300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazynova View Post
    I understand making cops pay for fuel on personal use of take-homes. Making them pay for fuel while on regular patrol duty though is ridiculous.
    Same here I completely agree there.

Comment

I have a suggestion for that Beancounter who is trying to balance his books regarding excess fuel useage. Have you considered implementing a User Pays policy for the first response units and recover those running costs (fuel, tyres, depreciation, insurance, registration, etc) from those lucky enough to win a ride in the back seat?

The Beancounters might be able to submit a claim for restitution for costs when the grub goes to court for the offence he has committed (or alleged to have committed). On second thoughts, they've probably worked it out that it's a lot easier to screw the Police than recover costs from the grub.
      If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushranger View Post
        I have a suggestion for that Beancounter who is trying to balance his books regarding excess fuel useage. Have you considered implementing a User Pays policy for the first response units and recover those running costs (fuel, tyres, depreciation, insurance, registration, etc) from those lucky enough to win a ride in the back seat?

The Beancounters might be able to submit a claim for restitution for costs when the grub goes to court for the offence he has committed (or alleged to have committed). On second thoughts, they've probably worked it out that it's a lot easier to screw the Police than recover costs from the grub.
        See we have the ACLU, who would go crazy if they tried that, even though I completely agree.

Comment

The top brass is going to tell the public that it will not limit routine patrols of neighboods and businessess but it will. It will make the police like the fire department. THey will sit around somewhere until they have a call to go to to save up their mileage or gas limits. When that officer sees that monthly limit approaching he/she is going to park that car in a corner somewhere and chill out until he/she has a call. They are because the command staff is going to have a no excuse mentality and that officer knows he is going to have to justify why they went over and they are most likely going to get written up.

I know this is how it is really going to happen because my last department put a 20 mile limit per shift on our cars. It was a college campus, but it was still a tight limit because it was a large campus and some of it was spread out all over the city. I parked my car and twiddled my thumbs for hours at a time and so did other patrol officers. It sucked but it was better then worrying about getting written up or losing your vehicle or whatever else they will try and do to enforce the policy.
          DeputySC
          Forum Member
          Last edited by DeputySC; 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushranger View Post

My agency files an investigative cost recovery with an arrest. Theoretically the arrestee is charged for the costs of investigation, resources, etc. They're billed by the hour at roughly $40 an hour. I have no idea how well it works or how many pay the bill, that's above my paygrade...

Comment

Whoa, I'd use up my monthly gallons in about 5 days work
              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

In our county, the average beat each deputy patrols is about 200 square miles...I averaged a tank a shift in my CV. We used to be able to use the take homes for off duty use, because it added extra presence in the county. Now we can only stop at the store on the way to or from work, and we can go to the gym on our day off...other than that, no more personal use. Someone on from the county (not the department) wanted us to stop using A/C...I'll stop using A/C in my car, when county admin wears body armor and a tool belt in their office all day with no A/C in the building. The kicker is, when I was hired, the take homes were part of our compensation and salary package, because we could use them off-duty. I haven't seen a pay-raise yet in lieu of the restrictions on personal use now. I think I'd have to find another line of work if I had to start paying for my own gas.

Comment

I'm all for government cost savings, but this is a touch much.

If you want to save money, police should only going on calls for which they get a retainer to deal with.

Nothing excessive. Nothing obscene. Nothing that would make it so that nobody could afford your services...

But something that says "If you want me to come out here to deal with your drunken, abusive baby-daddy who you won't stay away from after the 4th time he has beaten you...lets make sure you understand that the city government does not send me out at no cost at all and you are going to have to offset some of the cost for me to take him to jail tonight...and yes, I have a machine in the car that will take your EBT card for the police user fee..."

Just a thought...

Comment

Mitchell that sounds like a great idea to me.

Comment

I don’t know about limiting fuel use for patrol...

However this article reminded me of something I had observed over the summer. I was eating a leisurely lunch on the patio of a local restaurant when two county and two city patrol cars pull into the same restaurant for lunch. All four of them left their cars idling in the parking lot. I left 45 minutes after they arrived. Their cars were still purring away when I left.

I can only guess they left there A/C on as well since it was easily 90 degrees outside.

How much time does not having to start your car save?
                      ****I am NOT a LEO, I am NOT a Lawyer, and I am NOT a Defendant****

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Comment

no way we could do this in my dept/county we have 6 on duty to run the whole county, no beats. i log anywere from 200 to 300 miles a night depending on calls
                        In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by DefenseResearch View Post

However this article reminded me of something I had observed over the summer. I was eating a leisurely lunch on the patio of a local restaurant when two county and two city patrol cars pull into the same restaurant for lunch. All four of them left their cars idling in the parking lot. I left 45 minutes after they arrived. Their cars were still purring away when I left.

I can only guess they left there A/C on as well since it was easily 90 degrees outside.

Just a question and a thought:

Were those officers possibly K9 units? If so, they would have to leave the A/C on for the sake of the dog(s) in the cruiser.

If they were not K9 and did not have another valid reason for leaving the engines running, it would indeed appear to be a waste of taxpayer money.

If you would have asked one of them, maybe they'd tell you that they did not want their laptop computers getting too hot.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
                            Just a question and a thought: Were those officers possibly K9 units? If so, they would have to leave the A/C on for the sake of the dog(s) in the cruiser.

I am fairly certain they were not K-9 units. The K-9 units around here seem to get the sleek looking Tahoe or Suburban. And of course I would completely understand the necessity to do so in that circumstance.

If they were not K9 and did not have another valid reason for leaving the engines running, it would indeed appear to be a waste of taxpayer money.
                            I am only commenting on this since you put the eye rolling after your statement...

I may not understand the necessity of keeping your car running when you are grabbing a bite to eat... However, if the reason is to keep the car a comfortable temperature... That is a bit extreme.

If you would have asked one of them, maybe they'd tell you that they did not want their laptop computers getting too hot.
                            lol. Maybe so.
                            ****I am NOT a LEO, I am NOT a Lawyer, and I am NOT a Defendant****

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Comment

My agency doesn't have this restriction thank God. I'll average 80-120 miles a night in my small city. My friend's jurisdiction is at least twice the size and they are limited to 60 miles per night right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DefenseResearch View Post

Depending on the number of different items that are 'on' in the radio car, they may have to leave the engine running to keep the battery from getting sucked dry.......
                                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5463 users online. 312 members and 5151 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X