300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too small for K9?

I know I am not the biggest recruit out there (5'9 158) Though I have been at the Law Enforcement Academy for almost two months now. One of the instructors said I am too small to be K9. It's something I have always wanted to do. I know that it won't stop me from doing what I really want to do. Though is this true? I am healthy I run four miles a day, and can outperform lots of people physically. I know Shepherds can weight way over 100 lbs. Though do you think the instructor should of said that? Or is this true? Thanks so much for the input!

Not true. I know of several K9 handlers that are around your weight and height. 100lb shepherds are a rarity and many handlers are working dogs in the 60 lb range. A good K9 trainer will select and place a dog to compliment its handler. Good luck!
    Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
    Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Our two newest K9s received two new dogs. One handler is a corn-fed boy with arms as round as my legs...he got the Belgian Malinois that weighs maybe 55 pounds...the one your size got the biggest german shepherd our department has, weighing in at around 100 pounds and only 18 months old. They have to be able to carry their dogs...he struggled, but he got it done and is a damn fine K9 Officer.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Thank you very much miami k9 and smurfette! I appreciate it. Makes me happy

Comment

Originally posted by Scharf View Post
          I know I am not the biggest recruit out there (5'9 158) Though I have been at the Law Enforcement Academy for almost two months now. One of the instructors said I am too small to be K9. It's something I have always wanted to do. I know that it won't stop me from doing what I really want to do. Though is this true? I am healthy I run four miles a day, and can outperform lots of people physically. I know Shepherds can weight way over 100 lbs. Though do you think the instructor should of said that? Or is this true? Thanks so much for the input!

actually, you'd be one of the biggest dogs i've seen in a long time

as for being a K9 HANDLER, nah, you're fine. my Sgt. isn't much bigger than you. neither am i, and i used to breed, raise, and sell American Pit Bull Terriers. my personal dog was trained to do all sorts of cool tactical stuff and there was never any dominance issues wth any of my dogs regardless of their strength.

Comment

That instructor sounds like a lop. He sure doesn't know anything about working a K-9, because there are plenty of small K-9 handlers who do just fine.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by injunwil View Post
              actually, you'd be one of the biggest dogs i've seen in a long time
              ROFL
              "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

I am not a handler, but the department I used to work for had a handler that was about your size, maybe smaller. He is one of the instructors in the unit and also finished number 1 a few years ago in the national field trials. They also have a female handler that is less than 115 pounds on a good day. A lot of officers doubted her abilities, but she finished the basic handler course. The course is probably one of the hardest courses in the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Scharf View Post
                  I know supervisors shorter than you (4'10.) As far as I knew, k-9 didnt have a height requirement...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3121 users online. 164 members and 2957 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X