300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 24 hr curfew in a U.S. City?!?

I'm amazed that a U.S. city is doing this.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,402704,00.html

HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. — Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.

On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.
    It hurts to say this, but I think I'm with the ACLU on this one.

My favorite quote from the article, by the mayor.
    "...some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."
    I realize that they obviously need to crack down on crime, but a 24 hour curfew, that lasts for a full week???

Reminds me of the DC checkpoints a few months ago.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
      Reminds me of the DC checkpoints a few months ago.
      I was thinking the same thing......

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I don't even understand what that means. Basically the whole town is not allowed out of their homes?
        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

That sounds more than a little crazy. The combined population of Helena- West Helena is on 15,000 and crime is so bad the basically enacted martial law? I read another article which say LE can talk to anybody they see on the street. (ok we can do that anyway) The second was that if their answers to their questions didn't add up there was further investigation. (again normal). The part I question was they made it sound like this was outside of a Terry stop and that people were not free to leave and mandated to answer questions. If this is true i'm guessing they haven't heard of the constitution yet and/or there is a ton more to this story.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
            That sounds more than a little crazy. The combined population of Helena- West Helena is on 15,000 and crime is so bad the basically enacted martial law? I read another article which say LE can talk to anybody they see on the street. (ok we can do that anyway) The second was that if their answers to their questions didn't add up there was further investigation. (again normal). The part I question was they made it sound like this was outside of a Terry stop and that people were not free to leave and mandated to answer questions. If this is true i'm guessing they haven't heard of the constitution yet and/or there is a ton more to this story.
            Do you have a city in Colorado with the demographics of this small town? Its similar to a ghetto. The residents aren't complaining.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Wow - so does that mean that anyone going to work(or at least anyone going by any means other than driving) is breaking the law? Does this apply to peds only or drivers too? Not to mention that in most places people can go to stores, restaurants, bars, etc. whatever hour those places are open.... Or heck, if I just want to go for a 3am walk I can do so at my own risk(though I don't for safety reasons)...

That town must be a complete dump to have to resort to such measures. And I'm comparing it to Oakland, CA and Richmond, CA, neither of which are nice but both of which I could at least drive through unbothered.

Comment

imagine the HUD discounts for leo

Comment

Next it'll be 48 hours. Then 72. Where does it end?

Seriously though.. My guess is it's just some stunt (not really the word I was looking for, but close enough) by the sheriff to put a little fear into the criminals. Like when maybe some narcs put out signs that say "drug checkpoint ahead", when there isn't one, just to see who starts throwing dope out the window.

Just being creative.
                  "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
                    Do you have a city in Colorado with the demographics of this small town? Its similar to a ghetto. The residents aren't complaining.
                    Tony, do you know anything about this place? I would honestly like to know what's going on there, that it got to this point.

Originally posted by 10-31Mike
                    Next it'll be 48 hours. Then 72. Where does it end?
                    I realize you said this a little tongue in cheek, but just as an FYI the article did say they kept this curfew 24 hours/day for a full week.

Man, I'd hate to have a business in that town. Both because of the curfew and because of the apparent crime problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
                      Actually I'm very familiar with the Area. I was through there in July. It's not like we are talking about the "finer" area of West Memphis here. This is a Town of 15,000 and West Helena is roughly 9,000 people. This is a low income somewhat rural area. I travel to Beebee, Jonesborough and Batesville on a regular basis. So yeah I'm pretty sure I have a grip on what that place is about.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

must be pretty bad, Im glad I live where I do
                        "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Its close enough here that anything that goes on there is a local news story. The news article pretty much sums up the problem there, of course they left one thing out, which I won't bother to mention, since the obvious is a big politically correct no no nobody is allowed to talk about.
                          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

The way I understand it, the curfew basically says if you're leaving your house at night for anything but work/hospital, you better have a good reason. They extended it to 24 hours because the over night thing wasn't working.

Now you have to have a legitimate reason to be beboping around town.

The most important thing to realize in this case is that the town's people PUSHED for the city councel to do something about the crime. This is what they got, and from what I've heard, only the criminals are complaining.
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Unless I'm miss understanding how this works. I don't see how its unconstitutional. You can still go out still carry out your normal lives. All the diffrence is that the likly hood of roger doright being stoped for questioning may be a bit higher.

If I'm going to the store I'm going to the store they can't stop me from going out to where I please it just may be a bigger hassle.
                              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2899 users online. 158 members and 2741 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X