300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your first?

what was your first call? to make this more open anyone can answer who is LEO, been on a ride along, an explorer, or firefighter or EMT professional.

mine is when i was an volunteer firefighter. it was my first day on the engine and we weren't getting called to anything. everyone started to say i was a "white cloud" (had to explain but basically when i am on the engine no good calls come in). anyways it was about 1630 and we were trying to decided what to eat. then those tones rung out and my adrenaline shot through the roof. the call was a T/C rollover with injuries. we get geared up and go code 3. i am excited and nervous not knowing what to expect. we roll up on scene and there is total mayhem. we were one of the first engines on scene. we see a car that has barbed wire wrapped around the front of it. clothes and other debris everywhere. couple of people in the car and a couple on ground. i was kind of taken back by everything. i went to grab the medical bag and i hear someone scream "i killed my sister, i killed my sister" we run over and there is a 4 year old face down on the pavement with brain matter exposed. we tried everything but she was DOA. we ended up air lifting 3 others to trauma centers with serious injuries. i will never forget this call for the rest of my life. what makes it even more tragic is that it could have been prevented. the little girl was sitting on her sisters lap in the car unrestrained.

so anyways no matter what your first call was, share it with us. cant remember your first, then what is your most memorable one?
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Non-LEO but will do the ride a long call. The first call we went on was an assault/battery call with a bat/home invasion/drug deal gone bad. That call came out right after the officer I was with logged in. We rolled code over there and a white male had taken a nasty shot the face with a metal bat.

They sent him to the hospital, secured the scene and had robbery/homicide and a CSI unit come out and we cleared the call. Nothing major but an interesting way to start the night.

They claimed that a home invasion had just occurred and they were tied up and placed on the floor at gun point. But a female, that was in the residence told the officer I was with that a few guys came over to buy narcotics and the felt they got shorted and then grabbed a bat that was in the house and started swinging.
    Last edited by djblank87; 08-16-2008, 08:45 AM. Reason: info

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

First call that made an impression on me was on my first ride along. It was to check on a guy. We got tied up on the way there so another officer took the call for us. He got to the house and was greeted by an AK47, every cop in the county showed up almost instantly, and they killed him in self defense the next morning after a standoff. The officer was ok but things could have been different if we had taken it like we were supposed to. Just made the seriousness of the career sink in real fast.
      Last edited by exdrip; 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM.
      "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

My first run on the ambulance was a code. I was new, and I wasn't cleared yet. But I was at the base when the call came in, I was a warm body, and I knew CPR.

As far as "memorable" calls go, there is one that stands out in my career. It happened just about three months ago. I can't go into much detail about it because the subpoenas have just started flying.

Comment

930N - Neighbors complaining that their neighbors dog has been barking all day long and would like it to stop.

All work, no show
          ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

1st ride along with my agency of choice. 10 hour shift, 1800-0400. At 1815 we get a call for a dead body laying in an apartment parking lot. Sure enough we pull in and there it is laying there. Older woman maybe late 40's. Turns out she was alive but slipped a disk in her back and wasnt moving.

20 minutes later we were in a high speed pursuit of a 2005 pontiac GTO. Had a robbery in progress, multiple DV calls, disturbances and one DV call where the guy had fire arms. Great night and alot of fun. Made me want to be in the profesion even more after that night. Hopefully will get the call soon.
            sigpic

Comment

459R - Burglary report

It was pretty exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
                what was your first call? to make this more open anyone can answer who is LEO, been on a ride along, an explorer, or firefighter or EMT professional.

mine is when i was an volunteer firefighter. it was my first day on the engine and we weren't getting called to anything. everyone started to say i was a "white cloud" (had to explain but basically when i am on the engine no good calls come in). anyways it was about 1630 and we were trying to decided what to eat. then those tones rung out and my adrenaline shot through the roof. the call was a T/C rollover with injuries. we get geared up and go code 3. i am excited and nervous not knowing what to expect. we roll up on scene and there is total mayhem. we were one of the first engines on scene. we see a car that has barbed wire wrapped around the front of it. clothes and other debris everywhere. couple of people in the car and a couple on ground. i was kind of taken back by everything. i went to grab the medical bag and i hear someone scream "i killed my sister, i killed my sister" we run over and there is a 4 year old face down on the pavement with brain matter exposed. we tried everything but she was DOA. we ended up air lifting 3 others to trauma centers with serious injuries. i will never forget this call for the rest of my life. what makes it even more tragic is that it could have been prevented. the little girl was sitting on her sisters lap in the car unrestrained.

so anyways no matter what your first call was, share it with us. cant remember your first, then what is your most memorable one?

My first call as a volunteer fireman was a mutual aid request thereby requiring us to leave our quaint suburb and go into the city to assist their professional F.D. A couple of rooms in a hotel were on fire. They mostly only needed help because it was August, and here it's too hot to walk across the street in August much less move about in fire turnouts. Shortly thereafter I had my first memorable, fully involved house fire.

My first call as an EMT student was to a fight that had broken up. A teenage girl had been hit in the head and was feeling "tingley" in her neck, plus her ears were ringing. I also remember a good goose egg on her forehead. All said and done she was fine. She just wanted to put on a show for the deputy that was taking a report.

My first call as a solo paramedic was a drug overdose on the part of a woman who had just gotten out of rehab. She was mostly coherent with a patent airway. I put her on the monitor, started an IV, and away we went.

My first memorable 911 call when I briefly dispatched was from a bystander who watched a guy drive his car off into a creek. He drowned before anyone could get to him.

My first call as a police officer was at about 10:30 at night, in December (cold), in the rain. I stood outside the front door of a house listening to a woman talk about the argument she just had with her husband who had left the house prior to her calling us. We did FTO prior to the academy. I remember the rain dripping off my hair, running down my forehead and thinking, "Brian, is this really what you want to be doing? I'm freakin cold. I want to go back to the car and get my jacket. Why aren't these other cops wearing jackets? Are they cold? This sucks, and I'm really not even sure what she's talking about. I don't even know where I'm at right now. How did we get here? Is she ever going to shut up?" LOL. I loved being the real po po.

My first self-initiated arrest as a cop while in FTO was a felony count of endangering the welfare of a minor. A drunk idiot took his four year old son out on a cold, winter night so he (the dad) could get drunk and play poker. He then left the house after having lost all of his food money and walked down the street thru a not so safe part of town, fell off in a ditch, and passed out in a bed of fire ants. His son was left standing on the street corner crying. Fortunately, my FTO and I were the ones that drove up on him. I still wonder why fire ants were out at that time of year.

My first solo arrest was a shoplifter (I think). I can't really recall at the moment. If it's the case I'm thinking of she stuck some frozen steaks down her pants and tried to leave the grocery store with them. I do remember that the jail was full and I had to release her on a citation.

My first "incident" as a ranger was a speeder who passed a car over a double yellow in a curve. I then took off after him and pursued him for quite some time before he blew his engine up. (Of course he never saw or heard me behind him and just coincidentally his car overheated.) Upon getting out of my Jeep I told him to put his hands on the wheel at which time he began squirming about in his car. I pulled my Glock out, approached, screwed it to his ear, and got him out of the car. The rest is history. His problem? His DL was suspended, he had no insurance, the car's registration was expired, plus the other three offenses I observed him committing. It didn't matter because according to him, "Granny, just got put in the hospital." Ironically, I've stopped no less than three other people within a mile of that spot who have all had someone suddenly "get put" in the hospital.

I miss doing everyday law enforcement, but I like my new multipurpose role. It's fun in its own way.

Comment

Don't remember...couldn't even begin to guess.

Comment

A local.

(Fire.)

Comment

Kids throwing rocks.

Comment

Mine was on a ride along. Loud house party.
                        "It peed on me! That's resisting arrest." (Kelso, "That 70's Show")

Comment

As a trainee, my FTO and I were cleared out of graveyard briefing early for a 187 drive-by shooting...very first call, first run rolling code, first DB all rolled in one.
                          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

This was my first call as an intern ride-along:

It was a medical run that turned into a domestic.

Wife wanted to go to the hospital, husband wouldn't take her. Both were smashed and husband was belligerent with us and rescue.

After about 15 minutes of treatment, and the husband telling us we have no business in his house, and that his wife can take herself to the hospital if she wants to, the wife went to walk with one of the medics out to the rescue unit, and had a seizure on her front lawn. As the medic is guiding her to the ground, with his hands around her waist, his hands catch her shirt and pulls it up and over her bra. Husband comes out and starts laughing at her and calling her fat.

Officer I rode with chuckles, looks at me and says welcome to law enforcement, enjoy.
                            A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Riding along with FHP.

I got to see traffic stops, and even got lucky enough to see them work a wreck and make an arrest.

As far as calls as a dispatcher goes, I cant even begin to remember the first call I took. I can take over a hundred in a single day. I remember the serious ones though.

Woman stabbed over 25 times drives to walmart
                              Vehicle vs power pole, flipped upside down with live lines and entrapment
                              Woman overdoses on Cocaine, liquor, and pain pills in a suicide attempt.
                              Woman calls after her friend shot herself in the head, and didn't know where she was
                              Officer punched in the face and her radio died. Answering the 911 line and hearing her I will never forget.

And so much more. Every day is like another "first."
                              "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2984 users online. 146 members and 2838 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X