300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom doesn't want me in LE

Although she has never said it, it's very obvious to me and some of my siblings that my mom doesn't want me to pursue a career as a LEO. I won't go into much detail unless you really want me to, but whenever there is a story in the paper about a cop being in a fight or needing medical attention, she says "do you really want to be a cop?". Also my sister and I think that it has something to do with guns, because my mom is very against my sisters husband having a gun in their house.

Any of you have mom issues like this??

most have a family member of some kind that is against it.
    if you do it..do it for you, and let them get over it themselves.
    have ONE talk and state I understand that:

your scared I can get hurt / killed....insert all and state that this is your choice. I would feel better with your blessing but I don't have to have it to continue.

Yes its Mom..but you have to make the choice to say what you gotta say.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think it is a nearly biological/instinct that parents can't help. I am a police officer with kids. I have a background in the US Army and have been to some of the Army's toughest training and have been deployed to some very unfriendly places.

All that being said, I can honestly say I wouldn't want either one of my kids to do what I have done. I know it isn't fair, and I know that I have no choice, but the truth is that if they wanted to live the life I have lived, it would be difficult for me.

Everyone has to make their own choices. If any of my kids decides to be a cop, or soldier, or anything else that is dangerous...I will just have to live with it. I won't like it, because I don't want anything to happen to them...ever. It is just a built in defense mechanism that parents have for their kids.
      "Freedom's Never Free"

"Go ahead. Skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."

Comment

Any of you have mom issues like this??
        Nope, my mom IS a cop

Comment

I don't want my son to be a cop. Of course, I don't want him to be a jarhead like his daddy, either
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurfette told me that her mother didn't want her to be a police officer, not only that, she then recruited grandma too! .

I made a thread about this somewhere in this forum if you want to check out some of the responses I received.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkis View Post
              Smurfette told me that her mother didn't want her to be a police officer, not only that, she then recruited grandma too! .
              They still don't like it, Sarkis. And it's been a decade! LOL
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

LoL. My mom was/is still angry about it, and its been almost three and a half years. I've wanted to do it since I was little, and for some reason even though she was very controlling this was one thing I never gave in to her wants about. Of course, she isn't all about the "I'm worried about you." She's a freaking hippie and pretty much tells me how "disappointed" she is in me that I would choose a profession that "opresses so many." "We called the 'Pigs' for a reason, you know." Yeah, okay. Lmao. It used to bother me but since my mother and I are not really on good terms (for other reasons, too), I just kinda laugh when she calls, (which is about bi-weekly).

There will always be someone who doesn't want you to do it. As long as it isn't YOU, you should pursue your career to the best of your ability.
                Last edited by Smolla126; 07-22-2008, 07:32 AM.
                Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

Compared to what i've been doing, my mom would LOVE me to be a cop. I met my wife in the Middle East, so she doesn't care about me being a cop either. And with college prices what they are now, i'm gonna encourage my kids to join the military for GI Bill and some 'job experience'.

My mom didn't let me join the Marines (i was 17 & needed a signature), so i joined the Navy and did other fun things their. Sure, we have to lie sometimes to those we love, but it is for the better good. Mom still hates that i'm overseas so much.

i agree with the above - caringly but factually state your goals and stick with your decision. Don't be afraid to change your mind later if you want to, but don't waffle either. Commit, review, adjust if necessary.
                  trainee

Comment

Dude, I'm fairly sure everyone with family that cares about them has had this problem. I used to get that kind of talk from my dad. "Be an engineer like me and your brother, or be a fireman. Don't be a police officer." But eventually, he stopped trying to talk me out of it.

Law enforcement is a dangerous career. Your mom cares about you. My dad cares about me. That's why these people that care about us try to persuade us into going into a different career.

My mom doesn't really try to persuade me from becoming a LEO, but a few days ago, she saw one ambulance while I was driving in my car (just got a license) and automatically considered I was hurt, and had to call and make sure I was fine. This is just a natural instinct that humans have. We care about one another.
                    sigpic

Comment

Dude, I'm fairly sure everyone with family that cares about them has had this problem.
                      I have the opposite problem. My family talked me into being a jailer and I love it now...They still periodically pressure me to become a LEO but I'm simply not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummadude12 View Post
                        I used to get that kind of talk from my dad. "Be an engineer like me and your brother, or be a fireman.
                        So a career as a fireman isn't dangerous?
                        “To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.”

Carlos Castaneda 1925-1998

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. The funny thing is, my older brother is a Marine and she encouraged him to do that.

Comment

I hate it when parents say that don't do this or that...It makes you want to do it more...Go for it, other wise you may regret it...There is a good rebellion and a bad rebellion...Following a dream to become something is a good rebellion...Good luck...
                            sigpic

Comment

My folks are very supportive.

You can't live your life for your mom...especially if it makes you unhappy. Parents have the job of providing the foundation in which YOU decide what to build on it.

Follow your dreams......your mom will always be your mom...you are going to be her little Ben ....even when you are forty.
                              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4226 users online. 239 members and 3987 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X