300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet injured on a Saturday morning

Not two minutes since arriving at the dog park, my pet greyhound was attacked by another dog. I've been going there since the park opened 3 months ago, haven't had any problems. Greyhounds in the Cali are not common, I adopted this rescue all the way from an Oklahoma breeder/racer.

My dog is happy to just run for a few minutes. He does not bark, nor attack any person or dog.

I didn't see the attack. I was getting a poop bag. There was no time to question anyone after I saw his neck. And not one of the other owners fessed up. I asked for help to carry him to the car and someone offered paper towels since I was putting pressure on the wound with my hand and drove to the vet.

Now I have a dog with a neck laceration a mile long, with stitches, staples and a temporary drain...this happened at 09:15. He's under pain meds and antibiotics for the next 14 days. He's walking around but I dread the next days, I have to observe for swelling, loss of apetite and vomiting. [email protected]#$%

What a way to start a weekend, my poor best bud. I wish I saw the dog who did it.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/jbean/pics/DSCF0020.JPG
    Last edited by JBean; 05-12-2007, 06:26 PM. Reason: image link

OMG that is horrible!! I cant believe no one gave any information. God forbid that someone "snitch." Oh God... life... People make me SICK.

I am so sorry that happened. My niece rescued a Greyhound and its the sweetest, gentlest, biggest baby. It wouldnt hurt a fly, and just wants to be beside her all the time.

I hope your baby is well soon.

Comment

only a ******bag would not fess up to it

unreal
      Leave Space Empty

Comment

Ditto^^^. We spend enormous amounts of time with our pets. All they ask for is our love and affection and some attention and then this has to happen. Especially to a pet from a rescue organization. I hope your friend heals soon and without anymore problems.
        www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
        In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Unfortunate for your doggie.

Dog parks are often frequented by unresponsible dog owners and aggressive dogs.

Don't know where your dog park is located but the San Leandro Marina- Oyster Point is a huge off leash park. Dogs can run forever. It is a great place but the key is to ALWAYS have your dog within eyesight where ever you are.

Couldn't find the article, but the other day, an elderly lady was walking her mini dog off leash when it was attacked by two other dogs. The lady only heard her dog yelping and then couldn't find it. The owner of the two dogs became defensive and hostile toward the lady when she asked to look under his long coat. Almost to the point of threatening her physically...if she continued pursuing the matter. She never found her dog.

As much as your dog loves to run off leash...you owe it to him/her to keep em safe. Plus it makes it easier for you to id the dog who bites.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

How sad. Im so sorry for both you and your bud. That just sucks

May the dog that did it have something happen to it too. what goes around....

Keep us posted. ANd keep loving you buddy.
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Guess it works both ways for humans and dogs....apparently a 90 something year old person was attacked and punched over twenty times in the face while a group of other men watched the attack happen...no one helped.

Sorry about your pup bro...watched my dog get attacked by another one of my own dogs and stepped between the two and I got bitten as well.

Hoping for a speedy and good recovery on your animal
              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of this! I have a rescued greyhound, too-- this is my third-- and they are indeed sweet dogs. Here's a challenge about them, though-- they are so fast, can be going 40 miles an hour with just a few steps, which means once they start you can't get them back. There is a lot of trouble out there-- neighbors pets and squirrels on the other side of the street, and so forth. We don't ever let ours off the leash except in an enclosed area or up at our cottage, which is on an island with no cars and no other pets.

It is horrid that no one would take responsibility or say what they saw. Cowardly. That makes it all the worse. If you go back there, with your dog bandaged up and on the leash, I wonder if anyone will say anything to you quietly then?

I hope your grey heals up quickly, with no complications.

(And deputyx2, what a TERRIBLE story about that old lady's little dog!!!!)
                We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Thanks. I received a couple of emails from greyhound owners and it looks like majority avoid dog parks because of the dog's gentle nature and their speed attracts the more aggressive dogs to pursue. He truly is a beautiful animal to see when he takes off 0-40 mph in an enclosed area. I never take him off -leash otherwise.
                  Last edited by JBean; 05-14-2007, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how fast they are in a small space, and how agile? We have a pen, about 30 X 40 feet, and I can't believe how fast our guy gets going there!

How's yours doing today?
                    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
                      Isn't it amazing how fast they are in a small space, and how agile? We have a pen, about 30 X 40 feet, and I can't believe how fast our guy gets going there!

How's yours doing today?
                      The drain was removed today without problems. There was no swelling, he still has his apetite and he's using my little hallway as a race track. I have to stop him from playing too much since the wounds are only 3 days old. So far he's holding up...what a trooper. I'm keeping an eye on him still.

Comment

Don't wish, watch. Don't count on Karma to take care of Axxholes, get a bud to go to the dog park. He or she should sit and sip and listen. Some body will talk about it and produce a lead.

Comment

Originally posted by JBean View Post
                          The drain was removed today without problems. There was no swelling, he still has his apetite and he's using my little hallway as a race track. I have to stop him from playing too much since the wounds are only 3 days old. So far he's holding up...what a trooper. I'm keeping an eye on him still.
                          I'd hate to see your vet bill! This is why I am deathly afraid to take my dog to a dog park. Too many stories like this one.
                          "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

Thanks for the info about your Greyhound and it's experience. We have one too and a Puli. My wife and I have talked about taking them to a dog park, just to see the Greyhound run, but your experience convinced me we're probably better off keeping her on leash. I'm glad to hear your's is recovering nicely.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I LOVE those Puli dogs!!

Glad to hear your baby is doing better, JBean!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2555 users online. 134 members and 2421 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X