300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Retirement at 60

I’ll be joining LE a bit late in life after retiring from the US military. Even with the five year credit for being military, I'm going to be short of 15 years of duty before I hit age 60. What’s all this about mandatory retirement at age 60?

depends on your dept, we dont have a mandatory retirement age
    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

65 in New Jersey.
      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

some agencies in NYS are different, some have 70, 72, 62, or no max at all.
        sigpic

Comment

There is a deputy sheriff in VA who is supposed to be 78 years of age. He works in a rural county near Richmond, from what I have heard, and is the oldest active-duty LEO in the commonwealth.

If you look around, you'll see more than a few LEOs who have passed the "60" mark and are still going strong.

What is that saying? Sixty is the new 45, right?

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

We get to retire? I thought most people either quit for their sanity or get fired for their stupidity.

I'm going to have to look into that. But I don't recall ever hearing of a specific age. I guess it depends on the department.
            "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Unfortunately, Maryland State Police is madatory at 60.

Comment

We have mandatory retirement at 60. We've also had at least a couple of retired military who would not be able to get their 20 in with us prior to reaching 60. Another guy was 54 when he started and had retired from a local PD. They know they won't get their 20 and they don't care. What they're doing is living on their military retirement, dumping the max into deferred comp and investing the rest. With their deferred comp and investments they'll do very well even without a 20 yr retirement.
                183 FBINA

Comment

After working the street at your age you'll want to retire sooner than 60. I put in 25 and left at age 48. The street is for the young warriors. Hopefully you can get into a plainclothes assignment and chill some towards retirement.
                  The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

What's "deferred comp" ?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperPilot View Post
                      What's "deferred comp" ?
                      Contributions you make each time you get paid. Taken out of your pay automatically. Its not taxed over the years and the stock market plays a role. You have the potential to make money, if the market is good. You can also lose a little money as well. But, IMHO, the benefits far outweigh the bad. I know people who have contributed to deferred comp for 20 yrs and have made a small fortune.

Comment

California Highway Patrol has a maximum age 60 retirement. Of course, you cannot be greater than 35 to enter service and you can buy back up to four years active duty military time.
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

When I hired with LASD the manadory retirement age was 55.
                          Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe159 View Post
                            I know people who have contributed to deferred comp for 20 yrs and have made a small fortune.
                            One of our guys who never married and maxed his deferred comp contributions his entire career. In addition to not paying taxes on that money each year he ended up with a bit over $3 mil in investments. His regular state retirement is over $100K per year, 3% annual cost of living increase, free health insurance for life, and he has the $3 mil setting in the markets. At about 53 yrs old he's very comfortable in his retirement.
                            183 FBINA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3997 users online. 206 members and 3791 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X