300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Brother

My brother is a police officer, and was just hired into his department's juvenile investigative division. Can you guys think of a good gift to give him as a 'hey congrats on the new job'? I am trying to think of something that would be useful for him in his new endeavor, but I'm clueless. Thanks!
    "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Extra-small handcuffs?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
      Extra-small handcuffs?
      Heeeey... you stole my answer! No fair!!! Oh, oops sorry I've been dealing with a 3 and 5 year old.

Seriously though, maybe get him a gift certificate to his favorite shoe store? Some kind of nice leather notebook holder if you know what style he uses. Get him a little portable ice chest that plugs in the cigarette lighter to keep drinks cold when he is out driving around? I know those are lame, but if I come up with anything better I'll post it after work.
      R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
      I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Extra-small handcuffs?
        Ba-dum tssshhhhh....thanks willowdared And no katzeyez your suggestions aren't lame, I appreciate them. Keep 'em coming guys and gals, I need all the help I can get!

Comment

Tums and Preperation H.
          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

On a serious note....and if your brother is a reader....a couple books I recommend.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon

This is a novel written from the viewpoint of an autistic boy. As someone who spent several years working in Special Ed, and as a one-on-one aide with an autistic child, it is offers incredible insight into a differently wired person.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Another novel, this one from the viewpoint of a girl who is raped and murdered by a pedophile. She watches how her death impacts on her family. There are some interesting plot twists, and an ending that is incredible.

You may wonder why I recommend these to a cop? It's because I think they both give voices to those who cannot speak for themselves. It's a peek into the world as seen by a victim, and by a child locked in his own world.

By working with children, your brother will be seeing not just the worst that children can do, but often the worst that can be done to children. There may be days where going to work will take every ounce of fortitude he has, but every day he can make a difference in the life of a child.
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

On a serious note....and if your brother is a reader....a couple books I recommend.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon

This is a novel written from the viewpoint of an autistic boy. As someone who spent several years working in Special Ed, and as a one-on-one aide with an autistic child, it is offers incredible insight into a differently wired person.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Another novel, this one from the viewpoint of a girl who is raped and murdered by a pedophile. She watches how her death impacts on her family. There are some interesting plot twists, and an ending that is incredible.

You may wonder why I recommend these to a cop? It's because I think they both give voices to those who cannot speak for themselves. It's a peek into the world as seen by a victim, and by a child locked in his own world.

By working with children, your brother will be seeing not just the worst that children can do, but often the worst that can be done to children. There may be days where going to work will take every ounce of fortitude he has, but every day he can make a difference in the life of a child.
              What a great suggestion, thanks. I have actually read both of those books. The Lovely Bones is one of my favorites, it really stuck with me. I never even thought of that as an idea.

Comment

Chuckie Cheese gift certifcates
                Leave Space Empty

Comment

How about a nice personally engraved pen?

Comment

Originally posted by Sully49 View Post
                    My brother is a police officer, and was just hired into his department's juvenile investigative division. Can you guys think of a good gift to give him as a 'hey congrats on the new job'? I am trying to think of something that would be useful for him in his new endeavor, but I'm clueless. Thanks!
                    Does he like baseball like you? If he does take him to a baseball game.
                    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                    Not Yet Visited: 16
                    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Stock in motrin. Oy vey, dealing with all them kids....
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Desatin and Pampers. Maybe some Johnson's baby shampoo??
                        Last edited by TX_DTO_77; 06-24-2007, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe View Post
                          Does he like baseball like you? If he does take him to a baseball game.

I would LOVE TO, but it is impossible to get red sox tix right now. Unless I feel like paying triple face value and I'm just not that rich. I actually went with willowdared's suggestion and got him that book 'the lovely bones' since it deals with a crime against a 14 year old and it's written from her perspective. But thanks to those of you who gave me some good suggestions! I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_DTO_77 View Post
                            Desatin and Papmers. Maybe some Johnson's baby shampoo??
                            I read that completely wrong... and way too fast. I thought you said "Desatin and papsmears." Yikes! Glad I read it again.

*Guams eats his hand.
                            sigpic

Comment

Extra-small handcuffs?
                              I know you were kidding, but here's a real tale about kids and handcuffs that happened this week in my county.

A mom bought her son a pair of real handcuffs from a police supply store. I don't know how old he was, maybe 9 or 10.

He put both cuffs on the same arm, close together with the keyholes facing each other. Couldn't be unlocked.

Anyway, they had to take him to a machine shop to get the cuffs off.

Not relevant, but interesting.

As to the original question, get him a nice leather notepad with a calculator, or a Blackberry or something like that.
                              "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5276 users online. 304 members and 4972 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X