Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some departments are small and don’t have any options for light duty.
    Doesn't matter. Human factors aside, no department is accepting the liability of putting a known pregnant officer on the street. If she was the ONLY officer they'd find coverage.

You work in a large agency where people can take time off all the time and it doesn't affect staffing.
    Until recently my department had 8 officers including the Chief and CSO/ ACO. 4/8 were female.

Now we have four officers plus a chief who doesn't stand watch... 1/4 are female.

If she has to go out we'll make it work.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-12-2019, 11:58 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying but guys can be out for 9 months as well. I've torn my ACL and meniscus in a foot pursuit and was out about that long so it can happen to anyone. But I've never been in a small agency and had to work OT for the reason we are talking about here. Maybe if I was I'd be singing a different tune.
      There is some difference between an injury on the job (workers compensation) and a pregnancy, which in modern America is a completely optional condition entered into only by those who wish to participate.

I have been in the position of having to fill vacant shifts for others. I have been the supervisor pulling shifts for those who needed time off. I have been the boss who worked shifts so my people got their scheduled vacations. More than once I have had to work 7 days per week for months on end, just to meet minimum staffing needs.

I remember one situation in which I made two felony arrests, transported and booked both suspects, while I was on crutches with my leg in an immobilizing cast. I don't recommend it as standard practice, but sometimes things just have to get done and there is no one else to make it happen.

One more time, just to let it sink into the brain cells: over half of all law enforcement agencies in the United States do not have sufficient manpower to provide on-duty response 24 hours per day. What might be workable for a major metro department is one thing, but what works for a small department with minimal staffing and budget is something else entirely. Applying the same standards to all agencies is impossible.

Reality is reality. Rhetoric and political correctness are different critters.
      Last edited by retired1995; 11-12-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I attended liability class for supervisors last year which was taught by a lawyer. This subject was brought up in the class. Basically some of the responses here can be classified as sex discrimination.
        ​​​​​Some in the class said the same as y'all and was surprised at what the lawyer said. FWIW the lawyer was a retired LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          You would be.

Here is a very current article about a small agency in the upper Midwest. I can guarantee that every member of the agency would go through hell and back for the boss and their co-workers.

THIS is a fact of life for the majority of agencies in the country

They MAKE it work

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/inside...GZdcRGP2zrqWK8
          Until the baby dies.

Comment

A female officer's pregnancy shouldn't be treated any differently than a male officer's on the job injury. Yes, one was a choice and the other wasn't but when a male officer wants to start his family he isn't criticized for his choice because he doesn't carry the child. There's a reason we have the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) now because there were so many agencies firing women because they became pregnant. That is no different than firing a male officer because he got injured. Yes, being short staffed sucks but no one would be angry at an officer who was out for 9 months due to a gun fire injury. Policing has evolved and there are more capable female officers in the job now more than ever. They shouldn't be punished for wanting to pursue both their careers and motherhood. Just my two cents.

Comment

• L-1
              L-1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think she's had the baby by now and her question is moot. Good necropost.

• MHenry_FWC
              MHenry_FWC commented
              Editing a comment
              Still a topic of discussion obviously because there still isn’t standard protocol or fair treatment for pregnant female officers across agencies.

Originally posted by MHenry_FWC View Post
            A female officer's pregnancy shouldn't be treated any differently than a male officer's on the job injury. Yes, one was a choice and the other wasn't but when a male officer wants to start his family he isn't criticized for his choice because he doesn't carry the child. There's a reason we have the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) now because there were so many agencies firing women because they became pregnant. That is no different than firing a male officer because he got injured. Yes, being short staffed sucks but no one would be angry at an officer who was out for 9 months due to a gun fire injury. Policing has evolved and there are more capable female officers in the job now more than ever. They shouldn't be punished for wanting to pursue both their careers and motherhood. Just my two cents.
            What's with the necropost?

And paragraphs, chica...paragraphs...
            Last edited by Aidokea; 08-01-2021, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              So you're a rookie.

I have no idea what you mean by "anger"- we're just giving it to you straight.

I have never impregnated a co-worker, and I suspect that CCCSD was smart enough not to do that either, so I have no idea where you're going with that.

Again, CCCSD and I have successfully completed our law enforcement careers- learn your place.

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Your idea that a pregnancy is the same as an injury, couldn't be more wrong- I was retired by an injury in the line of duty, and I can tell you from experience, that the act of becoming a parent was at the opposite end of the fun scale.
              Last edited by Aidokea; 08-01-2021, 12:38 AM.

• MHenry_FWC
              MHenry_FWC commented
              Editing a comment
              I never once compared pregnancy to an injury experience wise or how much “fun” either one is. Obviously they are very different on that level, and of course having a child is very different than having a major injury. You took that completely out of context to try to match your take.

I’m sorry you got injured, it’s never a fun place to be. I’ve battled through multiple ACL tears and rehabs (obviously prior to law enforcement so not on duty but understand the rehab, frustration and time that goes into getting back on your feet).

Congrats on your career, I think having 20 to 30 years under your belt certainly makes a cop street wise and means they have a lot of information to share.

But I also don’t think that automatically makes a rookie’s opinion or POV on a subject matter invalidated. You can’t just denounce someone bc they don’t have the experience you do. Everyone retires at some point, that’s why it’s important you welcome new generations of cops and help train them to be the best they can be. Not saying go easy on them, but don’t be a flat out a** either like some trainers/older cops can be.

• MHenry_FWC
              MHenry_FWC commented
              Editing a comment
              And obviously I didn’t mean impregnate your coworkers. That would be creepy, weird and wrong on so many levels unless that coworker is your wife.

I just was saying if you work with a woman and she were to have a child with her husband, that the courteous and kind thing to do is wish her the best during her pregnancy.
              Last edited by MHenry_FWC; 08-31-2021, 08:12 AM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5059 users online. 300 members and 4759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X