300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people call the police?

because of a problem or for help right? well then why the hell do people complain when the police take care of that problem?!

DA's Office clears officer in death of 64-year-old man
    Stacia Glenn, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 08/12/2008 09:48:04 PM PDT

COLTON - There were no drugs or alcohol in the body of a 64-year-old naked man who was shot and killed by police in February after he swung a ladder at an officer, the District Attorney's Office announced Tuesday.
    Prosecutors declined to file charges against Colton police Officer Eugene Gloudeman in connection with the Valentine's Day shooting in an alleyway south of East C Street.

Neighbors called police after trying for a half-hour to get Antonio Cornejo under control. Cornejo was trying to break into people's vehicles and homes and even threw a rake at a man who was trying to help, according to a 20-page report released Tuesday.

Gloudeman "was immediately confronted with the bloody, nude, bizarrely behaving male suspect holding a wooden ladder above his head coming at him," prosecutor Robert Guzzino wrote in the report.

When Cornejo refused to obey verbal commands and continued advancing toward the officer with the 4-foot ladder raised above his head, Gloudeman fired his gun four times.

Cornejo was hit in the chest, stomach and left wrist.

He dropped the ladder on top of the patrol car after the shooting and sauntered away, causing a second officer to shoot a Taser gun at him, according to the report.

Gloudeman then knocked Cornejo to the ground near two cement steps as the man tried to get into a nearby yard. He died soon after.

Family and community members were outraged by the incident, leading them to rally outside the Police Department and declare that officers unfairly killed their loved ones.
    Cornejo was having an adverse reaction to medication that he took for depression and insomnia, family members said.

"All he had was a Bible and a stepladder. They had no reason to shoot him," Maria Reynoso, Cornejo's daughter, said.
    HE WAS COMING AT THEM WITH A FREAKING LADDER, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THE POLICE TO DO, THROW A ROCK AT HIM, GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!

note: yes the caps means I'm screaming because this makes me angry when people call the police then complain about what the police did
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

LE is a funny job ---it's the only job where, if you do your job you get in trouble & if you DON'T do your job you get in trouble.
    People expect officers to have "magic" solutions to their problems & it's not uncommon to hear people say " Oh, I needed the Police, but I didn't expect them to do THAT!". --- but they don't have a better solution
    In my later years in LE when people complained about officers I always asked them what THEY would've done & most don't have an answer. In that case I simply tell them they have no room for complaint & move on..........

Comment

The officers were cleared of any wrong doing so thats all that matters. The family and members of the community who prob. werent even there and not capable of understanding what can happen if someone bashes you over the head with a ladder can think what they want. imo
      Last edited by DeputySC; 08-13-2008, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Typical. Let em b**tch. He's dead and the officers are safe. Happy ending.

Amazes me how "loving" family members come out of the woodwork after something like this. Where the hell were they when "cuz" needed attention before he went off acting like a madman?
        sigpic
        Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
        And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

LE seems to be the go to guy for any problem JQP cannot solve or refuses to solve on their own. After all, they pay taxes and expect service for their issue whatever it happens to be.

Never mind the fact he was on meds for depression. God forbid his doctor make a decision to have him committed for evaluation before changing meds that could alter his thought processes and actions. Can't tell you how many EDP's I have had family say " the doctor said to call you guys and get an emergency mental detention the next time he does this." More often than not, I cant even squeeze out the necessary elements of danger to self /others ( just for bizarre behavior)

Comment

"All he had was a Bible and a stepladder. "

---LMFAO....Very typical....

Comment

Originally posted by NARC01 View Post

Wonder what McGuyver could have done with those

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                Typical. Let em b**tch. He's dead and the officers are safe. Happy ending.

Amazes me how "loving" family members come out of the woodwork after something like this. Where the hell were they when "cuz" needed attention before he went off acting like a madman?
                You think its good that the cops had to kil somebody? I hope youare not apolice officer. Police should not lavish or enjoy shooting or killing someone. It is the very last resort and one not to be taken lightly. The power to kill someone should never be taken lightly.

Comment

People complain about everything........ I notice that it says neighbors tried to subdue the man

Neighbors called police after trying for a half-hour to get Antonio Cornejo under control. Cornejo was trying to break into people's vehicles and homes and even threw a rake at a man who was trying to help, according to a 20-page report released Tuesday.

The man attacked them also.....and there were several of them there. One police officer is confronted by a man with a four foot weapon...... not much options there. Community needs to grieve, but not screw someones career or reputation by making ridiculous accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by NARC01 View Post
                    It seems the ladder wasn't tall enough to get to heaven the traditional way...
                    sigpic
                    Don't make me gassy.
                    You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                      You think its good that the cops had to kil somebody? I hope youare not apolice officer. Police should not lavish or enjoy shooting or killing someone. It is the very last resort and one not to be taken lightly. The power to kill someone should never be taken lightly.
                      I'm quite sure we're familiar with the proper use of deadly force- and you may want to reread the definition of "lavish".

The good guys went home- it's a good day.
                      summer - winter - work

Comment

Originally posted by Soleil_nuage
                        I guess a lot of you are fortunate that you have never had a loved one die unexpectedly. Because if you did, you would know that people who are grieving are going through very intense emotional trauma and therefore are not thinking rationally. There are different stages of grieving and intense anger is one of them. The anger is directed at anyone and everyone who was around the deceased for not having done enough to prevent the death. Unfortunately, cops, EMTs, hospital staff get caught up in it. It's not fair but it is a fact of life. The anger is also directed at the deceased but often never verbalized because of respecting the dead. As a grieving family member, you are even angry at yourself and feel very guilty for not having not anything and everything to keep the person from getting killed. After a while, this anger turns to acceptance.

When I read stories like this, I don't blame the grieving family members. I do blame people and institutions who are taking advantage of the intense grief to make money and get attention, like ambulance-chasing lawyers, so-callled civil rights advocates, the media, etc.

I can understand that you all need to vent about things. But do you think that it is the decent thing to do to make fun of and insult family members?

Like I said, it is not fair that cops (and EMTs, etc) can get caught up in the anger phase of grieving and I can imagine that it can be frustrating. But if it gets to point where you think that it is okay to lash out at the family knowing what they are going through, then it might be time to look for another line of work.
                        You presume a lot

Comment

Originally posted by ComicGuy View Post
                          It seems the ladder wasn't tall enough to get to heaven the traditional way...

That is so wrong in so many ways.
                          "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                            I don't see anyone taking it lightly that someone was killed. At least, what I'm taking away is the happy ending is that the police went home safe and sound that day after coming into a dangerous situation where it could've been one of them killed instead (yeah, blunt objects like a big ladder can do lethal damage to a body, especially when wielded by someone capable of launching a rake for distance--and a four foot long weapon kind of limits other options).

And here I was expecting a thread more along the lines of 'why do people call the police and then decline to prosecute?'
                            Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

Comment

Had an ole lady that got mad at us when my partners and I went into her burning house, pulled her and her motorized scooter out, but did not get her cats.... everyone rejoiced when the boys in the big red trucks came, put out the fire, and looked for the cats. Go figure.
                              "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6280 users online. 358 members and 5922 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X