300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always heard that a car can be used as a weapon

Looks like the criminals picked a woman who wasn't willing to be a sheep.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/H...Y&pageId=1.1.1

OVERLAND PARK, KAN. -- Three suspects are on the loose after shooting at a woman at Oak Park Mall at 95th and Quivera in Overland Park.

Police said the 54-year-old woman was in the parking lot near Dillard's at Oak Park Mall when the three suspects approached her.

The victim police are calling "Patty" said when she got into her car a group of guys pulled in behind her, blocking her in her spot and then one of the suspects put a gun to her head.

Patty said he ordered her to let them in and then shot at her tires.

But instead of letting the men in her car, the 54-year-old used her car as a weapon.

Patty told police she was worried she would end up dead like Kelsey Smith, the teenager who was kidnapped and later killed from the Target parking lot across from Oak Park Mall.

"I just started jamming their car, backing up, jamming their car. They shot again and started screaming 'Let us in!' He shot again and said the next one's gonna be in your head," Patty said.

But instead of Patty being scared by the warning shots, the suspects got scared by her battering ram tactics and took off in their damaged car.

"I just looked at the barrel and thought what am I gonna do," said Patty.

What she did, police said isn't what they would recommend to other potential victims.

"The lady did what she thought was right at the time. But our stance is, that it's better to give up money or property than to get yourself hurt," said Jim Weaver, Overland Park Police.

But Patty said she feared giving in would lead to her death. And Patty said, she wouldn't do anything different.

Police said it's a tough call for anyone to make and it's lucky no one was hurt.

The suspects were last seen in Kansas City, Kansas near 18th and Metropolitan. They were driving a stolen red Intrepid with rear damage on the passenger side.

Police were in pursuit of the suspect's vehicle earlier Friday afternoon, but lost it in Kansas City, Kan.

If you have any additional information, call Overland Park police or the TIPS hotline.
    News video available at the link.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it and I'm very glad it worked out for her.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

You would recommend her letting them in the car? Across the street from the scene of a recent carjacking-turned-murder?

There's no easy answers here; all of her options carried, frankly, a low probability of her getting out in one piece. If they had said, "Gimme your wallet," then her actions were stupid. But they said, "Let us in (your car with you.)"

In today's world, if you don't see that as a death sentence, you are an eternal optimist and I hope things work out for you. This lady evidently wasn't willing to trust the mercy of hoodlums.

Of course, not having been there, I don't know if the story, as reported by the paper, is misleading a bit to sell newspapers. I've heard of that happening before.

I'll repeat, no easy answers to her situation. Always try to play it smart and choose the best chance for success. But if ALL of my options are crappy, I will choose to get my licks in, not cower and follow instructions from dirtbags. As we see in this story, bad guys are generally cowards, and it worked out for her.
      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Sorry, I have to agree with Patty, too many ladies are raped, killed or both. The only thing differant I would recommend for Patty is getting a pistol and learning how to use it.

My wife carries a Taurus Judge in her car. I'm sure a #4 shot in the face from a 410 would discourage car jacking.

One thing I learned in my 20 years in LE, is if you want a crime investigated, call 911, if you want to prevent a crime buy a pistol.

Comment

Something tells me the thugs in the story are not going to be bragging about being 1 up'd by a 54 y.o.a. lady, in her grocery go getter. Too bad they got away.

Comment

I can't believe that OPPD was in pursuit of anything. They have a strict no-pursuit policy.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I'm a little confused. If the intent was to hijack the car, why did they shoot at the tires? Wouldn't flat tires...ummmm....make it a little difficult to get away with the car?
              Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
              Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
              A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

After realizing she was not goingto lay down and take it, they probably determined it would be best to try and stop her from leaving and being a witness against them. In order to get her disabling her means of escape probably seemed like the thing to do. But who knows it is not like you have to pass a some common sense exam to be a criminal.

Comment

In which case, she was wise to do what she did. If they don't want her as a witness their only choice is to kill her.

Yeah, I know, criminals don't tend to be especially bright.

Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
                  After realizing she was not goingto lay down and take it, they probably determined it would be best to try and stop her from leaving and being a witness against them. In order to get her disabling her means of escape probably seemed like the thing to do. But who knows it is not like you have to pass a some common sense exam to be a criminal.
                  Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                  Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                  A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

glad she didn't end up as a statistic...thats a tough call being as she had no way out...its not like she could have jameed the gas and pulled away...they may have shot her if she got out and told them to just take the car as well...criminals are unpredictable when they are involving themselves in violent crimes...too bad they got away, they'll probobly do this to someone else with worse consequences
                    sigpic
                    "From now on, all your opinions will be ignored!"

Comment

School Cop and the others pretty well summed up my feelings about this situation. It was a bad situation with no good options, but I would also draw the line at letting them in the car with me. It was a calculated risk and I'm glad it worked out well for her. I applaud her for having her wits about herself well enough to not just comply and put herself at much greater risk.

Comment

She did the right thing. With the odds in favor of her being killed anyway, she did what she should have done. Even if they had gotten into her car, she drew an assload of attention to the situation with the ramming of the car, and damaged it as well. Hopefully these guys will be caught.
                        The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                        George Carlin

Comment

I would have done the same thing.
                          http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would have gotten out of the car and put 14 rounds of .40 Ranger SXT's into it as they got in. But that's just me.
                            "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

a car makes the perfect battering ram. The woman made a smart choice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5422 users online. 305 members and 5117 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X