• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego officer charged in dog's heat stroke death

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...ego-off-1.html

San Diego officer charged in dog's heat stroke death
    6:34 PM, August 15, 2008

A veteran San Diego police officer was charged today with a misdemeanor in the heat stroke death of his police dog.

Paul Hubka, a 22-year veteran of the department, was charged under a state law making it a crime to leave a dog in a closed car on a hot day. Hubka's police dog, Forrest, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, died after Hubka left it for hours in his police car outside his home in rural Alpine on a day when the temperature exceeded 100 degrees. A necropsy determined that the dog had died of heat stroke.

Friends have said Hubka was emotionally devastated by the dog's death. "I understand and share the strong emotional reaction to Forrest's death," said San Diego County Dist. Atty. Bonnie Dumanis. "However, it's the only appropriate charge for these facts."

Hubka would face a maximum sentence of six months in jail and a fine if convicted. He is to be arraigned in Superior Court on Aug. 28. After his dog's death, Hubka was assigned to desk duty, at which he remains, according to the San Diego Police Department.

The department has launched an internal investigation into Forrest's death to see if departmental punishment is warranted. With 45 dogs, the San Diego Police Department says it has the nation's largest canine unit. The dogs are used for patrol and to detect drugs and weapons.

Dumanis, in a statement, noted that the law calls for a felony charge only in cases of intentional animal cruelty. If charged with a felony, a police officer is immediately suspended without pay.

"This case should serve as a reminder that no one should ever leave an animal inside a closed car, not even for a few minutes," said Dawn Danielson, director of the San Diego County Department of Animal Services.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

That's just friggin sad right there. RIP Forrest.

Comment

This was most likely a tragic accident, can't people understand? Why would you ruin the life of a person over the death of a dog. charging the police officer will bring more hardship to the officer and the community.

Comment

Hubka's police dog, Forrest, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, died after Hubka left it for hours in his police car outside his home in rural Alpine on a day when the temperature exceeded 100 degrees.

He was at home and the dog was left in the car for hours.
        http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by roqi View Post
          This was most likely a tragic accident, can't people understand? Why would you ruin the life of a person over the death of a dog. charging the police officer will bring more hardship to the officer and the community.
          Because our actions have consequences. I suspect this was a mistake, but as I try to teach my son, sorry doesn't make everything okay. If the officer didn't want responsibility for the animal, he should have chosen another department.

I also fail to see how this is "ruining" anyone's life. He is charged with a misdemeanor - it could have been worse.

Having said that, I feel for the officer, and his partner.

Comment

The icing on the cake is that the city attorney's office, under the holier-than-thou City Attorney Mike Aguirre, is suing him for the civil damages "suffered" by the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
              The icing on the cake is that the city attorney's office, under the holier-than-thou City Attorney Mike Aguirre, is suing him for the civil damages "suffered" by the city.
              Like it or not, the city had a significant investment in the K9.

Comment

Look, his carelessness led to the death of his partner.

While I don't think he should be charged with a felony or anything, it's pretty grave and I don't believe he should keep his job.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

They don't have a "hot dog" system. I just assumed all canine units were set up with an auxillary cooling system for the dogs when they have to stay in the car.
                  The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                    They don't have a "hot dog" system. I just assumed all canine units were set up with an auxillary cooling system for the dogs when they have to stay in the car.
                    The hot dog system is not all that it is cracked up to be. I think of the ones in my unit only maybe 2 are actually functioning. They all began to show failures after about a year. Even when they were operational they are only as good as the cars they are in. In the past year I have seen two 2008 CV's have cooling failures that caused them to blow HOT air into the car. Even with a hot dog system in full operation you would have to get back to the vehicle in less than 8 minutes of failure in So fla heat.
                    Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

It's hard to accept something like this as a tragic accident. It ranks below leaving your child in the car during summer heat for several hours and dies of heat stroke.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6042 users online. 333 members and 5709 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X