Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit card question

okay here is the deal.....

My ex fiance and I had some shared credit cards (store cards). When I broke free from the beast I paid off the ones that I had used and even the furniture one that she kept the furniture from, but anyway... Here we are 2 years later and she hasn't paid the other two off yet. Combined it is probably a little over 2 grand worth of debt. She pays the bill every month, but she only pays the minimum. The accounts are closed, so at least the balance can't go up.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get my name off those accounts? Or am I just gonna have to see them on my credit report untill she pays them off.

Just for clarification I did not have any debt on these cards, it is all hers and her parents (yeah, her parents)
    Last edited by Fuzz1028; 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM.
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

just checked by phone, she is still using the cards but making payments on time. On one of them I asked if I could get taken off and she said no because I was the primary, but the authorized user can remove themselves. So she could run that sucker up and take her name off!!!! I will never get a joint account again!

I want to close them, but I am afraid that will just **** her off and she will stop paying. This sucks!
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Comment

The debt belongs to both of you and there is nothing you can do about it. How can she still use the cards if they have been cancelled? If it is still active and you are the primary card holder, why can't you cancel the card?

Comment

Cancel the card, continue checking to make sure she pays it, if she doesn't then you'll have to pay and either 1) take her to civil court or 2) chalk it up to lesson learned. Cancel the d*mn cards, though!
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz1028 View Post
          I want to close them, but I am afraid that will just **** her off and she will stop paying. This sucks!
          Well, your choice IS - cancel them, and you'll have to pay them off if she stops paying. OR - leave them open, let her run them up, and risk paying an even higher debt in the longrun. Just learn, and dont do it again. I had a friend that did it, and it ruined her credit. Do something quickly!

edited to add: if you do close them and she stops paying, i believe you could win money in court from her, but you'd have to decide if the expenses are worth it - and i'm not a lawyer

Comment

Cancel the cards, and remove her name and her permission to charge.

Then, take her to court and get a civil judgement on the balance owed.
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

In my opinion I agree with most on here. I would cancel the cards so she cant use them any more. The problem with leaving them open is that she is keeping them charged to their limit. Even though the payments are made on time it is still negatively affecting your credit score. It is affecting you Debt to Credit ratios which says you are using all or most of your available credit. This will keep your credit score from being as high as it should be.

What everyone should shoot for is a score of 760 to ensure that you get the best rates on credit cards, installment loans and mortgages. The only ways to really do this is pay everything on time, when using your credit cards only charge them to 30% of their limit. (credit card with a 1000 limith should never have a balance more than 300.00). If you have cards that are in your name only and they don't charge you an annual fee and your not using them just leave them open because that increases your open credit. If you have cards that charge you a fee I would close and choose a different card. Also be careful cause you can have too much open credit..any one person should never really have more than 3 cards....and in my opinion you should never have a department store card. you should only have a Visa, MC, Discover or AMEX from a financial institution. Keep in mind, that even though your Walmart credit cards has the VISA logo on it, it is still a department store card. Hope this helps...if you have anything else I can help you with let me know.

Comment

fuzz- as much as it sucks....
                close ever card that your the primary on.
                if you have anythng that shows the dates that you two broke up with, use that as you defense in getting the accounts closed and her to pay.

some women give others a bad name.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

Wait

Call her first on the telephone and record the call. Get her to admit the debt on those cards is HERS and then close the accounts. This way, if she tries to stick you with the debt, you can just replay the tape for the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz1028 View Post
                    okay here is the deal.....

My ex fiance and I had some shared credit cards (store cards). When I broke free from the beast I paid off the ones that I had used and even the furniture one that she kept the furniture from, but anyway... Here we are 2 years later and she hasn't paid the other two off yet. Combined it is probably a little over 2 grand worth of debt. She pays the bill every month, but she only pays the minimum. The accounts are closed, so at least the balance can't go up.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get my name off those accounts? Or am I just gonna have to see them on my credit report untill she pays them off.

Just for clarification I did not have any debt on these cards, it is all hers and her parents (yeah, her parents)
                    If your name is on the account, both of you are responsible. Its no way around it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I am working on it. I wouldn't care about paying them off if the debt was mine, but it surely isn't. For the past 2.5 years (since we split) she has been using these cards, and making the payments. I talked to a lawyer friend who said if it goes to court she will lose for sure. I hope to resolve it without reaching that point.
                      ― Henry Ford

Comment

well I closed them, this could get interesting/.......
                        ― Henry Ford

Comment

When you opened those accounts, when you signed the paperwork, you asked for credit, you asked for access to someone else's money at will.

In return you agreed to honor the debt incurred. It's not the credit card issuers fault that you now feel you shouldn't have to pay the debt because your situation has changed.

Not busting on you in particular, but far too many people look at taking credit cards or home loans without really looking at the long term committment or of reading ALL the fine print.

Even when closing on my homes, there with the lawyers and all present, I took time to read every document before I signed. They sure seemed to be put off by it, but was little they could say. For what it was costing me, I was in no hurry. I made sure I understood exactly what my obligations were, terms, all of it.

Best of luck to you anyway.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

You must not have read through all the posts. I have no problem paying my debts. This debt is not mine, yes we had the account together but there are two seperate cards one that was never used (mine) and one that has been used a lot (hers). I understand that I am technically responsible no matter what becaus it was a joint account. But I would say that after being seperated 2 1/2 years I have a pretty good argument that she shouldn't be using those cards. This is all her debt from her purchases so naturally I don't think I should pay a penny of it.
                            ― Henry Ford

Comment

your right that rightly and fairly you should not be stuck with her debt and her purchases. However. if you two have been broken up that long these cards should be more then closed. (but I see you wanted to be nice and she kept those payments going. that is dangerous)
                              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7268 users online. 339 members and 6929 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X