300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking outside the box?

Hello everyone I am currently in the process to becoming a LEO and I have visited this site several times and I have seen a lot of very helpful info so thanks. Here is my question I have heard the phrase "think outside the box" used several times, but have never really read what people do outside the box. So please share some of the ways families have thought outside the box to help others in their relationships.

It has something to do with eating tacos, maybe?

With regards to the family, I have no idea what it means.

tacos sound really good. its been a year since I have had a taco bell taco. I cant wait to eat a taco supreme.

What were we talking about?
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

An example could be something like, the officer has to work holidays so the family celebrates Christmas NOT on Dec. 24 or 25, but on, say Dec. 28. Which actually is not all THAT far outside the box, but you get the idea, I hope. It means, if the "regular" way of doing something doesn't work for you, find an irregular way that will, and make that YOUR family's way of doing.
      We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
      but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

How'd I get in this box and what's with the tacos?
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Everytime I try and think outside the box I end up breaking the box.
          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Cri-mon-ee - now I'm hungry! Thanks, Irish. Except, maybe some nachos instead. We'll see....

As to the box, it means explore options you weren't taught already. Explore procedures not already outlined. Improvise, overcome, adapt.

Semper Fi!
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
              An example could be something like, the officer has to work holidays so the family celebrates Christmas NOT on Dec. 24 or 25, but on, say Dec. 28. Which actually is not all THAT far outside the box, but you get the idea, I hope. It means, if the "regular" way of doing something doesn't work for you, find an irregular way that will, and make that YOUR family's way of doing.
              You nailed it, Padre! Good job!

We used to do Christmas, birthdays, Thanksgiving, Easter - all of it - whenever my shifts and days off allowed for it.

My kids never knew the difference until they were older and then, they still liked doing it that way.
              The All New
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Think Outside the Box

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                Everytime I try and think outside the box I end up breaking the box.
                Man, Roger that!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                  You nailed it, Padre! Good job!
                  Thank you, Trooper-- but I suppose I should mention that I am a Madre, not a Padre.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
                    Thank you, Trooper-- but I suppose I should mention that I am a Madre, not a Padre.

OOPS....
                    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

YIKES!

So sorry, Madre! And remember....

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you."
                      Ephesians, 4:32.

The All New
                      - M1Garand

Comment

LOL

An understandable mistake-- we all look alike in those flowing white robes!

I forgive you, my son!

Comment

I suppose thinking outside the box means what many have said. Just because the calendar says it's Dec. 25th doesn't necessarily mean Christmas gets celebrated on that day. My children and I are very flexible with daddy's work schedule. Sometimes it's the extended family who doesn't get it. For example, "well can't he just take off Thanksgiving day?".
                          Thinking outside the box means he gets up early several days a week to cook bacon and eggs for breakfast since he will miss dinner. He sits down and talks to the girls about what's going on in their life even though he would love to be back in bed. In the summer, our big family meal is lunch since he won't be here for dinner. Accomodating each member of the family and finding a way to make it work is I think what it means. And this is not an easy task, when you have a husband on 2nds and 2 kids actively involved in everything under the sun. But the most important thing is our family so it's a priority to make it work and we're committed to it.

Comment

Some other tips:
                            For the spouses of a LEO-
                            Don't make your spouse feel guilty for missing that birthday party for Aunt Birdie or the funeral for Uncle Fred because they had to work.

Don't brag about how you SINGLE handedly pulled off the birthday party for your three year old daughter and how WONDERFUL of a time EVERYONE had.

Do try to video tape events or at least take lots of pictures to show your spouse when they have a shift off. Then when you show them try not to gush too much about how cute Suzie looked in her frilly little dress.

Tell your spouse everyday before they leave that you love them, even if you're mad at them, that way if something happens you won't live with that regret the rest of your life.

Check in advance to find out if your spouse wants to go Cousins Billy's wedding on his one of his only shifts off that week BEFORE accepting any invitations. It will save arguments later on down the line.

If you are hosting some sort of get together at your house, don't do it when your spouse has to sleep.

If your spouse has a weird shift try to mindful of things like: The kids screaming and running up and down the hall, the dogs barking, the telephone ringing and the volume of the television or stereo while your spouse is asleep.

If your spouse has to work on: Super Bowl Sunday, The Indy 500, The Kentucky Derby or whatever gets them off, offer to record or Tivo it for them.

Crock pot cooking is marvelous. It will allow you to keep a roast, sloppy joes, homemade stew, chili, or pulled pork filling waiting for an extra 3 hours without drying it out.

For the LEO's-
                            Bring home an occasional "surprise" gift for your spouse. A single rose bud, a bottle of their favorite drink, the new book that just came out by their favorite author, the new issue of Guns & Ammo or some other thing that costs less than 20 bucks but will pay in dividends later.

If you have to miss bedtime and it is at all possible, call up to tell the kids goodnight.

Call your spouse and tell them good night/good morning once in a while.

If your coming in off of a late night shift, stop at the bakery and get some coffe cake (or donuts, muffins, danish, etc.) and bag of her favorite coffee beans (or grounds) for breakfast that morning.

If you do have to work during an important family function try to at least call and talk to the celebrant(s) and offer your congratulations, happy birthday, best wishes, or what ever.

Remember to let them know how much you appreciate the little things: a clean house, raising the kids, walking the dog, keeping the house quiet so you can get a good night sleep after a particularly long shift, etc.

You know what your spouse can or can't handle. If your spouse will freak out about some guy who was high on meth swinging a golf club at your head, don't feel the need to share that with them. However if they are the unflappable type it's okay to let them know how hard it was on you when you responded to that call about the four abused kids living in abysmal conditions.

For either-
                            Leave your spouse a little I love you note on the bathroom mirror, refrigerator door, coffee pot, pillow or wherever they are most likely to see it when they get home from work, before bed or when they wake up.

Cherish the time that you have together. You never know how long that time will last.

Does that help?
                            R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                            I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
                              Some other tips:
                              For the spouses of a LEO-
                              Don't make your spouse feel guilty for missing that birthday party for Aunt Birdie or the funeral for Uncle Fred because they had to work.

Don't brag about how you SINGLE handedly pulled off the birthday party for your three year old daughter and how WONDERFUL of a time EVERYONE had.

Do try to video tape events or at least take lots of pictures to show your spouse when they have a shift off. Then when you show them try not to gush too much about how cute Suzie looked in her frilly little dress.

Tell your spouse everyday before they leave that you love them, even if you're mad at them, that way if something happens you won't live with that regret the rest of your life.

Check in advance to find out if your spouse wants to go Cousins Billy's wedding on his one of his only shifts off that week BEFORE accepting any invitations. It will save arguments later on down the line.

If you are hosting some sort of get together at your house, don't do it when your spouse has to sleep.

If your spouse has a weird shift try to mindful of things like: The kids screaming and running up and down the hall, the dogs barking, the telephone ringing and the volume of the television or stereo while your spouse is asleep.

If your spouse has to work on: Super Bowl Sunday, The Indy 500, The Kentucky Derby or whatever gets them off, offer to record or Tivo it for them.

Crock pot cooking is marvelous. It will allow you to keep a roast, sloppy joes, homemade stew, chili, or pulled pork filling waiting for an extra 3 hours without drying it out.

For the LEO's-
                              Bring home an occasional "surprise" gift for your spouse. A single rose bud, a bottle of their favorite drink, the new book that just came out by their favorite author, the new issue of Guns & Ammo or some other thing that costs less than 20 bucks but will pay in dividends later.

If you have to miss bedtime and it is at all possible, call up to tell the kids goodnight.

Call your spouse and tell them good night/good morning once in a while.

If your coming in off of a late night shift, stop at the bakery and get some coffe cake (or donuts, muffins, danish, etc.) and bag of her favorite coffee beans (or grounds) for breakfast that morning.

If you do have to work during an important family function try to at least call and talk to the celebrant(s) and offer your congratulations, happy birthday, best wishes, or what ever.

Remember to let them know how much you appreciate the little things: a clean house, raising the kids, walking the dog, keeping the house quiet so you can get a good night sleep after a particularly long shift, etc.

You know what your spouse can or can't handle. If your spouse will freak out about some guy who was high on meth swinging a golf club at your head, don't feel the need to share that with them. However if they are the unflappable type it's okay to let them know how hard it was on you when you responded to that call about the four abused kids living in abysmal conditions.

For either-
                              Leave your spouse a little I love you note on the bathroom mirror, refrigerator door, coffee pot, pillow or wherever they are most likely to see it when they get home from work, before bed or when they wake up.

Cherish the time that you have together. You never know how long that time will last.

Does that help?

WOW...I am going to recommend and request this be a sticky somewhere on this site. This is quite possibly the best thing I have EVER seen written on this site and honestly for me to say that is alot.

Great job..u have me speechless on this one
                              Leave Space Empty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5437 users online. 330 members and 5107 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X