300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local in custody death...St. Louis County

Just a few blocks form my sector, I am guessing I will be hearing about this from my local idiots for the next few months. I already ran into someone at denny's who asked if I had heard about the guy St. Louis County PD beat to death

I hope all turns out above board and legit, the folks in this neighborhood are some real treats so anything they say is a complete lie from word go.

BERKELEY — Neighbors and family members of a man who died after a scuffle Thursday night with drug investigators are questioning the police's version of the arrest. One neighbor contended officers used excessive force.

Craig A. Foster, 31, died after an altercation with St. Louis County detectives near his Berkeley home. Two police officers were treated at a hospital for injuries suffered in the fight, police said. One suffered bites and abrasions, the other a broken rib.

St. Louis County police spokesman Rick Eckhard said Foster pulled a gun on officers when he got out of his SUV in the 8600 block of Graham Lane, and detectives, fearing for their safety, needed to tackle and disarm him. Police said they recovered a gun at the scene.

But Phyllis Roberts, who said she watched the situation unfold about 7 p.m. from her front yard two houses away, said that's not what she saw. Roberts said police officers pulled Foster from his car after it had skidded from a driveway onto another front yard, leaving Foster no time to pull out a weapon.

Officers then grabbed Foster by the shoulders and threw him to the ground, cuffed his hands behind his back and began hitting and kicking him, Roberts said.

"It was handled totally wrong," Roberts said. "Once they had him on the ground and the cuffs on him, there was no reason to beat that man they way they did. No reason whatsoever."

Eckhard said that the department and the St. Louis County prosecutor's office would investigate the arrest. Citing the investigations, Eckhard declined to comment on specific allegations. He urged individuals with concerns about misconduct to contact the department, the prosecutor's office or the FBI.

Several witnesses said Foster stopped moving a short time after he was cuffed. Officers turned Foster over and began performing CPR, police and Roberts said. An ambulance arrived a few minutes later but Foster was pronounced dead at a hospital about 9 p.m., police and hospital officials said.

An autopsy completed Friday showed Foster's body had no outward signs of trauma, but a cause of death has not been determined, said St. Louis County medical examiner Dr. Mary Case.

Foster suffered several minor cuts and scrapes, Case said, but did not have a major head injury or any bullet wounds.

Case said Foster had "rather significant coronary artery disease" and he was known to have asthma. It is possible those conditions may have contributed to his death, she said.

The medical examiner's office over the next several weeks will look at Foster's organs using a microscope and complete toxicology tests to determine a cause of death.

Foster's girlfriend, Chastidy Rice, said Foster had a heart condition, high blood pressure and asthma and had been hospitalized about five months ago because of heart and digestion issues. Foster had been taking medications for the conditions, Rice said.

Family members say police overreacted.

"This was excessive brutality, it needs to be investigated," said Foster's aunt, Ghertana Foster.

Foster, a Riverview Gardens High School graduate, worked for a travel agency, owned his own small business that did construction and lawn work, and loved pool and bowling, family members said. He helped look after Rice's two children, and the pair were planning to get married on Christmas Day. Neighbors said Foster lived in the house for several months and that the house was always quiet and he was always friendly.

Foster was a wanted suspect in a drug case not yet presented to the St. Louis County prosecutor's office, police said. He had two pending drug charges for possession of marijuana in St. Louis, according to court records.

But Phyllis Roberts, who said she watched the situation unfold about 7 p.m. from her front yard two houses away, said that's not what she saw. Roberts said police officers pulled Foster from his car after it had skidded from a driveway onto another front yard, leaving Foster no time to pull out a weapon.
    At 1900hrs from two houses away she was able to make a decision and conclude that an individual that had just went from a driveway to a yard in a vehicle could not have time to pull out a weapon……….please!

Officers then grabbed Foster by the shoulders and threw him to the ground, cuffed his hands behind his back and began hitting and kicking him, Roberts said.
    Even if he was in handcuffs he can still hurt you, therefore he can still be a threat. It could have happened the way she described and if could of happened differently. Who knows, he said she said argument there.

"It was handled totally wrong," Roberts said. "Once they had him on the ground and the cuffs on him, there was no reason to beat that man they way they did. No reason whatsoever."
    And this witness is certified to tell law enforcement how to do there job by whom? How much experience does she have in law enforcement?

Family members say police overreacted.
    How much experience does the family have in law enforcement?

Things could of happened just as the witness states, but there are some underlining factors here that would suggest otherwise. That is just my civilian two cents.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

So if he was on the ground and cuffed, how did the two officers get injured?
      Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
        I was wondering the same exact thing......

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
          Exactly...

If he had a heart issue I can see how a fight could trigger it, but he made that choice to fight in the beginning. What are the cops supposed to do, pull up the suspect's medical records and review them before making contact?
          "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
          Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
          Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6738 users online. 346 members and 6392 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X