• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choking game suspected in boy's death

Published Saturday August 23, 2008
    Choking game suspected in boy's death
    BY MARK YOUNG
    THE NORTH PLATTE TELEGRAPH

OGALLALA, Neb. — It was just his second day at a new school, in a new community, but, for 9-year-old Tyler Evan Anderson, it would be his last.

The Anderson family was only a week into their new home in Ogallala, still enduring the chore of unpacking boxes when Anderson's mother found the young boy unresponsive in the family's basement Wednesday night.

Emergency personnel were unable to revive Tyler. He was taken to Ogallala Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead just hours after he had met a new friend at his new school, in his new community.

Authorities suspected that the cause of death was strangulation. Thursday's autopsy results confirmed it.

"We received the preliminary autopsy, and the results show strangulation, but it was most likely an accident," said Keith County Attorney Blake Edwards. "We believe his death is probably related to the blackout game or choke-out game that a lot of kids seem to be playing. There is no indication of anything else. It's just a bad deal for this family."

Edwards said the death of Anderson should raise an alarm to all parents.

"My biggest concern is to get a warning out to all parents to make sure their kids aren't playing this dangerous game," he said. "There is no good outcome."
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

This is a sad story. Does anyone know the game that they are talking about? The only thing I can think of is the old game several of us use to play years ago where you hold your breath for so long and bend over until you passed out.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
      This is a sad story. Does anyone know the game that they are talking about? The only thing I can think of is the old game several of us use to play years ago where you hold your breath for so long and bend over until you passed out.
      Basically, now it's usually done with your own hands around the neck though. I don't know why, maybe it brings it quicker or something. I feel light-headed just thinking about it.

Prayers with the family.

Comment

Its not quite the old game where you hold your breath until you pass out. As far as I understand it, the person playing the "game" chokes themselves or has a friend choke them until passing out. The lightheadedness from oxegyn deprivation is almost like a high I suppose, although I hope the 9 year old in this case was not trying to get "high." I have also heard of instances where rope has been used to cut off air, and accidental hangings. Anyone else know more?
        son, if you keep this up, soon you'll inherit the family mullet!

Comment

I remember a school trip to Washington DC about 6 years ago, there were a few kids doing this to eachother.
          "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
          Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
          Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
            Does anyone know the game that they are talking about?

The way it was done back in my day is you hyper-ventalite and then your buddy pushes on your chest for a few seconds. Then you pass out.

Really, really bad idea.
            "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
              They also do this when they masterbate.
              How do they hold the mouse?

"Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
                The way it was done back in my day is you hyper-ventalite and then your buddy pushes on your chest for a few seconds. Then you pass out.

Really, really bad idea.

Yeah, that's how it was when i was younger too.. there was no choking, to speak of... but making yourself hyperventilate and then having a friend push all the air out of you probably isn't the best idea either.

on a side note, it's interesting to see that other people in other areas knew about this too. Where the heck do kids learn this stuff to begin with!?

Comment

Originally posted by Presence View Post

on a side note, it's interesting to see that other people in other areas knew about this too. Where the heck do kids learn this stuff to begin with!?
                  The internet.

Stupidity travels fast.
                  "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                  Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                  Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

I understand it has to do with hyperventilation followed by immediate choking. One kid at my high school did this once... passed out, fell onto his teeth, and knocked them out. Funny thing was, the kids watching and helping him let him fall SMACK on his face. His parents sued the school for the bill and got him some nice gold teeth.

If I were his parents, I'da bought him some white chickletts and got myself something nice.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Comment

Teens are getting dumber and dumber in every decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                        The internet.

Stupidity travels fast.
                        I learned about this "game" just a week ago, after seeing it featured on Dateline or a similar program. The documentary featured the grandfather of a young boy who'd accidentally killed himself while at home and alone. It was a very sad story and (due to the timing) would be even sadder if this kid got the idea to try this after watching the same program.
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                          The internet.

Stupidity travels fast.

We didn't have the internet when I was 9...

Comment

I watched a few (Not so Bright) individuals play this game when I was in high school. One kid received a few stitches after smacking his head on the edge of a desk and the other knocked out a tooth.

Luckily, the only time this happened to me is when I first started Jiu-Jitsu and received my first rear naked choke, I suddenly forgot to tap out....

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I've heard about this game, and talked to my son about it, along with drugs, alcohol, and huffing.

9 is way too young.

Back in my day it was aspirin in coke.
                              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9464 users online. 478 members and 8986 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X