300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers carring guns

HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

On the Web:

Harrold Independent School District, http://harroldisd.net/

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/.../5945430.html#
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

oh

my

goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

If all requirements needed to see to it that the teacher is more than responsible to handle certain situations and that has been checked and cleared (not a nut case) as all schools should already do if you're sending your children to be in the same classrooms, and that the teacher is properly permitted and trained, I am with it.

But, I'm also a firm believer that school should be an a higher class learning environment where there is a fine line between firearms and the educational system. I believe strongly in funding for SRO's and the presence of uniformed/plain clothes police officers on the school grounds and some security.

With that article, I could see the uproar of people saying things like "only in Texas...those hillbilly's are now giving firearms to teachers and letting them have at it...."

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
        oh

my

goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
        Thats what I thought. Don't mess with Texas has new meaning!

Comment

I see this as a good thing, *especially* given that they can expect a long response time for LE because of their location. The criteria listed by the district for the teachers implies that they will, hopefully, receive additional training.
          The gun policy Teachers and staffers in the Harrold school district can carry firearms beginning this fall if they:

Have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun.

Are authorized to carry by the district.

Receive training in crisis management and hostile situations.

Use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Source: Harrold school district
          http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/834022.html

Comment

Originally posted by MCAPO View Post
            I believe strongly in funding for SRO's and the presence of uniformed/plain clothes police officers on the school grounds and some security.
            Unfortunately, local governments have limited means. Rural towns in Texas probably can't pay teachers much of a salary, let alone hire school resource officers.

Besides, it being Texas, most of the students are probably armed, too.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I had six students in jail for guns and/or knives by the winter break last year. Had any one of them decided they didn't like my instructions, even under the best of circumstances, there is no way our SRO would have been to my room before really bad things happened.

In reality, a couple of times last year, I needed assistance and called 4 admins, the front desk, 3 deans and the SRO office and got only voicemail at all locations because they were on other calls. Due to the litigious nature of society, I was at the mercy of the "student."

Our SRO's are absolutely outstanding and provide services for 2400± students and the faculty and staff. I feel better with them around. However, it is a fantasy to think they will prevent isolated acts of violence that aren't tied to an existing gang report or investigation or similar. They aren't equipped with crystal balls to know when one of these thugs is going to decide today is the day they've had enough of a particular teacher or student.

Two SRO's simply can't be everywhere they are needed. No matter how well trained and responsive they are, and the resources simply do not exist to hire more.

Just a reality check and food for thought.
              Last edited by HeadonaStick; 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's a good idea...I mean school shootings are rare, this is border line paranoia...Maybe if the teacher(s) work in a bad neighborhood...

Has the school foiled a shooting?...
                Last edited by Southflaguy; 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                  I don't think it's a good idea...I mean school shootings are rare, this is border line paranoia...Maybe if the teacher(s) work in a bad neighborhood...
                  The number of students caught carrying weapons is on the rise. The number of physical assaults on teachers is on the rise.

How long until these thugs put the two together?

Comment

Love it. Simply love it. God loves Texas.

I got my wife (a schoolteacher) a tazer because she couldn't carry the real deal in her classroom. No policy against tazers.
                    The All New
                    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Great idea, implement it nation wide and school shooters will need to second guess their plans. Something like this would also make a Beslan style attack harder to carry out.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadonaStick View Post
                        The number of students caught carrying weapons is on the rise. The number of physical assaults on teachers is on the rise.

How long until these thugs put the two together?

Not all school(s)/neighborhood(s) are bad...Assults on teacher is nothing new (unfortunately), aren't the guns only supposed to be used in a Columbine type of incident(s)?...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post

Has the school foiled a shooting?...
                          Funny- most school shootings have NOT happen in the bad/poor/ ghetto neighborhoods. they happen in middle class. mostly white/ yuppie areas.

columbine was a nice little ISD nested in this type of an area.
                          Greensbrough was a rural type area but again.....

notice all the shooters , or at least MOST are white kids from these neighborhood.

The poor kids know guns and know that they kill. they see this crap upclose.
                          Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think it is a VERY good idea.

Bill
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                              Love it. Simply love it. God loves Texas.
                              Yep, He does. I asked him.
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6083 users online. 318 members and 5765 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X