300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotions

Anyone every have any problem controling them?

I know someone that says they find themselves tearing up, or even crying out of control, un provoked. just wondering if he is fudged up. (yes I said FUDGED not the other word).
    Last edited by mpdc; 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM. Reason: type o in the edit section
    Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Well maybe this person is a very emotional individual. Im emotional but I am also a female. LoL Maybe he needs to see the doctor if its a problem to see if there is something that can help. I know that I some times cry for no reason but it has to deal with whats going on in my life. Its not unusual but its not normal either.
    Don't expect other people to make you happy, Happiness is your responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by landrierose View Post
      Well maybe this person is a very emotional individual. Im emotional but I am also a female. LoL Maybe he needs to see the doctor if its a problem to see if there is something that can help. I know that I some times cry for no reason but it has to deal with whats going on in my life. Its not unusual but its not normal either.
      Aye.

he is in fact male.

Doesnt trust those shrinks. Long story.

but thanks for a reply
      Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Comment

Sounds like stress is literally tearing them up.
        I knew people that work out after work in order to decompress. Leaving the work at work when you get off is important, though not always possible.
        Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
        Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

I've always been prone to crying spells, even for almost no reason sometimes. I suspect it to be chemical. But then again, I'm also the definition of "fudged up."
          Last edited by JMTX; 08-01-2008, 12:14 AM.

Comment

This is a classic sign of clinical depression. I suffered from this toward the end of my career and found it was one of the symptoms I had of PTSD.

Once I retired, it was gone in a few weeks. Your "friend" would be helped immensly with one of many good SRI drugs on the market - all he has to do is see his regular doc if he doesn't want to see a shrink - allthough I recommend he should. It really helps.
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I think psych drugs are ok for people with BAD BAD depression...but I wouldn't personally take them. I'm not sure the side effects are worth it.

Comment

Life is too short to be spent "fudged up." I say go to the doc/find a therapist/get a prescription/do something before it gets to be too much. If it's already too much, all the more reason to act expeditiously. I realize that our jobs can seriously mess a person up, and although I haven't been to your friends level of depression/exhaustion/stress, I've experienced my share of problems. Making a specific change and deciding to enjoy the best things about life made a huge difference for me. If somebody else has a problem with a decision to go to a shrink or take a prescription, f 'em. We do what we have to do on the street to survive, why don't we do what we have to in our personal lives?

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...ut-struggling/
                "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by JMTX View Post
                  I think psych drugs are ok for people with BAD BAD depression...but I wouldn't personally take them. I'm not sure the side effects are worth it.
                  You can take antidepressants for a short term (3-6 months) bout of depression. It is almost like antibiotics for an infection. After a couple of months you start weaning off the drugs and you are good to go.

It is kind of like rebooting your brain chemicals.

There are lots of options so you can avoid most side effects.

Talk therapy along with drugs works even better.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Originally posted by mpdc View Post
                    Anyone every have any problem controling them?

I know someone that says they find themselves tearing up, or even crying out of control, un provoked. just wondering if he is fudged up. (yes I said FUDGED not the other word).

Is your friend a police officer? And do you suspect it's job related?
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

http://panicdisorder.about.com/libra...blptsdquiz.htm

http://bipolar.about.com/od/diagnosi...csub_flags.htm

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/depressive/a/red_flags2.htm
                      ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                      Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by mpdc View Post
                        Doesnt trust those shrinks. Long story.
                        Then he needs to shop for one he does trust.

Shorten it for us (25 words or less) what is his trust issue?
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

The friend should talk to a professional, and if he is untrusting of psych docs he can start with his family doc. Sometimes discovering the root of the problem can be enough to help correct it. And there are several alternatives to drug therapy if the basis is stress, like meditation, journaling, exercise and such. Your friend shouldn't be afraid of the meds though, they can be very helpful, some have very few side effects (most if them are slight and usually stop after a week or two), and don't have to be long term.
                          "Only by acceptance of the past can you alter it."
                          – T.S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Elemental View Post
                            The friend should talk to a professional, and if he is untrusting of psych docs he can start with his family doc. Sometimes discovering the root of the problem can be enough to help correct it. And there are several alternatives to drug therapy if the basis is stress, like meditation, journaling, exercise and such. Your friend shouldn't be afraid of the meds though, they can be very helpful, some have very few side effects (most if them are slight and usually stop after a week or two), and don't have to be long term.
                            Or talk to a priest/pastor. Many are trained counselors. And if he is afraid of being "told on" a priest might be better. Much counseling occurs in the confessional and that time is protected.

A minister or psychologist is required by law to contact police if a person threatens to harm themselves or another person. Otherwise nothing that is discussed can be revealed without the patients permission.

IMHO
                            There is no weakness in seeking help. The truly weak man denies he has a problem and refuses to get help. The truly strong man knows his limits and addresses problems before they get out of hand.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Originally posted by MEA0306 View Post
                              Or talk to a priest/pastor. Many are trained counselors. And if he is afraid of being "told on" a priest might be better. Much counseling occurs in the confessional and that time is protected.

A minister or psychologist is required by law to contact police if a person threatens to harm themselves or another person. Otherwise nothing that is discussed can be revealed without the patients permission.
                              Better hold on there for a second....other acts which are subject to disclosure are child abuse, elder abuse, suicidal or homicidal behavior.

Now, thoughts about doing any of those things are not to be disclosed. Acts done, or actively being planned for and carried out will have to be reported. A client may say, "I want to kill (name)" but, for axample, until the client has the gun, the ammo, the dark clothes, the location, the escape route, the date set...there's no reporting it.

Clergy members do have more protected communication, but the ones who also have counseling degrees walk a very fine tightrope, at times. Your mileage may vary.
                              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3261 users online. 208 members and 3053 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X