300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marcos officer receives threats after dog's death

SAN MARCOS — A police officer who delayed a couple racing their dying dog to an emergency vet clinic while he wrote them a ticket has received death threats, the mayor said Thursday.

A statement issued by San Marcos Mayor Susan Narvaiz said Officer Paul Stephens was inappropriate and insensitive and that he has been disciplined, but the threats against the officer are "extremely unfortunate."

Narvaiz' statement did not elaborate on the threats. She did release some new details of the incident, including that a second officer had tried to help the choking dog, a teacup poodle named Missy.

"Without question, the situation was not handled very well by Officer Stephens. But the characterization of the story has led to death threats against the officer and his family," Narvaiz said.

Michael Gonzalez and Krystal Hernandez were allegedly driving 95 mph when Stephens pulled them over after midnight Aug. 5 on Interstate 35.

According to Narvaiz, Gonzalez first pulled over on an overpass. Using his patrol car public address system, Stephens asked him to go somewhere safer and Gonzalez drove another two miles at a "high rate of speed," despite the officer's lights and siren.

When he finally pulled over, Gonzalez pleaded with Stephens to let them get to the clinic.

The patrol car's dashboard camera showed Stephens telling Gonzalez: "It's just a dog. You can buy another one. Relax."

Officer Joyce Bender arrived and approached Hernandez on the passenger side of the car. When told Missy was choking, she took the dog and tried to clear its airway to allow it to breath, but failed, Narvaiz said.

At that point, the officers believed the dog was already dead and Stephens issued the ticket. The incident lasted 17 minutes, Narvaiz said.

Gonzalez and Hernandez filed a complaint the next day and San Marcos Police Chief Howard Williams issued Stephens a reprimand. Williams also wrote a letter of apology to Gonzalez.

Narvaiz said Stephens is an Iraq war vet who joined the department in March 2007 and has no history of previous complaints. She said the discipline for Stephens was appropriate.

Gonzalez said Tuesday he thought an oral reprimand was not sufficient.

"That's not really a punishment at all," he said. "I don't feel a person like that should be working in law enforcement."

pic of the dog here
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

I just wish that they had the balls to stand up and defend this officer. Personally, if a guy jumped out of a car screaming like a lunatic after a high speed chase, I would have had him at gunpoint. That officer showed a lot of patience.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Trust me, the San Marcos Police Officers, the REAL SMPD Officers, not the politically appointed limp-wristed sissy "Chief", stand behind this guy 100%. The Chief is a whole bunch of things that I can't call him without being banned.

Comment

95 mph?

That is grossly reckless.

It wouldn't be an issue if the only people being endangered by that were the occupants of this car. But other people are on the road -- even at midnight.

Imagine what the public would be saying if this guy had hit and killed someone else on the way to the vet. They would be all over him for putting the dog's life ahead of other humans.

The comment was unfortunate. Better something like "I understand you are attached to your dog, but you can't endanger others in order to save him." Well, you pick the words that suit you. Usually it's best to just acknowledge people's feelings as valid, then just carry on.

But that's me. Not telling anyone how to do their job. Just sayin. I am speaking from other kinds of experience involving confrontations with people who are highly emotional.
        Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
        Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
        A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

OH MY GOD!

I am done with reading anything relating to this. This has to be one of the most bizarre and despicable outcries to any event.

From the professional conduct of Officer Stephens, I would've thought he was in LE for at least 10+ years.

Hopefully these idiots who make the death threats get what's coming for them by the time anyone reads my post.

Comment

I'm just curious how the people who are making the death threats against a human being can justify it in their own minds. The officer makes an unsympathetic comment to a panic stricken, reckless driver about a dog, albeit a close family pet, and that's supposed to be a horrible act.

But it's ok to threaten to kill a human being who will sacrifice himself for your mother, father, sister, brother, etc, even though he doesn't know you. Some people are really twisted in their thinking. What's this world coming to?

Comment

I can understand how the guy wants to get his dog some help, I am putting my dog to sleep tommorow because he has cancer and is in pain. But I wouldnt for one second put the public at risk just to get him "emergency" help. When everything is said and done it is still just a dog, I love my dog, but it is still just a dog and he is not worth risking the lives of anyone.

-Steven

Comment

Originally posted by steve h View Post
                I can understand how the guy wants to get his dog some help, I am putting my dog to sleep tommorow because he has cancer and is in pain. But I wouldnt for one second put the public at risk just to get him "emergency" help. When everything is said and done it is still just a dog, I love my dog, but it is still just a dog and he is not worth risking the lives of anyone.

-Steven
                Yes, and I'm willing to bet Officer Stephens has the exact same mindset as you.

And let's not forget this officer within two years time probably came from seeing some horrible things. He saw war, crying people, fellow soldiers who may have died in his hands that were like brothers to him, so this little dog is just that, just a dog.

And I'm not mentioning the fact that he has already sacrificed a lot and risked his life for this nation, now his community. But I guess some people are just not deserving of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by futuredeputy420
                  . But the thought that these people were ready to risk they're life to try and save an animal was beyond me...
                  I have no problem with people risking their own lives to save a dag. I have a big problem when they risk other people lives to save a dog.........................
                  The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                    I'm just curious how the people who are making the death threats against a human being can justify it in their own minds. The officer makes an unsympathetic comment to a panic stricken, reckless driver about a dog, albeit a close family pet, and that's supposed to be a horrible act.

But it's ok to threaten to kill a human being who will sacrifice himself for your mother, father, sister, brother, etc, even though he doesn't know you. Some people are really twisted in their thinking. What's this world coming to?
                    It's the same line of thinking exibited by some pro life folks. They believe in thier cause to the point that they would bomb an abortion clinic or shoot and kill the doctors/nurses that perform the abortions. They can somehow justify that taking a life is so bad, that they will kill to prevent it. Mental illness can manifest itself in the strangest ways.
                    It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

I hope at least the ticket was a "warning" ticket and not an actual citation with a court date and a fine.

Comment

?

Inducing vomiting is not a solution for choking...
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                          ?

Inducing vomiting is not a solution for choking...

HAHA! Thats what I was thinking!!!
                          The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                          George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by safetyallday View Post
                            It's the same line of thinking exibited by some pro life folks. They believe in thier cause to the point that they would bomb an abortion clinic or shoot and kill the doctors/nurses that perform the abortions. They can somehow justify that taking a life is so bad, that they will kill to prevent it. Mental illness can manifest itself in the strangest ways.

Or liberals who feel sorry for imprisoned terrorist who would not think twice to kill your loved ones...their hatred for Americans and everything about our country, they are in spite of. But they seem to want to cater to these people while others are out there sacrificing their lives to make this country safer.

You have the extremes from both sides.......

Comment

This is such bull ****. The officer did nothing wrong and still gets disciplined. I guess the officer should have ran up with some shock paddles and started hammering away at lil poochie till the damn battery died. Atleast then they could say he was being compassionate. However, that dog would have probably been fried from the paddles use and Im almost sure, the officer would have been blamed for that as well...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4515 users online. 234 members and 4281 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X