300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm burned out any help??

What have you guys done to help when you get burned out on the job? This is my first sworn position and I have been there a couple years. I can't see myself doing anything else but I dont even enjoy showing up to work anymore...any ideas would be great
    si vis pacem para bellum

Originally posted by 00svtlightning View Post
    What have you guys done to help when you get burned out on the job? This is my first sworn position and I have been there a couple years. I can't see myself doing anything else but I dont even enjoy showing up to work anymore...any ideas would be great
    Not sure what Department you work for but its definitely not a good thing to not enjoy showing up to work. How about transferring to a different area command or precinct for a change of pace? Or maybe transferring to a different position? Our department has Temporary Assignments. For example, 30 Days with this unit or 60 Days with that unit, etc etc....

Maybe that'll help.... Good luck....
    The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning View Post
      Study hard for the next promotional exam and get promoted. That's what I'm in the process of doing now. I've been burned out for the past 5 years. Only a couple of years as an officer and you're already burned out? It took me about 7 years to burn out and I work in the most violent city in America.
      Last edited by JB2245; 08-09-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

when it gets to much for me, and I get that feeling, I stop working details and overtime gigs and just stay out of uniform as much as possible. I also make sure and not answer my phone, and not watch any cop shows. I just try to stay out of uniform as much as possible. I also might put in for a day or two of vacation if it's kinda bad. After about 2-3 weeks of this I'm usually remotivated and feel like I just got out on the streets.

Oh, I also take it lightly on shift. Usually no traffic stops, unless it's something so bold and gross and right in front of me. I'll patrol a bit, and hit one of my hide outs and park and just listen to the radio on my unit (stereo), then hit a few corners and back to another lay low spot. Basically only active when I get a call. After about a week of doing this I'm usually good. Lucky for me I have a supervisor that understands the need to just lay back sometimes instead of gungho cop 24-7.
        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am in a small agency no room for promotion or different assignments or anything. We are expected to be the jack of all trades. I am applying for different jobs elsewhere so hopefully somethings pans out
          si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

You could try remembering that there are plenty of people out there who would give anything to be a sworn officer as you are.

I hear ya on getting burned out at work though, been there done that.
            A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

take a vacation and start fresh on monday, that could help.

Comment

[QUOTE=Contact;1365414]You could try remembering that there are plenty of people out there who would give anything to be a sworn officer as you are. QUOTE]

I second that.

What helps me is remember how badly I wanted this job and how challenging it was to get it. I never forget the happiness I felt when I found out that I was hired. Those thoughts help me through my burnt out moments.

Comment

Perhaps cultivate some stress-relieving activities, such as swimming, cycling, rowing, walking, angling, photography, track & field, or anything else that lets you get your mind off the job and/or provides some moderate exercise.

Comment

Before we get to the job, any other things outside of work maybe not to your liking?

Body image

Relationship(s)

Turning a "milestone" age? (30 or 40?)
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Move from a small town precinct to a big town precinct in a bigger metropolitan area. What's also great about moving to a different area is a change of scenery/pace/ and everything in between.....not so much for the small town same ol' same ol'

Comment

I'm 24 so I don't think I'm going through a age crisis. I'm single but I don't put alot of thought into that, there isn't much to choose from where I am. I appreciate the thoughts. I am applying in some larger agencies so hopefully something will pan out.
                        si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Turning a "milestone" age? (30 or 40?)
                          30's a milestone Age?

Jeez, it was only 25 when I got the drop in my insurance premiums... I had no idea it was all downhill after that.

M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I'm suprised you burned out that early in your career. I think we all go through some time in our career that we feel burned out. Find a good hobbie and take a break from the job, remember it's just a job, a pay check. Good luck and stay motivated.

Comment

It sounds like you bored instead of being burnt out.
                              Patrick
                              Excuses only please the one telling them!

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6539 users online. 359 members and 6180 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X