300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badge question restoring the lettering

I need to restore my badge, the color is gone in some of the letters and I was wondering if there was any techniques to restore the ink in the letters? I was thinking of using a paint pen, but has anyone done this?

Take it to a jewelr possibly?

Comment

I have seen people take paint, like model paint, and a very fine tooth brush or even a toothpick and repaint the lettering. Seems like a cheap alternative to buying a new one or having it restored professionally.

Comment

Duh???????????

Turn it in and have a new one issued.....
        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

A lot of the more reputable badge manufacturers do this at minimal or no cost. See if your department will issue a temporary and send yours back to the manufacturer.

Comment

Because each manufacturer has its own proprietary system for plating and cloisonné, most will only work on their own badges and not on a competitor's product. The two companies my agency uses for badges charge just five dollars less to restore a badge than they do to make a brand new one. When you figure out the cost of postage, the time to package and ship the old badge in, and the time to do the necessary paperwork, its cheaper to just to buy a replacement badge.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
              Turn it in and have a new one issued.....
              Not gonna happen, I've already asked the Sheriff and he said it's fine you don't need a new one. I just need to redo the words Deputy Sheriff since the paint is gone there. I guess I'm anal but I like my stuff looking nice, and he said if I want to try and fix it myself go ahead.

Comment

Last edited by Huey County; 08-05-2009, 01:08 AM.
                Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

Originally posted by Huey County View Post
                  I was given a extra badge that is our older style and just used a tooth pick. Turned out great. I also used a wire wheel on my dremel to get the old paint out of the other letters.
                  What kind of paint did you use Huey? Thanks

EDIT: What exactly is a wire wheel? Where do you find em?

Comment

Last edited by Huey County; 08-05-2009, 01:08 AM.
                    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

If you want to do it yourself, think about using enamel paints. Going to a hardware store or model shop will net you just about all you need. A sewing needle or similar will be able to get the old paint out, and a toothpick can be used to put the new paint on.
                      "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                      Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                      Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
                        Not gonna happen, I've already asked the Sheriff and he said it's fine you don't need a new one. I just need to redo the words Deputy Sheriff since the paint is gone there. I guess I'm anal but I like my stuff looking nice, and he said if I want to try and fix it myself go ahead.
                        What a terrible attitude from the head person at your agency! Where's his pride in that symbol we all wear on our chests that represents our profession? He should be embarrassed. How does the rest of his gear look? Does he even wear a uniform?

As for refinishing your badge, if at all possible, I would bring it back to the company that made it and have them do it right. I've done it several times over my 20-year career. It only costs around $30 dollars and it's well worth it to me. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6266 users online. 358 members and 5908 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X