300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS stolen this weekend........:(

Well, my stupidity finally caught up with me..........

I left my car door unlocked, and my brand new GPS got stolen.
    The thief(s) targeted the neighborhood, and stole items from several people.

So my question is, is there any likelyhood of getting our stuff back?
    Do the police even investigate petty theft?

Now for the second issue: I think I know exactly when this happened, as the dog was going NUTS in the garage at the time. I suspect this scared off the thief, as they left the car stereo, iPod, and a small amount of cash that was all in plain sight. ( I know, pretty stupid)
    I didn't think much of the dog barking at the time, but now I realize she was likely barking at the thief.
    For future reference if I hear her barking, go investigate and discover someone in my car stealing things, can I shoot them?
    Or would that land me in prison? (I live in IL)

I have herd stories (stories mind you) that some people were able to track down their GPS units by calling the company and have them track it to it's current location.

I have no idea if that is true, a Doctor told me about that once. As far what the police could do, I will leave that for them to answer.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I do believe that is true. I think youll need the original receipt and serial number.
      The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
      George Carlin

Comment

Question: Can Garmin track my stolen GPS device?

Answer:
        Our GPS devices are strictly GPS receivers. They do not output any kind of signal that can be tracked.

No joy there.

Comment

If you have the serial number of the GPS, that can be put into the system....that MIGHT give a slim chance of recovering your property.

Bottom line....dont leave ANYTHING in your car that you are not willing to lose. Tweakers love to break into cars to take anything that isnt nailed down.....then pawn the items and use the cash for more meth.....

btw...in most states you CAN NOT use deadly force to stop a property crime....YOU would be the one going to jail....unless you can articulate that you were in fear for your life or the life of another.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

That's kind of what I thought about using deadly force, but thought I'd ask.

Wish I lived in Texas..........

Comment

Sadly, I don't have the serial # (I had JUST GOT IT, and in my rush to play with the new toy, didn't write anything down or register it online.)

If I were to scour the local pawn shops and find the correct make and model, AND it had my addresses programmed in ( I had my home address and work address programmed in already), would that be sufficient proof to allow the police to confiscate it as stolen property?

Comment

If you still have the box their should be a serial # on the box, in the warranty info or somewhere else other than the receipt.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by mmtsquid View Post
                  Sadly, I don't have the serial # (I had JUST GOT IT, and in my rush to play with the new toy, didn't write anything down or register it online.)

If I were to scour the local pawn shops and find the correct make and model, AND it had my addresses programmed in ( I had my home address and work address programmed in already), would that be sufficient proof to allow the police to confiscate it as stolen property?
                  It would be here......assuming that the thief and/or the pawn shop doesnt flush the memory on it.

As far as the serial number goes....do you still have the packaging or the manual?.....the serial number is sometimes on those as well.....
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I still have all the packaging - it didn't even occur to me that the serial # might be on it.
                    There are only 3 or 4 pawn shops in the area - I think I'll go shopping after work!

BTW, since nobody seems to ever have anything nice to say about the po-po, hows this........

When I called the police saturday morning, the officer answering the phone was very courteous, and a cop was at my house in less than 2 minutes.
                    I was shocked that they even showed up!
                    When I lived in St Louis, I had to go THERE to fill out a report on a burglary!

Good job guys!

Comment

FYI: When you go to the pawn shop, you need to ask the clerk to check for your item. What you see in the show cases and on the shelf is only a fraction of what a pawn shop has. Your GPS will be in back waiting for the bad guy to come make good on thier loan, unless they out right sold the item.

Comment

Thanks LT!

Comment

Tough break man.

For future reference ...

If you ever want to know what the law is regarding you, the victim, using deadly force to protect yourself or your property ... well, first consider reason ... and then consider whatever the exact opposite of that is, and that is most likely what the law is.

Liberals work hard to enable criminals, and they don't want you getting in the way of that.
                          There is nothing to see here.

Comment

An update.........
                            No joy at the pawnshops, but I was looking on Craigslist and lo and behold.....
                            A Garmin Nuvi 200, like new - complete with dash mount and car charger.
                            For sale in MY TOWN!
                            I called the PD, but the detective was in a meeting.

I sent an email to the seller, stating I was interested.
                            If I go check it out, and the serial # matches, what should I do?

Comment

Originally posted by mmtsquid View Post
                              If I go check it out, and the serial # matches, what should I do?
                              Dig a deep hole far out in the woods, and throw your "GPS device" in it. Dead or alive, either way ... and don't call the cops about it.
                              There is nothing to see here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6416 users online. 374 members and 6042 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X