• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retired LEO/child molester shoots himself

Suspect found dead in motel
    Man believed to have shot self as officer arrived
    Stacia Glenn, Staff Writers
    Article Launched: 08/07/2008 09:31:58 PM PDT

REDLANDS - Behind the door of Room 4 is where the tale ended.
    A Redlands police officer walked down the hall of the nine-room Sunrise Motel about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

His destination: a room where a convicted child molester was believed to be hiding.

In hand was a warrant to arrest Walter Ward Davis, 74, for not appearing in court last week to be sentenced for continually sexually abusing a child.

The officer and a motel manager who led the way never saw the curtain move. No face peeked out the door.

But Davis somehow knew the police were closing in. Perhaps he knew the acquaintance he came face to face with earlier in the day would turn him in.

A single gunshot rang out, and the officer heard the distinct thud of a body falling. He radioed for backup.

"As our officer was approaching the door - before he even had a chance to knock on the door - a gunshot went off," said Redlands spokesman Carl Baker. "We don't really know how he knew we were coming."

It was nearly an hour before police approached Room 4 once again. An officer holding a shield in front of him broke out the window and pulled the curtain aside to look inside.

Davis was lying on the floor, a revolver beneath his body.

Preliminary reports are that Davis committed suicide. An autopsy is scheduled for next week.

"This is generally a quiet place," said Andy Patel, a Sunrise Motel manager. "It's the first time something like this has happened here."
    Only one other guest was staying at the motel during Wednesday night's commotion.

It is unknown how long Davis had been staying at the motel. He and his wife separated months ago, and she said he had not returned to their home since being released from jail July 3.

Davis was arrested Oct. 12 on suspicion of child molestation. He pleaded guilty to molesting a young family member at least three times in three months in 2005, officials said.

The plea deal meant he would not have had to serve any additional time in jail but would have to register as a sex offender and spend five years on probation.

Davis was deemed a fugitive last week when he failed to show up for sentencing. He faced up to 16 years in prison for failing to show up, officials said.

"He never liked to discuss much about his life," said Barbara Davis, his wife of about 19 years.

She said they were going through a divorce, and she last talked to him when he was released from jail.

"When he came out, he asked for his wallet," Davis said. "It was the only thing of his I had at the house."

Her husband liked to do crossword puzzles and was a retired police officer, she said.

Few signs of the shooting remained Thursday afternoon other than a blanket shoved through the broken window.

"After the incident, we closed down that room," Patel said.

The door of Room 4 remains tightly shut.

Correspondent Sean Smith

contributed to this report.

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_10133996?source=most_viewed

guess this proves the point that there are bad apples in every profession. makes you wonder though, how a cop becomes a child molester. or one better if he was a child molester before he became a cop how he went through the process successfully. i know the process does not weed out all the bad apples but none the less does surprise you when you hear something like this about an LEO.
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

No loss.....glad we dont have to pay to house and feed this POS.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
      good point!
      This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

Guys with an evil urge like the one to molest a child can be categorized as to whether they fight against the evil urge or embrace it. The ones who still have some sense of right and wrong will often seek to join a profession with strict morals to help themselves fight the urge. That is one reason why molesters become priests or cops.

Comment

What kind of stupid a** psychobabble is that? Child molesters go to many professions with the idea that the job will provide them with victims and opportunity. To imply that people are driven to law enforcement or the priesthood regularly to escape their own demons is baseless and insulting. If you see yourself as one of "those", perhaps you're trying to rationalize your own faults by trying to convince yourself we're all like you. Not so by a long shot.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Double post. Sorry!
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

+1 for pulicords

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
              What kind of stupid a** psychobabble is that? Child molesters go to many professions with the idea that the job will provide them with victims and opportunity. To imply that people are driven to law enforcement or the priesthood regularly to escape their own demons is baseless and insulting. If you see yourself as one of "those", perhaps you're trying to rationalize your own faults by trying to convince yourself we're all like you. Not so by a long shot.
              You took the words right out of my mouth brother. To go a step further, if he sees himself as one of "those" he needs to get out of LE before he adds a blemish mark to it. I don't know if he is or not, but it sure sounds that way from his post.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                How right you are!

Comment

I'm just glad the retired cop/diaper sniper didn't decide to shoot at the officer serving the warrant....

Note to Redlands Officer: I know he was 74, and a retired cop. But maybe next time take a partner and rather than go to knock on the door by yourself...oh, yeah, and you might consider calling him on the effen' phone to gain his compliance, or start the drama from a safer place rather than you standing outside the door in the kill zone.

Just my .02.
                  Last edited by Kieth M.; 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM.
                  "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I saw the article in the paper a couple of days ago and still don't know what agency he allegedly retired from or how long he was a cop. But, based on his age, he could easily have been one before all the polygraph and psych testing came into action.

The PD I was with before going on the CHP had an old sergeant who was working one day and gone the next. After a month or two the information leaked out that he was a child molestor. Don't really know what happened to him. At the time he was in his fifties and had been with the agency for twenty + years.

I feel so sorry for the poor children who are the victims of such uncouth demons. They suffer more than the predators.

My heart does go out to his family for the burden they must now bear due to his heartless actions.
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6690 users online. 364 members and 6326 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X