing a negative public reaction which makes my job harder, so either lock it in your car or get your concealed permit, wear it and keep your mouth shut.
        Well it's a good thing we have hard working and conservative Republicans that think of nothing but our best interests and safety. This was surely another liberal conspiracy in the making.

Comment

Nothing like drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and your cause.

LOOK, I HAVE A GUN

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG View Post
            Nothing like drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and your cause.

LOOK, I HAVE A GUN
            Not that I completely disagree with what mdrdep has to say, but there is a precedent of people struggling to assert their rights by drawing attention to themselves.
            Last edited by velobard; 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I am aware of no case holding that the "right" to openly carry a firearm cannot be abridged. I think that exercising that "right" under dubious circumstances is likely to result in legislation circumscribing it.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

My question is if such an action can be considered "disturbing the peace", and an individual be cited...?

I am pro gun, and I conceal carry. But c'mon, there is a place and time for everything.

Open Carrying at such an event will obviously draw the attention of the authorities, the very same people that should be concentrating on protecting the VIP's and Crowd from real threats.
                Last edited by celticpilot; 09-08-2008, 11:14 AM.
                -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

Two things:

1) Be wary of any sentence that begins with "Everyone knows..."

NOBODY knows what EVERYONE knows. Any sentence beginning with that phrase will, by definition, fall under the logical fallacy category of "sweeping generalization."

2) I wonder if those who want to call attention to their rights to "open carry" would do so at a rally where Pres. Bush was expected to attend. Or John McCain.

If you "open carried" to any event where the President was expected, the Secret Service would jump on you for it, and rightfully so.

Even the SCOTUS decision striking down the DC anti-handgun law did not preclude regulations determining who/how/why a person may or may not be allowed to own a gun, nor where that gun may be carried.

It was, to put it mildly, stupid to choose that location and circumstance to try to prove a point.
                  Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                  Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                  A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                    To a degree, yes. Open carry has never been scrutinized because it wasn't an issue. It was usually left alone because nobody saw a need to address it. Usually people on their way to or from shooting events or hunting would carry but nobody paid attention. Recently people are making an issue of it by advertising their "rights" to openly carry firearms and do so just going to and from.

Some have staged events just basically inviting the public to call and then turning it on the police when they show up. This type of activity will have a backlash at some point. There are a lot of legislators around the country who do not like guns and are always looking for a way to restrict them, protect all our rights and don't inflame the fools. Stupid legislation is contagious and only the good Lord knows what else might get splattered.......
                    Thanks for clarifying - that makes complete sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                      This.

In related news, Hubby was stopped on our way out of a local restaurant where we eat quite a bit and where a lot of cops eat. He's open carried many, many , many times. He has his permit and keeps it on him. There were three officers from the Sheriff's dep't there and they stopped us as we were heading out the door.

They told him that he could not open carry and asked to see his permit. One officer said that open carry was illegal in Indiana (It's not) and that he had to have it covered by a vest or shirt or something. Then he tried to say that it says on the permit that it is to be concealed (it doesn't) and that we can open carry on our property all we want, but need to keep it concealed in public.

We did not argue, just said "Thank you, Sir" and will contact the Sheriff's Office about the interaction and keep a copy of the state law on us for possible future interaction.

The law is we do not have to have a permit to carry on our property, but have to have one to carry off property. Indiana is silent on concealed carry.

http://ingov.chacha.com/search/query...xt=handgun+law

Page 17:
                      So in Indiana do you have to have a permit or OC and CC? Or just one for CC but not OC? I tried to look up the laws but the websites I went to didn't help.
                      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

The permit is to carry. A permit is not needed to own a handgun or to carry on your property or have one in your home. The permit is to be able to have it off property. There is no law regarding open or concealed.

And the link page was supposed to be 7. Not 17. Sorry.
                        http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

no worries. Was just checking it out, and couldn't find if you needed a permit for which, just says you need a permit
                          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post

If you "open carried" to any event where the President was expected, the Secret Service would jump on you for it, and rightfully so.
                            I have a feeling the Secret Service has enough experience in dealing with citizens who legally carry firearms when a VIP comes to town that they can defuse the situation without "jumping" on someone either verbaly or physicaly.

They are also likely quite well briefed as to what they may encounter in regards to persons carrying handguns in locations the VIP is going, and know how to handle it without provoking an incident or lawsuit.

While open carry at or near a campaign rally may not be the best option for someone to take, if it is legal then other people are just going to have to live with it until a law addresses it.

Comment

When I was a kid I didn't have to worry about being troubled by the police about carrying a firearm or other weapon openly or concealed. I just had to make sure I didn't do anything wrong with the weapon. I didn't have any permits, and I was underage, so the police could have locked me up for it if they'd wanted to. They could've locked me up any time they wanted to on general principles anyway. They were allowed more discretion back then.

If I'd tried to openly bear a firearm to a public address being given by Pat Nixon, I'd probably have wound up in the psych ward after I was let out of the emergency room, if I hadn't wound up on a slab at the morgue. And then I'd in all probability have been taken to jail, to court, and then back to jail, with a lot of bad stuff on my record.

It's nice to have rights, and nice people use them nicely. It's unwise to exercise rights in an inappropriate-to-the-occasion manner that causes alarm to Law Enforcement Officials. It seems to me that even if this guy was legally within his rights, he wasn't fully exercising common sense, and so should reconsider his decisions that led to his allowing himself to engage in such conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
                                I have a feeling the Secret Service has enough experience in dealing with citizens who legally carry firearms when a VIP comes to town that they can defuse the situation without "jumping" on someone either verbaly or physicaly.

They are also likely quite well briefed as to what they may encounter in regards to persons carrying handguns in locations the VIP is going, and know how to handle it without provoking an incident or lawsuit.

While open carry at or near a campaign rally may not be the best option for someone to take, if it is legal then other people are just going to have to live with it until a law addresses it.
                                If this is all true, then what in the world happened with the incident at the Denver hotel where Pelosi was staying when the guy with two rifles in a locked case walked into the lobby? They evacuated the hotel over that one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4380 users online. 304 members and 4076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X