X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 officers face discipline,caught on tape beating suspect

Pulled From: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d59_1218523994
    ______
    Police dash cam:WEST PALM BEACH,Video released August 11/08:One city police officer resigned and two more were placed on administrative leave after a dashboard camera captured images of them punching and kicking a handcuffed man in the face.

On May 26/08, Officer Louis Schwartz had pulled a car over outside a CVS pharmacy at 6800 South Dixie Highway when a pharmacy clerk told him a man in a bla More..ck ski mask looked like he was about to rob the store.

As Schwartz walked in, the man, later identified as Pablo Gilberto Valenzuela, 42, of West Palm Beach, ran out through an emergency exit, turning to spray Schwartz with pepper spray as the officer gave chase, according to police reports.

A video recording captured what happened next:

Schwartz drew his gun and, ordering Valenzuela to the ground, approached as Officer Kurt Graham, who had heard Schwartz's calls for help over the radio, closed in on the prone man. Graham put a knee into Valenzuela's back and handcuffed him.

The video then showed Graham punch and kick Valenzuela in the face. Schwartz approached and also kicked Valenzuela in the face.

Later, as Officer Jason Zangara hoisted a bloodied Valenzuela to his feet, the video showed Valenzuela lurching away from Zangara's grasp. Zangara whirled on the handcuffed man and punched him several times in the face, until the man collapsed on the pavement, the video showed.

Officers hauled him up again and led him out of the frame.

Valenzuela was held at the Palm Beach County Jail on charges of robbery, assault and battery on a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest.

In reports filed after the incident, Graham and Schwartz wrote that they kicked Valenzuela in the face because the handcuffed man was trying to bite Graham's leg.

"As I was crouching over Valenzuela he began to bite at my lower right leg," Graham wrote. "I felt his teeth graze up against my lower leg (through my pant leg). I immediately punched Valenzuela in the head in an attempt to stop his biting, at the same instance Officer Schwartz saw that Valenzuela was attempting to bite me, he kicked the subject in an attempt to stop him from biting me. As I arose to my feet I could still see Valenzuela attempting to bite me, this time I kicked him in the head."

Zangara wrote that he punched Valenzuela after Valenzuela tried to spit on him.

"I instinctively struck him in the face with my right fist to prevent him from spitting on me again as he was full of blood," Zangara wrote.

In the midst of an internal affairs investigation into the incident, Graham, whom a city spokesman described as a "rookie officer" still on probation, resigned on July 22.

Schwartz and Zangara - whose personnel files are dotted with suspensions and written reprimands - remain on administrative leave this afternoon while West Palm Beach Police Chief Delsa Bush decides their fate, said Chase Scott, city spokesman. It is unclear from the records if they have been on leave since the incident.

In an interview with internal affairs investigators, Valenzuela said the officers broke his jaw and gave him two black eyes and a gash that required four stitches. He said a fight with his wife during Memorial Day weekend triggered a stress disorder that preceded the incident on May 26.

Valenzuela, who said he was trades crew chief for Palm Beach County Facilities Management, said he had no memory of the confrontation or of the events that led up to it Less..

Go to the site to see the video

So the guy sprayed the cop with pepper spray, started to bite him and the cop is getting in trouble? How does that work?

Comment

It works like this - The officer made a poor choice. I'm sure you can think of several reactions that would be more appropriate than "boot to the head".
      Last edited by 1two9; 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM.
      "...I'm gonna' ride that one-legged pony to baloney town..."

"I just assume most people are half-retarded, and it's my job to remind 'em."

Comment

Originally posted by 1two9 View Post
        It works like this - The officer made a poor choice. I'm sure you can think of several reactions that would be more appropriate than "boot to the head".
        Perhaps so, if I had plenty of time to think about it, but that is not the reality of being in a fight.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Not being there to witness the actions of the officer(s), one has to question if the amount of force reported was reasonable and prudent to consumate the arrest.

Certainly, after the suspect is handcuffed and properly restrained it is not within the appropriante mandate and could border on excessive. But, as I said, I was not there.

The IA investigators will make their recommendations and the Chief will be the final authority to make the call.

Too bad that all of this had to hit the media. Once again, the media acts as judge and jury by reporting what will sell papers.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

wheres the rest of the tape....?
            "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Officer resigns, 2 fired over videotaped beating of handcuffed man

The Associated Press

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,5898624.story

Comment

Originally posted by Redstart View Post
                Officer resigns, 2 fired over videotaped beating of handcuffed man

The Associated Press

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,5898624.story
                I suspect these two. "Schwartz and Zangara - whose personnel files are dotted with suspensions and written reprimands - remain on administrative leave this afternoon while West Palm Beach Police Chief Delsa Bush decides their fate, said Chase Scott, city spokesman. It is unclear from the records if they have been on leave since the incident."

Like above, there had to be more, bt it doesn;t look good. The clip I saw on the news in passing was one guy PUNCHING the cuffed person "for spitting in his face" while talking. He had a broken jaw from those punches. that would be...slightly over reactions.

I really don't have the info to make a decision.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

That looks bad and the outcome on this, I imagine will not be pretty.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

No question the officers had the right to defend themselves.

But kicking in the FACE?

Note, however -- 16 seconds of the middle of the tape is missing.
                    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Oh, I didn't realize he was already handcuffed when the punching/kicking took place.

Comment

Im still trying to figure out if the chief is a man or a woman....

Comment

Originally posted by MaineSqueeze View Post
                          Im still trying to figure out if the chief is a man or a woman....
                          Woman.........

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Don't see anything that could have preceeded that to justify the video... he was lying down, handcuffed... they were standing up and clearly no longer in a fight, yet they kicked the man in the face. Hmm...

Comment

What aggravates me is when I seen the Chief, not that I already knew what she was going to say, but I'm sure she never had any problems with any of her arrests, because she probably never caught anyone doing anything serious when she was in the car.
                              The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4563 users online. 268 members and 4295 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X