300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by feedmelies View Post
    I think it's pretty sad. Like LA DEP said, it looked more like a suicide by cop than a legitimate desire to shoot police. That's a pretty unfortunate situation.
    It's sad that for the officer who took the mans life... Screw the idiot that points a gun at police...

While it is very much part of the job, I always hate to read about police officers who are forced to take lives.

Comment

Yeah, bad OS on the guy at the trunk, although he was probably so hyped up on adrenaline he didn't know he wasn't covered.

Obvious suicide by cop situation. Sorry and best wishes to the officer that had to react.
      Last edited by Looker; 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bamacop View Post
        but car windows don't stop bullets.
        Exactly, but for the record, they do redirect most small arms rounds ... that is why it takes so many 5.56 rounds to stop a car at an Iraqi checkpoint. The heavier stuff is less disturbed by glass, but even a .45acp will move some when shooting through side glass. Just for the record.
        There is nothing to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
          I don't have a problem with the use of force but the tactics don't make a whole lot of sense. AGREE

Plus there's a HUGE gap in the video between when patrol backed out and swat moved in. So I don't know why they decided to move in when they did if the guy was still just standing there like a moron. AGREE

Common sense tells me that if you move towards a person with a gun he's probably going to point it at you, which means you're going to have to shoot him. Fine. No problem with that. AGREE

But whats the rush? Was he holding a detonator to something? Maybe, I doubt it. Useless video without knowing what the real story is. AGREE

From just watching that I think a bean-bag or tazer might have saved some paperwork. ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?

But again, wasn't there, and didn't even get to see 1/100th of the video since it was edited. Just glad the only person that got shot was the bad guy.

Even with part of the video missing, I saw enough to warrant deadly force. Does not matter if it was .00001 seconds or 2 hours missing. I saw a man with a gun point it at officers...and he suffered the results of HIS actions. I will assume that they were giving verbal commands (there is no audio of the suspect or officers).

Comment

I have seen the video before. The guy shot was a retired or recently released from work COP. He was not killed in the shooting. He knew many of the cops at the scene. When I saw the entire video I thought the swat team moved in a little quick but that is not my call to make. The cops at the rear of the car were not as worried as they had worked with the guy in the past. There is the entire story either covered here on O.com or Intheline of duty.
            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePublic View Post
              Booooo! That ending was TOTALLY predictable!

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                Even with part of the video missing, I saw enough to warrant deadly force. Does not matter if it was .00001 seconds or 2 hours missing. I saw a man with a gun point it at officers...and he suffered the results of HIS actions. I will assume that they were giving verbal commands (there is no audio of the suspect or officers).

Well sure it was enough to warant deadly force.

But I'm a closet environmentalist, 17 trees could have been saved if they hadn't moved in and insted hit him with something else.

I'm not saying they were wrong. I just try to avoid un-needed repetitive paperwork. It causes serious forearm pain and is not covered by workers compensation.
                "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by enterthedragon
                  They were worried enough to have their guns pointed at him
                  Of course because he was armed. Think of it as if a good friend of yours was going through tough times and had a gun or if some gangster had the gun.

Of course you will take safety precautions but that situation was handled a little differnetly due to the circumstances surrounding the entire incident.

I have read other peoples post and people here are jumping to conclusions without knowing what happened. I gave more insight as to what was going on because I remember when this happened. Lets not monday morning quarterback what happened out there.

If it was one of my fellow Officers I sure wouldn't act how alot of people here are saying. I am guessing on this forum there are alot of NON-LEO's.
                  Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
                    If it was one of my fellow Officers I sure wouldn't act how alot of people here are saying. I am guessing on this forum there are alot of NON-LEO's.
                    Being an ex-cop or a present cop doesn't put you above the law.
                    If this guy was an ex-cop (according to your testimony), he should know better than to act like a common 'suicide-by-cop' type call.

I'm more concerned now that this guy even passed a psych-evaluation.

I don't think being LE or non-LE has anything to do with what we ALL saw on the video. Yeah, so it sucks this guy used to be a cop or whatever, but him pointing a firearm in the direction of anyone else warrants EXACTLY what happened in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePublic View Post
                      Being an ex-cop or a present cop doesn't put you above the law.
                      If this guy was an ex-cop (according to your testimony), he should know better than to act like a common 'suicide-by-cop' type call.

I'm more concerned now that this guy even passed a psych-evaluation.

I don't think being LE or non-LE has anything to do with what we ALL saw on the video. Yeah, so it sucks this guy used to be a cop or whatever, but him pointing a firearm in the direction of anyone else warrants EXACTLY what happened in the video.

OK? At what point did I say he was above the law???? I think he was going to be charged with a firearms violation if he had not been shot. He also would have been institutionalized (5150 WIC in California). At no time was letting the guy go discussed regarding him being above the law. Maybe it is your misunderstanding of the law is the problem or you ment to word your response differnetly.

You are more concerned about how a guy passed his psych test? Well I guess you feel that nothing dramatic could happen in someones life that may cause them to temporarly go through depression. You know little things for example of the lose of their family or something? Maybe the person was fine when he took the pysch test and 10 years later had problems in life???? Oh that is right we are suppose to be able to predict the future..My bad.

Now to cover why I made the cop comment. If you read the post you will see that I showing how the Officers knew the guy (It was through work), but I also explained it as if the guy was a personal friend of yours. This way maybe you could relate/understand. GUESS NOT!!!! The reason I said most of the people here must not be LEOs is that the general public watches the news (Or a short vidoe clip on the internet), and say WE ALL SAW WHAT HAPPENED. No you saw a small portion of what happened and jumped to conclusions. Most Officers do not jump to conclusions and judge what happened based on a short video. Since you are such a video buff look at the video and you will see he pointed the gun downwards towards the shield. No Officers shot except one from the back that the gun was not pointed at. I would have perferred to try less then leathal. Trust me on the streets you point a gun at me and I will shoot you. Given a long stand off where I can get SWAT there I will try less then lethal if I can.

Well I am going on vacation for a week so have fun responding I will check the site in about a week and a half.
                      Last edited by Jiu-Jitsu Cop; 08-29-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I have read other peoples post and people here are jumping to conclusions without knowing what happened.
                        Here? Say it aint so.

Lets not monday morning quarterback what happened out there.
                        Why not?

It would make for a pretty boring form if there was no quarterbacking going on.

Especially when the original post was just a link to a video. In that situation I don't normally even follow the link if the OP doesn't write something, like a question, but in this case I figured I'd get to see somebody get shot by the police. And since this is a discussion forum, I thought to myself "hey, why not post what I thought about it".
                        "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

OK? At what point did I say he was above the law???? I think he was going to be charged with a firearms violation if he had not been shot. He also would have been institutionalized (5150 WIC in California). At no time was letting the guy go discussed regarding him being above the law. Maybe it is your misunderstanding of the law is the problem or you ment to word your response differnetly.

You are more concerned about how a guy passed his psych test? Well I guess you feel that nothing dramatic could happen in someones life that may cause them to temporarly go through depression. You know little things for example of the lose of their family or something? Maybe the person was fine when he took the pysch test and 10 years later had problems in life???? Oh that is right we are suppose to be able to predict the future..My bad.

Now to cover why I made the cop comment. If you read the post you will see that I showing how the Officers knew the guy (It was through work), but I also explained it as if the guy was a personal friend of yours. This way maybe you could relate/understand. GUESS NOT!!!! The reason I said most of the people here must not be LEOs is that the general public watches the news (Or a short vidoe clip on the internet), and say WE ALL SAW WHAT HAPPENED. No you saw a small portion of what happened and jumped to conclusions. Most Officers do not jump to conclusions and judge what happened based on a short video. Since you are such a video buff look at the video and you will see he pointed the gun downwards towards the shield. No Officers shot except one from the back that the gun was not pointed at. I would have perferred to try less then leathal. Trust me on the streets you point a gun at me and I will shoot you. Given a long stand off where I can get SWAT there I will try less then lethal if I can.

Well I am going on vacation for a week so have fun responding I will check the site in about a week and a half.
                          Enjoy your vacation, seriously ...

Nothing in life is ever so tragic as to warrant pointing a gun at law enforcement in an attempt to commit suicide. WTF??!! Maybe I'm just less emotional (weak minded). Life is a b**** and then you die, there's no surprise in that. People do horrible things to each other, and people crap on you, sometimes nature does too ... or sometimes it's all smiles and potato salad. I can't judge what exactly makes this guy lose it, but whatever it was, it's not a trait MOST people possess. Most people, LE or not, do not go out and do what this guy did. It's tragic yes, especially since he WAS a cop, but still.

Pointing at their shield, in their general direction, whatever, it makes no difference. And ascertaining who shot homeboy from this grainy video is a little far-fetched for me to believe. It seems the guy on the left, but who can say for sure?

Yes, if my friend was outside pointing a gun I would treat it with the same lethality that these guys did ... and unfortunately I WOULD shoot my friend if he started endangering my life, as these guys did. If you would forfeit your own life to "help" your psychotic friend that is all you. I'm just saying don't bring your knife to a gun fight.

I have no clue what happened up to the point of him getting shot, but I do know that he pointed a firearm at the police and paid the consequence ... I don't have to be in LE to side with SWAT on this.
                          Last edited by JoePublic; 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5681 users online. 356 members and 5325 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X