300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackavar
    Does this seem like a lot of dogs in a short period of time to anyone?
    Its a conspiracy!!!

I must have missed the part where it happened four years ago. There should be a statute of limitations on lawsuits like this. Forget it. She gets $500.00 to replace the dog. Done
    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
    George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
      Nope....we shoot about the same per year.....mostly pits....
      LOL Nice.
      The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
      George Carlin

Comment

Mostly pits in Omaha too. But, there is a large population difference between LASO and Omaha.
        Omaha population = 419,545
        LASO's population = 2,944,422.

Yes, I am sooooooooooo anti-cop and full of conspiracy theories to ask such a question.
        Most of our dog shootings are in only a few areas.....kind of like our OIS incidents now that I think about it......
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

It was four years ago, she does not deserve anything at this point. If she would have filed within a year I can see the city paying her for a new dog and that's all.

But four years ago.........I don't think so.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Pay for dog, owner gets the meat....Done
            Originally posted by mookster
            Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
            Originally posted by CityCopDC
            I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
            Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
            I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
            -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

That makes sense.

For argument sake though ....

What if Omaha's dog shootings are in a similarly sized (porportionally) smaller area?
              Dunno.....teach the K-9s to not reach into their waistbands when jammed?
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyPower View Post
                they shot a lab, because it was....dangerous?
                A lab attacked my fiance in the back of a ghetto house while she had someone at gunpoint............... It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie View Post
                  tell me that is a misprint. Four years ago?

Four years ago she was fine.

But today, gas prices are high and economy is going to shi7.

So she needs some cash.

Speaking of economy going to shi7 and gas prices are high. 27 years ago, I had a teacher hit me on the head with a ruler. I wonder if I can sue. It has to be the reason why I am stupid today.

Nope it's not a misprint, I know the two officers involved. Mike did retire about a year to go ago.
                  Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                    Nope it's not a misprint, I know the two officers involved. Mike did retire about a year to go ago.
                    hmmmm.....unless civil law is very different there, the statute of limitations to file a civil claim is WAAAAAAY over 4 years after the incident....

Comment

I'm not 100% sure what our statute of limitations are on civil claims. Maybe when I get to work tonight I'll pull out the book. Such as everyone said they may be entited to some money, but not what they are asking for. What's a pure breed lab run about these days? Maybe $1,000 or so, and I'm sure the dog they had wasn't even that.
                      Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

My dad just picked up a full bloodied yellow lab for $1,400.00 I believe, it was not less than $1,200.00.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Our animal control here told me black labs are responsible for more bites than any other breed here. Most are friendly knuckel heads. I have run in to a few that were plain mean though.
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure what our statute of limitations are on civil claims. Maybe when I get to work tonight I'll pull out the book. Such as everyone said they may be entited to some money, but not what they are asking for. What's a pure breed lab run about these days? Maybe $1,000 or so, and I'm sure the dog they had wasn't even that.
                            Here's what I was able to find in my little Blue LexisNexis

Section 25-201

Civil actions; when commenced.

A civil action shall be commenced only within the time prescribed in this chapter, after the cause of action has accrued. Notwithstanding any other provision in this chapter, when an action has been stayed by any court of competent jurisdiction or by statute, such action shall be commenced within the longer of (1) the time prescribed in this chapter, after the cause of action has accrued, or (2) one year after the date the stay is no longer in effect.

Section 25-212 Revised Statutes Chapter 25
                            Actions not specified.

An action for relief not hereinbefore provided for can only be brought within four years after the cause of action shall have accrued.

Comment

Originally posted by BPD_126 View Post
                              A lab attacked my fiance in the back of a ghetto house while she had someone at gunpoint............... It happens.
                              I also kicked my neighbor's lab in the head when it attacked my dog, and have had a co-worker/neighbor's lab charge us while walking. Dogs are dogs.

Considering that this woman raised the kind of child to have a no-knock search warrant served on her house and she probably didn't do any better with her pet, I have a hard time believing her side of the story.
                              "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

Published Wednesday August 20, 2008
                                Omahan sues city after police killed family dog
                                BY MAGGIE O'BRIEN
                                WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Lucky Boy, a 2-year-old chocolate-colored Labrador retriever mix, died in unlucky circumstances.

The dog was shot and killed by an Omaha police officer nearly four years ago.

His owner, Colleen M. Carroll, on Monday filed a lawsuit in federal court accusing the city and two police officers of violating her Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure as a property and pet owner.

The lawsuit seeks at least $250,000 in damages.

"It's been tough on her," said Carroll's attorney, Bob Broom of Omaha, who said Lucky Boy was a peaceful family pet.

According to court records, Officers Constance Garro and Mike Ashbrook, along with at least two unnamed officers, executed a no-knock search warrant at the Carroll home, 6568 Military Ave., on Nov. 18, 2004.

Carroll and Lucky Boy were in the living room at the time.

The lawsuit says officers, standing outside the home, had not announced their presence when one of them fired a shot that entered the house through a storm door and struck Lucky Boy. He died soon thereafter.

The search warrant was for stolen property believed to be connected to Carroll's adult son, Broom said, and had nothing to do with her.

Broom said Lucky Boy posed no threat to officers and should not have been killed.

In a police report filed the day Lucky Boy was shot, "a sergeant said the dog was dangerous. We have no idea where that information came from," Broom said.

Ashbrook retired last year, police said. Garro is still on the force.

Lt. Darci Tierney, a spokeswoman for the Police Department, said police officers have no choice but to shoot dogs that appear dangerous and a threat to public safety.

Tierney said police recruits have started receiving training on how to deal with dangerous dogs and dogs in general.

Paul Landow, chief of staff to Mayor Mike Fahey, said Omaha police have shot 39 dogs since 2007. Of those, 32 were pit bulls and one was a pit bull mix.

Fahey is sending City Council several measures in response to a series of pit bull attacks in recent months. The proposals would place restrictions on pit bulls, but not ban them.

"In the line of duty, Omaha police officers encounter a large number of dangerous dogs," Landow said. "Sometimes it is necessary to shoot those animals."
                                I feel for anyone who loses a pet, but isn't it a bit late?...
                                Detention Deputy (In Process)

Deputy Sheriff/KS State Trooper (After Detention)

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other off." -Tommy Cooper

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2790 users online. 135 members and 2655 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X