300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Carry on Military Bases

I'm a reservist and a sheriff's deputy in the Kansas City area. I am very adament (sp?) about carrying off duty. I was getting ready to wander up to Ft Leavenworth for something and the thought occured to me am I authorized to carry off duty on the base? Does anyone have any experience with this at all? I didn't know if any of the base law enforcement would be on here.

Hobbsie

No, you cannot carry on the base.
    Steve

Comment

It's up to the base commander....but

Don't ask, don't tell.........
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
        Don't ask, don't tell.........

Correct, base commanders call... I don't personally carry on base, I feel safe enough being around my guys.

Comment

I live next to a large military base in (insert Schwartzeneger accent) Kuhliforneeuh, and it is one of the only places I don't feel I have to carry. I don't even worry about locking my car up when I go to my friend's on-base housing area, although I do out of habit.

I carry everywhere else but the beach, the pool, and Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in PA View Post
            No, you cannot carry on the base.
            So HR 218 doesn't cover us on a base?

Comment

Hobbsie,

A friend and former co-worker of mine lived on base at Ft. Leavenworth, and when I visited, she made it clear that I should leave the firearm at home. From her account, and from my own experience, the civilian security guards at the gate can get pretty twitchy... Given your Reserve status, I'm not sure what would or would not apply to your case.

There is a huge thread on this floating around, I just don't recall exactly where. Perhaps under "Military LE"... Check the info there and you should be good-to-go.
              "...I'm gonna' ride that one-legged pony to baloney town..."

"I just assume most people are half-retarded, and it's my job to remind 'em."

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                HR 218 only preempts state and local laws. Military installations are governed by federal laws and regulations. So HR 218 also does not apply in national parks, for example.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hobbsie711 View Post
                  I'm a reservist and a sheriff's deputy in the Kansas City area. I am very adament (sp?) about carrying off duty. I was getting ready to wander up to Ft Leavenworth for something and the thought occured to me am I authorized to carry off duty on the base? Does anyone have any experience with this at all? I didn't know if any of the base law enforcement would be on here.

Hobbsie
                  If they say you can't then you can't. Remember their guns are bigger than your's.

Comment

It will depend on the base. Here in TX I had to pick up a friend on base across the state. When I got to the gate it clicked that I was armed, far from home, and had nowhere to leave my gun. There was a long line at the gate so the SPs were walking out to vehicles and asking their business. When the SP got to me I told him that I was a TX Peace Officer, armed, and had nowhere to leave my gun. He asked for badge and ID, looked at it, said not to worry and notified the visitor's center. When I got my visitor tag for my car that SP asked for badge and ID, logged my info, and told me I was okay. I said I would leave the gun locked in the car or in the visitor center and he said not to worry about it. I was surprised. He said they don't hassle cops. I carried, made sure I minded my business and had no reason to contact any other SPs, and left.

But I know that was the exception to the rule and I make it a point not to go to military bases for anything because I don't go anywhere unarmed. Plus the bases are far from home so I would have to travel a distance to and from unarmed. Not gonna happen.

As far as not feeling like I need to carry a gun on base and leaving my doors unlocked...............

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think some people view bases with rose colored glasses. A military base has crime just like anywhere else. That's why they have SPs/MPs. They have stricter punishment for those crimes but it's hardly a deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                      HR 218 only preempts state and local laws. Military installations are governed by federal laws and regulations. So HR 218 also does not apply in national parks, for example.
                      Makes sense.....I can't carry in the federal courthouse

Comment

Originally posted by tzbv2p View Post
                        Makes sense.....I can't carry in the federal courthouse
                        Here you can carry in the federal courthouse, but not in the courts. If you are going to a meeting in the US Attorney's office, or to see the Marshal, it's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbsie711 View Post
                          I was getting ready to wander up to Ft Leavenworth for something and the thought occured to me am I authorized to carry off duty on the base? Does anyone have any experience with this at all? I didn't know if any of the base law enforcement would be on here.
                          On orders as a military member you will not be allowed to carry on base, if the base commander has ordered that only people authorized by the military may be armed.

HOWEVER, not on military orders, in areas of concurrent jurisdiction you may be able to carry on base. In areas of exclusive jurisdiction you may not. It's best to consult with your agency counsel AND the base JAG.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                            It doesn't cover the military cops to carry either.

Comment

Realistically, you also have to consider what will happen if carrying is prohibited. Especially if you are in your home state, I think the chances that any action would be taken if it was prohibited and you are found out is negligible unless you were lying or signs were very clearly posted. Also, there should be some place where you could check your weapon(s). I have never really worried about it when I have gone on bases to go shopping.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5054 users online. 300 members and 4754 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X