300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life for 10 DWI's...

WICHITA FALLS, Texas — A man with nine previous drunken driving convictions was sentenced to life in prison.

Kenneth Chris Oneal, 58, received the maximum sentence Thursday after jurors convicted him of driving while intoxicated-repetition, his 10th drunken-driving related offense.

The offense was a felony because he had at least two such convictions in the past, prosecutors said. He faced from 25 years to life in prison.

Department of Public Safety troopers pulled him over in October and his blood-alcohol level tested at .215 percent, which means it was nearly three times the Texas legal limit of .08 percent, authorities said.

Ben Hoover, lead prosecutor in the case, said Oneal also had previously been convicted of assault and failure to stop and render aid.

"The jury handed down a big sentence, but it was a just sentence," Hoover said. "The jury apparently took this offense seriously and wanted to send a message that a multiple-DWI offender was not going to be allowed back on the roads of Wichita County."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5932916.html

ts about time. Unless we start taking DWI's as a more "serious" crime, then the joke we have it at now, we will have these people with all these DWI's and never let them take it as a real crime.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Habitual traffic offender after 3 DUI's. He has 9 convictions already. Yep 25 to life sounds about right.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Wow.

For ya'll non-Texans, Wichita Falls is about 100,000 people, but has some major crime problems. Their gang and drug culture is on a par with most major metropolitan inner city areas. They've got better things to do than continue to deal with this yahoo anymore. Maybe it'll even sober up a few more Wichitans.

Still, I can't believe he got life, in Texas. We're still behind the times and too lenient as far as DWI goes. The town I just left is about 60 miles from Wichita Falls, and our DA refuses to prosecute DWI (third or more) as a felony.
      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
        DA refuses to prosecute DWI (third or more) as a felony.
        Of course until one of his loved ones gets pegged by one. Then he'll be out to hang them. I'm glad this fool is off the streets for good.

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
          Wow.

For ya'll non-Texans, Wichita Falls is about 100,000 people, but has some major crime problems. Their gang and drug culture is on a par with most major metropolitan inner city areas. They've got better things to do than continue to deal with this yahoo anymore. Maybe it'll even sober up a few more Wichitans.

Still, I can't believe he got life, in Texas. We're still behind the times and too lenient as far as DWI goes. The town I just left is about 60 miles from Wichita Falls, and our DA refuses to prosecute DWI (third or more) as a felony.
          Well, if your state allows for it, he should be following the law, IMO.

Here in NJ, no DWI's are prosecuted as felonies. All are heard in Municipal Court. Thus, the max sentence is 180 days in jail. I'm actually handling the appeal on a nine time offender( For the State, not the defendant) because he claims he wasn't the operator. If his conviction is upheld he'll still only get his 180 days in jail.

As for life in jail in the aforementioned case, I have a hard time believing that this could withstand a constitutional challenge. As much as I hate drunk driving, it would seem to me that life in prison is a clear violation of the 8th amendment.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

The law should be changed to
            3 strikes your out
            3 DUI;s and your in life without parole. DUI's need to be taken more seriously because as of right now, there a god damn joke. Its amazing that someone can actually get away with 9 DUI's. Thats 9 times a death or serious incident may have happened. OMG american justice system WAKE UP!

Comment

Crude baseball analogies. 3 strikes and you're out forever. Even the guys that strike out get a next inning.

I'm not sympathetic toward a guy that got caught for DUI 9 times, but if he didn't kill anyone, I don't think he should get a tougher sentence than guys who deliberately did. Some murderers get paroled in less than 7 years. Why should we go off more severely on someone who endangered many, but didn't actually injure anyone?

I think forced rehabilitation due to pernicious-result ethanol habituation, including appropriate punitive action regarding DUI, on the FIRST offense, might have helped to prevent the 8 others.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_HKS View Post
                The law should be changed to
                3 strikes your out
                3 DUI;s and your in life without parole. DUI's need to be taken more seriously because as of right now, there a god damn joke. Its amazing that someone can actually get away with 9 DUI's. Thats 9 times a death or serious incident may have happened. OMG american justice system WAKE UP!
                While I am not at all sympathetic to DWI, life for a third offense is draconian and would never pass constitutional muster. I mean, one could say that it would be a huge deterrent, as would cutting off a person's hand for stealing, but I certainly don't advocate that in America.

My beef here in NJ is that we don't indict multiple offenders because they claim it would over burden the jury system( yet we indict multiple offenses of prostitution). Again, this is serious business and at least if we made it a third degree crime to where a person could get 2-5 years then perhaps it would send a message.

Good topic. Perhaps I'll have my students do a paper on it this Fall.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

God, I wish I could find that judge. Wisconsin is way to easy on DUI, it takes five offenses to even be a felony here. And even then, hardly ANYONE ever goes to prison for it, most felony offenders get 9 months in county jail.

Wisconsin leads the nation in per capita DUI and our judicial system does nothing about it.
                  Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                    Crude baseball analogies. 3 strikes and you're out forever. Even the guys that strike out get a next inning.

I'm not sympathetic toward a guy that got caught for DUI 9 times, but if he didn't kill anyone, I don't think he should get a tougher sentence than guys who deliberately did. Some murderers get paroled in less than 7 years. Why should we go off more severely on someone who endangered many, but didn't actually injure anyone?

I think forced rehabilitation due to pernicious-result ethanol habituation, including appropriate punitive action regarding DUI, on the FIRST offense, might have helped to prevent the 8 others.
                    The three strikes rule doesn't apply till you have been charged w/ a third felony after already having served time twice before in a state jail facility or penitentiary. By my count he's at least three felonies overdue.

Life in Texas is considerered 60 years and his life sentence is parolable. Barring problems inside he'll probably do 8 1/2.

Having been to the funerals of more officers killed on duty by DUI offenders than by other criminal action I'll not complain of his judgement.

Comment

This is another instance where exile to some far-away island in the Indian Ocean would be a better punishment. The taxpayers will be spending about $1 million to keep him in prison for the rest of his life. It would be much better to get rid of him at minimal cost.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, DAL, let him make pruno out of the coconut milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                          Yeah, DAL, let him make pruno out of the coconut milk.
                          With luck, it would be fatal.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5222 users online. 290 members and 4932 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X