• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Cops Pay For Patrol Car Fuel??

Click on the link below for the story:

http://www.officer.com/online/articl...ion=1&id=42966

-- Georgia Department Caps Fuel Use --

Chattanooga Times Free Press (Tennessee)

By Kevin Cummings

Dalton Bureau

DALTON, Ga. -- Thanks to the bruising fuel-cost pinch, city police officers soon will have to monitor their driving habits more closely.

Police Chief Jason Parker said a new department fuel policy will go into effect Oct. 1 that requires employees to pay for gas used in department vehicles if they exceed monthly use limits.

Police department spokesman Bruce Frazier said the policy will not cut into neighborhood patrols or inhibit officers from backing each other up.

"They're not going to do something that would put another officer, or anyone in the public, in jeopardy," he said.

Chief Parker said city officers' beats are small enough that they'll be able to help one another whenever needed.

The chief said he has tried to meet with every employee in the department to explain the policy, and he said officers are concerned about the potential impact on their personal finances and being able to do their job.

But Chief Parker said the plan was studied thoroughly and that it will be up to officers and supervisors to adjust to the limits.

To come up with the plan, fuel consumption of each division of the department was studied in relation to how much gasoline the department should use per month. Mr. Frazier said the calculations took into account possible overtime and concentrated patrols. Exceptions will be handled case by case, such as if an officer had to transport an inmate from Atlanta.

It is a "good, fair policy," according to City Councilman George Sadosuk, who also serves on the city's Public Safety Commission.

"I think it's great that the police department has been proactive on this and taken the lead on it," he said.

Mr. Frazier said department personnel will receive training on the policy and on ways to conserve fuel, such as not letting vehicles sit and idle and when to perform foot patrols.

If the policy had been in effect in July, department employees would have had to buy a combined 600 gallons of fuel from their own pockets, Mr. Frazier said. At that rate, the policy should save the department about 7,000 gallons of fuel a year. The average officer in the department's Assigned Vehicle Program has a commute distance of 10.21 miles.

MONTHLY FUEL LIMITS

* Administrative staff -- 45 gallons

* Patrol officers -- 120 gallons

* Patrol sergeants -- 65 gallons

* Criminal Investigators -- 75 gallons

* Drug Unit -- 95 gallons

Source: Dalton Police Department
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

120 gallons a month? That's insane. When I was a deputy sheriff, it was possible to use that much gasoline in a little over a week. A Crown Vic is not exactly a Prius, you know.

Georgia, like most southern states, can get quite hot in the summer months. Unless you are out of the car on foot patrol (possibly a hidden motive for the fuel use guidlines), the engine will be running with the A/C turned on.

I wonder if this is going to hurt police patrols or response to calls.

"Sorry, sarge; I can't arrest this guy because the jail is too far away and I will use up my monthly fuel quota to take him there."
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Yea right! If MPDC ever makes officers pay for fuel, I'll opt for a foot beat!

Comment

Why not cut other expenses such as little projects going on by senators they don't need, or do they have them up there?

Comment

Thats not a whole lot to work with. I can see this going bad places.
        "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Guess we would just have to operate like the hosedraggers.....sit in the station till we get called......

I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna pay for gas AT WORK...........
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
            HHAHHHAHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa

My thoughts exactly....

Also wouldn't be legal in VA, even with a signed agreemet from the employee.

Of the many dumb ideas I've heard, this has got to be in the top 5.
            "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

As LA DEP said..... you would have a lot of cars parked somewhere waiting for a radio call.....ZERO proactivity. I dont see how they could legally make you pay for fuel doing an assignment they make you do...... do you get reprimanded if you dont respond to a call because you dont have anymore gas...... stupid, stupid policy. Im sure there are quite a few other areas that could be found for cost savings.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                Guess we would just have to operate like the hosedraggers.....sit in the station till we get called......

A couple of years ago when fuel was going up.....the part-time place I worked at (1500 residents) did that.....

We were either at the station or Sheriff's Office hanging out till we got a call....

We could cruise the streets a couple of times a night and were able to hang out at the 7-11..... but that was it. We had a 20 mile per shift limit.....

Guess what went up...? That's right....crime.....Crooks knew we weren't cruising as much so once they saw us go through town, they knew it was time to go to work......

It lasted about a month and the City Council opted to get off the Chief's *** and let us go back to regular patrols....

Comment

I don't think the officers paying for gas thing would fly here. The union would have a fit and would have none of it.

Comment

Their union has to be suing, right? I hope? How is that constitutional?

Comment

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
                      Their union has to be suing, right? I hope? How is that constitutional?
                      Georgia is a right to work state and has no Police Unions if I recall.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        Georgia is a right to work state and has no Police Unions if I recall.......
                        Right to work or not, its a violation of civil/labor laws to make an employee pay for items used in the course of their employment.
                        I'd walk the fark out and file a class action lawsuit the first time they tried it with me.
                        Last edited by ComicGuy; 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Don't make me gassy.
                        You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

"Sorry, sarge; I can't arrest this guy because the jail is too far away and I will use up my monthly fuel quota to take him there."
                          How about: "I'll be off the rest of the week, Sarge. I used up my gas quota for this month."

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post

"Hosedraggers" LMFAO!!!!!

I'd guess that any department attempting to make officers pay for gas used in the performance of their duties might not get the patrol time they were expecting and may have some FLSA issues coming up in court!!!
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

On a five day work-week that would limit the officers to about six gallons a day; and, if they were fortunate to get 15 MPG they could be limited to driving no more than 90 miles of beat coverage. Heck, I used to put on 200+ miles per day. Their POA needs to go to court over this one and file a case for protection of the officers and their families.
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3639 users online. 214 members and 3425 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X