Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My short term advice would be to attend this function. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=40&t=313688 if a good dose of blowing stuff up won't help you then I fear you are lost.

Also Sturgis Bike Week just got over, I know lots of SD officers who work Sturgis for the week, and that should get your love of action and people over for a while and be glad to be back in small town SD.

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning View Post
      What have you guys done to help when you get burned out on the job? This is my first sworn position and I have been there a couple years. I can't see myself doing anything else but I dont even enjoy showing up to work anymore...any ideas would be great
      Define "burnt out". Tired of your dept or area? Stessed due to certain types of encounters during calls? Bored out of your mind? Don't like the office politics? Feeling "boxed in" because of no room for growth? The solution really depends on the reason why you are feeling like that.
      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post

Jeez, it was only 25 when I got the drop in my insurance premiums... I had no idea it was all downhill after that.

M-11
        LOL

One foot in the grave, the other on a banana peal, honey.

That would explain why it's getting harder for me to get up in the morning. I will be 32 in three weeks...hehehehehehe
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Burned out at 24 If you're unable to find an outlet in your dept, for whatever reason. You need to leave ASAP because you ain't going to last 20/25 yrs. Any chance you're more disgusted with your dept, as opposed to being burned out?

Comment

The job isn't for everyone. No shame is deciding that you want to change careers. Get out now as it isn't going to get any better. Don't think a promotion is going to cure it. Now you take on the responsibility of everyone else's problems and screw ups. You are going to take the heat from above for the failures of the people under your command and that will only add to the pressure.

Takes your time and thinks about it. Get something set up and make the move if you really do want to get out of LE.
            Richard Scalzo, Capt. - Retired
            Secaucus Police Department
            Secaucus, NJ

Comment

i was burnt out too after only two years. but that was mainly b/c my agency wasn't letting me do what i came to do. i chose police work b/c i love being outdoors, driving, face to face encounters, dealing with people, applying law, and staying in good physical condition, as well as the all around helping people and I HATE sitting at a desk at my age and i never wanted to be a paramedic or anything i hate that stuff, not for me. well i got hired with a sheriff's office that put me in the comm division and i sat at a console answering 911 calls, mostly medical calls, dispatching people to here and there and listening to all of the deputies on patrol doing all the things i wanted. i waited from age 16 until 21 to become a cop and i found myself still waiting. it made me bitter, angry, and VERY burnt out. i put in my notice, and started doing exactly what i always wanted to do.

if you're doing exactly what you always wanted, and you're burnt out, don't be afraid to think of something else you'd want to do. maybe there's another job for you. don't forget there are forestry services, state park rangers, railroad police, campus police, postal inspectors, wildlife officers and a BROAD range of jobs that you could use your LEO certification for. if you're a certified officer now, you've met qualifications ALOT of people can't meet.

Comment

It is more the place and not the job. I can't see myself doing anything else, there is just alot of stupid crap going on in the agency, most of my coworkers feel the same way I do.
                si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Be cautioned that when/if you move to a larger agency, you will likely meet with similar problems. The fact that the department has specialty units, more rank, etc. does not mean that you will get these positions any time soon, if at all.
                  If you move to a larger PD with positive asperations involving professional mobility, and then find yourself not obtaining the positions that you had hoped for, what effect will that have on you? Burn out is nothing compared to 'equity issues'. Burnout comes, and goes, and can diminish over time. Equity issues usually worsen as time passes.
                  'Positional stagnation' is a very realistic possibility in this notoriously political profession. It would be nice if your PD had an interset in your professional goals, and in seeing you achieve these goals. In most cases this is not how it is, and realistically most of the people who keep themselves motivated on this job do so in spite of their department's inner workings, not because of it.
                  If you go to a busier PD, all that you can be assured of is that you will be busier, not nessessarily happier. Do what brings you the most satisfaction. Good luck.
                  Last edited by CUFFS137; 08-10-2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I know where you are coming from this job has alot of highs and lows. Try and stay away from negative people its hard in this profession i know but some coworkers are never happy. When people complain in my department i just walk away or try not to listen too much. All that gossip and complaining wears on you and can bring you down. Usually, if you notice the people that complain the most never leave. They usually outlast everyone else and they get promoted. All departments have there own unique problems. Try and find just one aspect of the job you enjoy and work on it to perfection, then pick another example dui.

Comment

What have you guys done to help when you get burned out on the job? This is my first sworn position and I have been there a couple years. I can't see myself doing anything else but I dont even enjoy showing up to work anymore...any ideas would be great
                      You're not the only one man, I am just turning 26 this week and have been on the streets two years and eight months and I am at the same level. Follow some of the tips above and it should help. I find the lay low for a week thing to help very much. Unfortunantly I feel better for a couple weeks then I have to relax again.

Best of luck man and hope it works out.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not that old, but I think alot of you twenty somethings are spoiled. Back then, I was just glad I had a job, which wasn't LE and was too busy working to think about being burned out.
                        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I'm 24 so I don't think I'm going through a age crisis. I'm single but I don't put alot of thought into that, there isn't much to choose from where I am. I appreciate the thoughts. I am applying in some larger agencies so hopefully something will pan out.
                          Make sure you take your time, do your research, and not go to a place with the same exact issues but on a bigger scale. No need to go through this again because you were in a hurry to get out the first time.
                          "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Do you have any long service leave or annual leave accrued or are you able to access leave without pay? If so, apply for it and and have a good break or work at something completely different for that duration and then go back to work. If you still feel the way you do, maybe it's time to get out.
                            If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

Check out this article on LEO Burnout

Check out this article on defeating burnout...

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Police-Life/Quickshot-Burnout--Identification/17$39757
                              Last edited by KAA951; 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM.
                              ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

I'm not sure I can say something that hasn't been said already, lots of great advice. One thing I may suggest is too stick it out unless you are absolutely miserable. Being miserable is a dangerous position to be in because it can lead to increased citizen complaints, carelessness when doing your job etc. There was a period in my career early on where I felt the same. After speaking with other more experienced officers and other criminal justice professionals, I realized the job really is what you make of it. For me it helped to set daily goals to increase motivation. Whether it was at least 1 arrest per day or one ticket per day etc. Sounds silly but it occupies your mind and keeps you busy until you get that arrest. The other suggestion would be to better yourself in some aspect like going back to school to get a degree or taking martial arts classes (Krav/MMA) or whatever. This occupies much of your off-duty time and on duty time. On nights I would respond my calls for service and then when it slowed down I would do homework or study. Lastly, I was getting more so bored than I was burned out. The above suggestions helped as well as a change in my position. I got the K9 position and absolutely love it. I also process crime scenes in my city. There are things you can do to alleviate the boredom, even in a boring small department. Try looking into programs like DARE or neighborhood watch, or work towards a specialty such as K9 or SWAT. If all fails, transfer PD's or SO where there is more going on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6713 users online. 384 members and 6329 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X