300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating

For those of you who have relocated. How did you deal with it in terms of time frames, selling your house, the academy ect...

I am married with 3 kids and going through the application process out of state. I own a home where I live and was wondering how others dealt with relocating.

A more specific question would be for depts. that have their own academy. Did you go through the academy and then move or did you try and get everything done, ie.. house sold, find a new house, before you started the academy ?

I am thinking if I do get hired on somewhere that I may go there and rent an apt while in the academy and deal with the logitics of selling the home and looking for new one while in the academy. For those with experience in this, would that be a good idea ?

If not, how did you handle that situation ?

Relocating.

Wow!! From your post, I gather that you haven't been hired yet. Any re location is going to be a little traumatic. Some are easier than others, but there are a whole lot of potential problems. This is especially true when you have a family. Unless you absolutely have to relocate to the area you hope to be hired in, I think I would at least wait untill I had the offer of a job. Any Academy is going to require your 100% effort. This is true whether or not you attend a live in -boot camp type academy, or attend one at a local college. Worrying about selling your home,negotiating with potential buyers, realtors, etc, can be time consuming and frustrating. So can the actual move itself. Where are you going to live when you get to the new city? Rent an apartment? Rent a house? Buy? All the while trying to get established with your new department. These factors can all be especially difficult. Why don't you see how far you get into the hiring process before making a major move? What's the law enforcement situation where you're currently living? Not saying re-location can't work, or end up being a good deal. Just give it some consideration before doing it.

Comment

Phillip, I think you have misunderstood my question. Of course I would never move before getting a job. I was just asking if anyone has relocated with a similar situation as me, kids, house ect... I wanted to see how others have dealt with it. This is at least a year away, as I am currently starting the application process.

My military past comes into play with me a lot. I love to recon a stiation before I get to it. Thats the purpose for the question. Sorry if I am getting ahead of myself. I like to be prepared.

Comment

stiation <<< that was supposed to be situation. OOOPS

Comment

Originally posted by mcurry5 View Post
          Phillip, I think you have misunderstood my question. Of course I would never move before getting a job. I was just asking if anyone has relocated with a similar situation as me, kids, house ect... I wanted to see how others have dealt with it. This is at least a year away, as I am currently starting the application process.

My military past comes into play with me a lot. I love to recon a stiation before I get to it. Thats the purpose for the question. Sorry if I am getting ahead of myself. I like to be prepared.
          Greetings Mac, Yah, I guess I did misread your post. With a year to go you can do plenty of research, probably a lot of it on line. In my experience, a move was never easy, one or two, just less of a hassle than the other. You're correct though, doing a little recon never hurts. Hope everything works out for you and your family.

Comment

Has anyone else gone through this ? What approach did you take ? How are the depts. at helping you relocate ? Or do they leave that all up to you ?

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4854 users online. 263 members and 4591 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X