300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen dies in baseball bat attack on deputies

According to the father the kid wanted to be a cop...It suck that he died, but his family didn't help...The family probably knew the police was after him (for armed robbery, and assult), and didn't turn him in...Another thing if the father wasn't there how does he know what happened....

http://www.nbc6.net/news/17158880/de...l?dl=mainclick

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/636944.html

BY WALTER MICHOT, DIANA MOSKOVITZ AND ROBERT SAMUELS
    [email protected]

PROVIDED TO THE MIAMI HERALD
    Jonathon Fontanez, 17, was shot and killed Monday morning while Broward sheriff's deputies were serving a warrant on him. Two deputies were hospitalized.

A 17-year-old robbery suspect was shot and killed and two sheriff's deputies were injured when, authorities said, the teen attacked them with a baseball bat early Monday morning.

Jonathan Fontanez's family had a different account of the incident, saying their son thought the deputies were robbers.

The deputies were attempting to serve a warrant on Fontanez at his home in the 4300 block of Southwest 33rd Street in West Park about 2 a.m. Fontanez was wanted on charges of aggravated battery and robbery with a deadly weapon, said BSO spokesman Jim Leljedal.

Five BSO deputies went to the home. Three went to the front door, while two went to the backdoor. The three at the front door announced themselves, Leljedal said, and a woman, apparently Fontanez's mother, came to the door but didn't open it.

Fontanez, armed with a baseball bat, ran out the backdoor, Leljedal said. A fight with the deputies ensued. One deputy suffered head and arm injuries and the other head injuries.

Fontanez's father, who was not home at the time, said the deputies did not identify themselves. Alfredo Fontanez, citing what his wife told him, said his son picked up the bat because he thought the deputies were robbers.

Deputies stunned Fontanez with a Taser, but the fight continued to escalate, and one deputy yelled that the young man was going for his gun, according to BSO. Another deputy fired a single shot at Fontanez, killing him at the scene.

The deputies were taken to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood.

The investigation is continuing.

sigpic

Isn't it strange that he grabbed a baseball bat, thinking robbers were entering his home, and ran out of the back door? Too bad, so sad, an idiot wannabe!!!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Don't swing on cops === Don't get shot...Easy
      Originally posted by mookster
      Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
      Originally posted by CityCopDC
      I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
      Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
      I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
      -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Fontanez's father, who was not home at the time, said the deputies did not identify themselves.
        Some crazy cool powers he has there!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
          Isn't it strange that he grabbed a baseball bat, thinking robbers were entering his home, and ran out of the back door? Too bad, so sad, an idiot wannabe!!!
          +1....the families "excuse" for there sons behavior doesn't add up. I am sure it will make them feel better and it pays better for public opionon to agree with there version but it just doesn't make sense. So he picks up a bat to defend against the "robbers" then runs away from his mother who went to the front door?
          There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. - Edmund Burke

Comment

Object lesson.......never bring impact weapon to gunfight......
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

another troubled misunderstood youth viciously slain by those sworn to protect us. several Ofc's present and they can't stop a child armed only with a piece of sports equipment?!?! he was probably leaving for little league practice when they attacked him. when will it stop?

i'm not serious, that's just the way some will like to explain it.

kudos for even attempting to deploy a taser. i doubt i would've ever even condsidered it. unless i'm misunderstanding the way it went down, it sounds as if the taser was deployed after he had already struck one Ofc. if a subject commits an agg battery on an LEO, in my precense, and is still armed the whole use of force matrix is fast forwarded str8 to DF.

Comment

And yes, this will affect his chances of getting hired by an agency.
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

More holes than swiss cheese in the parents story - go BSO!
                  All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                    It sucks that he died,
                    It does???

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                      I can't believe I laughed as hard as I did at this...
                      sigpic

Comment

I hope there was absolutely no other way to end this besides taking his life, that seems very severe when a shot to the knee would have most likely ended this without any loss of life. Taking a life should be a last resort, and with 5 officers on a 17 year old I wouldn't imagine that it was the only option.

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                        You should be ashamed of yourself! Making me laugh at such a terrible tragedy
                        Last edited by CajunController; 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Did everyone else overlook the fact that the suspect was trying to grab one of the deputies' gun?

Were the deputies in uniform?
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Meat View Post
                            It does???
                            Yes and no...The deputies did what they had to...

Did everyone else overlook the fact that the suspect was trying to grab one of the deputies' gun?

Were the deputies in uniform?
                            No, they were wearing black shirts that read Sheriff...

Last edited by Southflaguy; 08-11-2008, 02:36 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CajunController View Post
                              I hope there was absolutely no other way to end this besides taking his life, that seems very severe when a shot to the knee would have most likely ended this without any loss of life. Taking a life should be a last resort, and with 5 officers on a 17 year old I wouldn't imagine that it was the only option.
                              Never mind. As long as it was just sarcasm without smilies and wasn't true naivete or cop-hate.
                              Last edited by ateamer; 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM. Reason: Toned it down.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3757 users online. 236 members and 3521 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X