300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9 sniffers

I heard this story from the guy on our local radio station in the morning (Footy for those of you who live here) he was talking about how he was at MIA and a guy right behind him said "what's that dog trained to do" the cop says, explosives, drugs (the whole nine yards) and the guy said well that dog isn't trained well, I've got some Marijuana on me, it was medical and he showed him the permit he was let off nothing happened, but if this is a genuine story and this happens, that's not good.

And your point is?

I'm not sure I would believe 3rd hand info provided from a radio talk show.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I'm questioning that but I'm asking K-9 handlers/TSA or someone who'd know about this subject here what they would think and if this could at all be true.

Comment

As an airport LEO, I can tell you that our dogs are some of the best in the country in EOD detection. As far as marijuana, it will be dependent upon the involved airport as to whether their dogs are cross-trained in narcotics & EOD. I am not sure that TSA-owned dogs (which are in most larger airports) are cross-trained. If in fact the story was true, the handler could have had an EOD dog and did not want to publicize to everyone that his dog was EOD only and not narcotic. You can definitely train it to do both, but it is preferable to have EOD dogs smell EOD only, because of the large amount of scents involved in EOD detection. I would think at Miami airport, they would have both narcotic and EOD detection, but who's to say that the involved dog was cross-trained in both.

With that said, a medical certificate for medical marijuana doesn't mean much in TN and many other states. I would think that the only reason he was let go is because the officers exercised some discretion and decided not to arrest him.

Comment

Taylor, was the guest Irv Rosenfeld? Irv is the one of 7 that has full permission to legally use MJ in all 50 states. He receives 300 prerolled joints every month from NIDA institute in Mississippi, and has been doing so for 22 years and has no ill health effects at all. To answer your question as best I can from my experience with K9's is that perhaps the container it was in was non-permeable and vacuum sealed or as SgtScott said is an EOD only dog.
          Last edited by CajunController; 08-09-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Its also possible that the dog was trained to alert only under specific circumstances and the officer declined to give out his training regimen to a civilian.
            sigpic
            Don't make me gassy.
            You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunController View Post
              Taylor, was the guest Irv Rosenfeld? Irv is the one of 7 that has full permission to legally use MJ in all 50 states. He receives 300 prerolled joints every month from NIDA institute in Mississippi, and has been doing so for 22 years and has no ill health effects at all. To answer your question as best I can from my experience with K9's is that perhaps the container it was in was non-permeable and vacuum sealed or as SgtScott said is an EOD only dog.
              A little clarification please. How does one go about receiving "permission" to carry marijuana legally in all 50 states?

Nevermind, I did the research myself. That's interesting..

http://www.medicalcannabis.com/press..._Rosenfeld.htm

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                A little clarification please. How does one go about receiving "permission" to carry marijuana legally in all 50 states?

Nevermind, I did the research myself. That's interesting..

http://www.medicalcannabis.com/press..._Rosenfeld.htm

Indeed, was humorous watching him on Capitol Hill light one up... a few officers came over and just kind of looked at him with this "WTF are you doing" expression and he just whipped out the card. What I don't understand and maybe you have more insight into this than I, is that cannabis (THC) is a Schedule 1 narcotic meaning it has no medical value. Why is it then that there is a 100% Pure THC pill (Marinol) and why is the Dept. of Health and Human Services placing patents on cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants?

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507.html

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3430 users online. 174 members and 3256 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X