300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you have done?

The dog dying thread got me thinking about the time I went rushing down the road with one of my children heading to the ER. Calling for an ambulance would have wasted precious time because of how far out we are.

Anyway, the speed limit for about 7 miles of the drive is 60 and I was doing around 80. Once I hit town, I was still speeding, but not as fast. I stopped for red lights and then continued through even if the light was red but no traffic was coming. I rolled through stop signs.

A cop did pull up behind me with lights and sirens. I had my 4-ways on. I stuck my hand out the window to wave and let him know that yes, I saw him, but was not stopping and he could follow.

I pulled up to the ER door, jumped out, grabbed my baby, glanced in his direction and went inside. He was free to follow me in, ticket me, or arrest me at that point. My goal was to get my baby seen.

He waved and left.

Yes, what I did was dangerous. I was also very aware of traffic situations and gave green lights the right of way. I called the doctor as I had left and filled him in and told him I would meet him at the ER. I hung up with him half way down the highway. My daughter was very sick and spiraling downward very quickly. She had RSV and was a newborn.

So what would you do or what would you have done?

1. A minivan is speeding and running red lights.
    2. 4-ways are flashing.
    3. Driver signals to you.
    4. You "chase" vehicle into ER.
    5. Suspect pulls newborn baby out of the van leaving doors open and van running as she goes inside.
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
    The dog dying thread got me thinking about the time I went rushing down the road with one of my children heading to the ER. Calling for an ambulance would have wasted precious time because of how far out we are.
    I've thought about that a few times as I'm a fairly new parent, spent many years as a FF/EMT, and the time spent waiting for an ambulance vs. driving myself to the hospital.

What I'd have done is call an ambulance. More so because of how far out you are.

If something happend on they way (besides you causing a wreck) which would you prefer:

1. Watch an experienced ambulance crew do their thing and save your kids life.

or

2. Carry your blue lifeless baby into the ER.

If it's something life threatning requiring you to drive like a batt out of hell I'm going with the ALS Ambulance.

If it doesn't require an ALS Ambulace, there really isn't a hurry to go sit in the waiting room of the ER for two hours to be seen.
    "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Being a Dad is really funny the things you do. I will not sit here and tell you that you handled your situation correctly but I understand about being rurual waiting on a volunteer ambulance crew versus having the most important thing in your life needing assistance. You are lucky you got there in one piece, and you are lucky the Officer (probably experienced) saw your intentions both in where you drove and what you did to probably your face. Cops especially those with experience read faces good. You need to find out who the officer was and thank him personally for not taking a different action than he did. Officer discretion is a great thing. Your actions could have put you and your child at greater risk. Iam glad it worked out for you though and your child.
      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
        Well I'd attempt to pull you over, you woudlnt pull over, I'd adivse radio I got one running... Supervisor would get on air, and ask me what I got other than not stoping and speeding, I'd say nothing. And he'd say cancel the chase.
        Next time I feel like getting into a pursuit I need to come to your town. I bet the crooks love it there!! hahahaha....
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
          Well I'd attempt to pull you over, you woudlnt pull over, I'd adivse radio I got one running... Supervisor would get on air, and ask me what I got other than not stoping and speeding, I'd say nothing. And he'd say cancel the chase.

Same here...no pursuit for "traffic only"
          It's not worth killing someone for a traffic violation.
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
            So what would you do or what would you have done?

1. A minivan is speeding and running red lights.
            2. 4-ways are flashing.
            3. Driver signals to you.
            4. You "chase" vehicle into ER.
            5. Suspect pulls newborn baby out of the van leaving doors open and van running as she goes inside.
            I would have rammed that minivan right off the cliff and watched it explode into a firery inferno as the debris and charred bodies slammed to the ground. Then I would have ran into the ER pointed my gun at your....oh wait, wrong thread.

In all seriousness while Im sure I would have been ****ed, it appears you have a legitimate emergency. I would let you deal with the doctors and I would standby and wait till they were done. As soon as I was sure that your baby was ok and you had calmed down, I would have you and I just talk.
            Of course now I have to go park your minivan before someone steals it....

Comment

You didn't say what was wrong with your baby.
              Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
              Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
              A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post

Why is that of any importance?
                "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

I'd still question as to why you're speeding, if you're in a hurry to the ER for your baby delivery than I'd let you go.

Comment

You had the doctor on the phone, you could also have had 911 on the phone letting them know of your situation requesting meeting with an officer for transport assistance or meeting an ambulance half way. This of course depends upon how far away. If I was your situation and a few blocks from destination when the police engaged I would have done similar not have stopped. Had I been further out where the officer could provide transport while I provided care to the child I would have stopped and explained. For all you know the officer could have had adequate emt type training and you drove away from that.

As luck has it, I have not been in that situation yet, so it's all guess work.

Comment

The other thread brought this idea up?

I hate using the saying "It's like comparing apples and oranges." But that's exactly what this was, comparing apples and oranges, a dog to a child, 80 to 100MPH+.

(If you asked in the Ask-a-Cop section you'd get only police officer responding).

Comment

Because there are a multitude of problems a baby can have that do not require emergency attention, and particularly risking the baby's and the mother's lives driving hell bent for leather at 80 mph and rolling past red lights and stop signs.

Originally posted by JSODEP5338 View Post
                        Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                        Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                        A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                          Because there are a multitude of problems a baby can have that do not require emergency attention, and particularly risking the baby's and the mother's lives driving hell bent for leather at 80 mph and rolling past red lights and stop signs.
                          No disrespect intended but, Are you a parent? If you are, then you would know the difference between having to run red lights, and waiting at them.
                          The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                          George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkis View Post
                            The other thread brought this idea up?

I hate using the saying "It's like comparing apples and oranges." But that's exactly what this was, comparing apples and oranges, a dog to a child, 80 to 100MPH+.

(If you asked in the Ask-a-Cop section you'd get only police officer responding).
                            I think that was her general idea behind the post. Not making comparisons, but finding out what they would do in this instance.
                            The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                            George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose
                              Yes, she did. She said the baby had RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus).
                              Originally posted by JSODEP5338
                              Originally posted by rubyrose
                              It's also important because RSV can kill a newborn by interfering with breathing.

It's a low-traffic rural area with a 60 MPH speed limit; not a more congested urban area with a 30 MPH speed limit.

If the breathing was labored, it seems to me that she did the right thing: she apparently judiciously balanced her baby's possibly mortal danger against the safety of herself and others, and that apparently was so according to discretion of the officer.

I hope the baby is ok.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3055 users online. 143 members and 2912 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X