300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Father's Day!

Hope all you dads have a wonderful day with your kids and family.

You know where I'll be with my dad (his choice). No wise cracks..please. We are all going to the game.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

I don't know anything about baseball... but I know the A's are going to lose.

Comment

Father's Day without Dad From my blog and column.

(Thought some others might be able to relate...)

This is my first father’s day without a father. We lost him last winter—just a week before my birthday. He was 85. He was my only true hero.

Not to make your day into a downer, I only say this to say some things I wish I had said, or said more of or said in person. While mine is not here to read this, I pray your dad is alive, well and indeed, is your hero, as mine was to me. If some of these things sound familiar, I urge you—beg you—to say them out loud and straight into your dad’s face, while you can.

Hey Dad. I wish I had said thank you, more often or, in some cases at all, for a few things I took for granted as a child. Before I was even in the plan, you were a real life hero; saving the world in Guadalcanal, Fiji, the Tonga Islands and other places, so far away from home. You were so brave. You were 20. You were a child. You were a man.

I want to thank you for creating me—for contributing your genes and family tree, to the life I eventually inherited. A life I have loved and from which I have drawn deep joy.

Then, (and I have pictures to prove it), you held me in your arms, bathed me, diapered me, rocked me and seemed to enjoy having me as your son. I have no memory of this, but Mom says it was so. Somehow, deep inside, I think it made a difference in the man and father I became.

You taught me honesty and how a man’s value is measured. You gave me a moral compass and admonished me to always go north—upward—onward—forward—straight. To let my heart guide my intentions and to let my mind, guide my actions. To be gentle and respectful to women. This, taught not by words but in life—in how you always treated mom with the class and honor she deserved.

You took me camping and taught me to value and protect nature. Taught me to catch fish, but to release them unless I was truly hungry, so that others could enjoy the big ones! To shoot straight and true, to love my country and to laugh loud and often and the ridiculous things people do and say. Thanks.

For playing catch; for letting me try a sip of your beer; for showing me how to build things; for teaching me how to drive; for always being impressed with me; for always making me laugh when I didn’t think I could. And for teaching me how to do world-class armpit farts.

Thanks, Dad, for the extra twenty bucks you always slipped me when I had a hot date in high school and for the greatest cheeseburgers in the world. Once, when we were out of food, you turned me on to stale bread cereal. It was delicious. I had no idea it was all there was.

You were a cop, in a very dangerous city at a very dangerous time and you made very little money. Yet somehow, Christmas and birthdays were very, very special. You worked exclusively on night shift, but you still found time for my brother and me, before we went to bed and you went to work. Thank you, for laughing at our worries of you being hurt or killed. You made those fears dissolve, with your huge laugh. You always had a joke about some dirt bag you arrested who did something really stupid. We never knew how scared you really were at times. Thanks for hiding it.

Thanks for the years I had you, Dad. For your timeless advice, your stock of priceless wisdom and your 85 years of good and wholesome influence on me. You were a giant, peaceful, honorable man. Never a headline was printed about you, but you were famous and revered and magnificent. A real role model. The real thing. You tanned my butt when I needed it and hugged me with your whiskered face, when I needed that, which thankfully, was far more often. I can still feel it. All of it.

I miss you, Dad. Without qualification and without reservation, I loved you. And Lord how I know—especially now—how much you loved me.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad. Sorry for all those dumb cards. Say hello to God. I will see you again and we will share a beer.

Or two.
      Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 06-15-2007, 04:02 PM.
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Fathers Day Without Dad

Whoops. Duplicated.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
          I don't know anything about baseball... but I know the A's are going to lose.
          Well we've been winning so far even with half of our team on the DL.
          "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
            Father's Day without Dad From my blog and column.

(Thought some others might be able to relate...)

This is my first father’s day without a father. We lost him last winter—just a week before my birthday. He was 85. He was my only true hero.

Not to make your day into a downer, I only say this to say some things I wish I had said, or said more of or said in person. While mine is not here to read this, I pray your dad is alive, well and indeed, is your hero, as mine was to me. If some of these things sound familiar, I urge you—beg you—to say them out loud and straight into your dad’s face, while you can.

Hey Dad. I wish I had said thank you, more often or, in some cases at all, for a few things I took for granted as a child. Before I was even in the plan, you were a real life hero; saving the world in Guadalcanal, Fiji, the Tonga Islands and other places, so far away from home. You were so brave. You were 20. You were a child. You were a man.

I want to thank you for creating me—for contributing your genes and family tree, to the life I eventually inherited. A life I have loved and from which I have drawn deep joy.

Then, (and I have pictures to prove it), you held me in your arms, bathed me, diapered me, rocked me and seemed to enjoy having me as your son. I have no memory of this, but Mom says it was so. Somehow, deep inside, I think it made a difference in the man and father I became.

You taught me honesty and how a man’s value is measured. You gave me a moral compass and admonished me to always go north—upward—onward—forward—straight. To let my heart guide my intentions and to let my mind, guide my actions. To be gentle and respectful to women. This, taught not by words but in life—in how you always treated mom with the class and honor she deserved.

You took me camping and taught me to value and protect nature. Taught me to catch fish, but to release them unless I was truly hungry, so that others could enjoy the big ones! To shoot straight and true, to love my country and to laugh loud and often and the ridiculous things people do and say. Thanks.

For playing catch; for letting me try a sip of your beer; for showing me how to build things; for teaching me how to drive; for always being impressed with me; for always making me laugh when I didn’t think I could. And for teaching me how to do world-class armpit farts.

Thanks, Dad, for the extra twenty bucks you always slipped me when I had a hot date in high school and for the greatest cheeseburgers in the world. Once, when we were out of food, you turned me on to stale bread cereal. It was delicious. I had no idea it was all there was.

You were a cop, in a very dangerous city at a very dangerous time and you made very little money. Yet somehow, Christmas and birthdays were very, very special. You worked exclusively on night shift, but you still found time for my brother and me, before we went to bed and you went to work. Thank you, for laughing at our worries of you being hurt or killed. You made those fears dissolve, with your huge laugh. You always had a joke about some dirt bag you arrested who did something really stupid. We never knew how scared you really were at times. Thanks for hiding it.

Thanks for the years I had you, Dad. For your timeless advice, your stock of priceless wisdom and your 85 years of good and wholesome influence on me. You were a giant, peaceful, honorable man. Never a headline was printed about you, but you were famous and revered and magnificent. A real role model. The real thing. You tanned my butt when I needed it and hugged me with your whiskered face, when I needed that, which thankfully, was far more often. I can still feel it. All of it.

I miss you, Dad. Without qualification and without reservation, I loved you. And Lord how I know—especially now—how much you loved me.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad. Sorry for all those dumb cards. Say hello to God. I will see you again and we will share a beer.

Or two.
            Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

Happy father's day to all O.com dads!

Dada...

Comment

Happy Father's Day to all...
                We are responsible for what we do unless we are celebrities......

Comment

*Happy Father's Day*

Comment

Going to take my son to see our Cardinals play on monday. Awesome. What a fantastic fathers day. Spending it with my son at Busch Stadium. Can't wait!

Happy fathers day to all my brothers.
                    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                      Going to take my son to see our Cardinals play on monday. Awesome. What a fantastic fathers day. Spending it with my son at Busch Stadium. Can't wait!

Happy fathers day to all my brothers.
                      The A's are playing the Cardinals today for Father's Day. OMG you guys totally beat us (15-6)!

We are going to even the score today! Go A's!

Comment

Celebrated it yesterday as I am working today.

1042..thanks for that. Mine passed away in 1994 when I was 24yo. I miss him everyday so much so that I still to this day have a difficult time talking about it with anyone without tearing up.

Thanks pops and after work I am going to stop somewhere on the way home and drink a brew for you
                        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I thought about you as I was listening to the game. I figured I better not rub it in because there is always payback!

I am surrounded by cubs fans and the grief they give me is unreal. I could understand it if the cubbies knew how to play baseball! I ask them when the last time they saw a World Series ballcap that also had the word cubs on it and that usually shuts them up.
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

i woke up and got into the car to go to work and found my favorite food group taped up everywhere... reese's peanut butter cups... a whole 20 minutes worth (approximately 10) YAY!

*Happy Fathers Day* everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                              I thought about you as I was listening to the game. I figured I better not rub it in because there is always payback!

I am surrounded by cubs fans and the grief they give me is unreal. I could understand it if the cubbies knew how to play baseball! I ask them when the last time they saw a World Series ballcap that also had the word cubs on it and that usually shuts them up.

It is a good thing you didn't mention it even thought we are losing right now. We left because my dad was getting tired.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3216 users online. 165 members and 3051 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X