300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another baby hit

Got a note from an o.com member with a link to the following. I am passing it on without any editorial comment.

Baby, 1, hit by police vehicle in Jamaica Plain
    By David Abel, Globe Staff | August 9, 2008

A 1-year-old baby was injured when an officer driving a police vehicle hit the baby's carriage while crossing through a Jamaica Plain intersection, police and witnesses said yesterday.

The incident, which occurred shortly before 8 p.m. Thursday at Centre Street and Seaverns Avenue, left the baby, the mother, and the police officer hospitalized. None was seriously injured, police said.

Police did not release the name of the officer, mother, or child.

The police report said the mother and child "walked into the path of the motor vehicle, at which point [the officer] locked up the brakes, and the vehicle stopped abruptly, brushing the baby carriage."

At the same time, Divya Kumar, 31, a Jamaica Plain resident, said she walked out of the nearby Purple Cactus restaurant and watched as the officer turned onto Seaverns Avenue from Centre Street and hit the carriage with such force that it flew in the air and overturned.

"It's a misrepresentation to say the officer brushed the stroller," Kumar said. "The stroller caught air and landed face down - it was horrible and frightening."

She said the mother screamed before the impact and the baby was crying hysterically afterward.

She said the officer immediately got out of his vehicle to help them and "seemed helpful, genuinely concerned, and sorry."

She could not tell what the officer was doing at the time of the impact. "They should have been in his line of sight," Kumar said. "They were pedestrians going through a crosswalk. I don't understand how he didn't see them."

Police said they are investigating and declined to comment.

The mother and child were taken to Children's Hospital Boston. The officer was taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital.

It was not clear last night whether they had been released.

Glad that apparently no-one was killed or permanently/seriously injured.

Comment

Interesting choice of thread titles?

Why not..."Mother Pushes Stroller Into On-Coming Traffic?"
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Google Streetview of intersection
        summer - winter - work

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Glad everyone is ok.
          The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
          George Carlin

Comment

I don't care to review all your 400+ posts cmr164... but didn't you say in one of them one time that you were a retired LEO?

What gives with the title of the thread? High publicity?

Comment

No I don't remember him claiming to be retired LEO. He has implied that he is an LEO here is his bio from when he joined.

Hello from Republika Pilipinas

I was born in the UK and mostly raised in the US, served 6.5 years in the US Army, mostly taking care of some early computers. Finished my service on detached duty. Spent 2 years working for a couple of computer companies and then +20 years consulting, IR imaging, robotic vision, computer forensics, with quite a few short but intense contracts for various agencies. Came out to the Philippines on a 3 day visit and decided to stay. Got roped into a paramilitary anti-corruption unit, became the head of intel/surveillance and then the SecGen. Did everything from go after crooked judges and LEO hit squads to a big time Malaysian drug dealer, worked livelihood projects to find jobs for NPA rebel returnees, headed security for 100,000 person Easter celebrations, trained troops, gave seminars to the Traffic Management Group, etc. The whole thing was a pretty wild mixture of police work, mundane security stuff, anti-corruption, and anti-terrorism. I was part of the Law and Order Conference when the FBI and RSOs met with national and local police. I left the group when I got married but still have a consulting relationship with the PNP (Phil. Natl. Police) and have a PNP badge.

Things here are never black and white. So even though I have the badge and even the authority to do mundane things like write traffic tickets, I won't claim to be a "sworn officer" unless given a go ahead from a moderator.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post

Because it was sent to me in response to a previous news report I had posted where the mother died but threw the baby to safety.

Comment

Originally posted by cmr164 View Post
                  Because it was sent to me in response to a previous news report I had posted where the mother died but threw the baby to safety.
                  Which only reaffirms the lack of accuracy in your post title, as the first baby wasn't "hit" either - the mother was.
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Have a lot of split hairs lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing. Glad everyone is ok.
                      I may be blind, but thought I saw a crosswalk in that intersection.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyPA View Post
                        I may be blind, but thought I saw a crosswalk in that intersection.
                        Last I checked, pedestrians are legally permitted to cross a crosswalk only when it is safe to do so.
                        summer - winter - work

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4322 users online. 220 members and 4102 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X