NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Family member offered a job and has NEVER had an interest in LEO am i crazy: venting

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wi law
    WILAW
    • Aug 2016

Family member offered a job and has NEVER had an interest in LEO am i crazy: venting

I have not written in a while because with a family of twins my off-time is usually devoted to
    family-time, but I need some advice. Family member A has been in the medical field for around 15 years. He hasn't been able to get hired on full-time fire dept, but has worked in a paramedic company, teaching, military medical contracts and forest fire protection. Unfortunately none have had benefits. Even out of his own admittance he applied for a PD "just because" for the thought of benefits, and has never voiced an interest in LE let alone ever interviewed with a dept. With literally not day of security or LE experience HOLY CRAP he was offered a position pending background. keep in mind he is 38. Now will be required to sell his house, move to another state , put both his kids in new schools, require his wife to leave her job all for a job that he doesn't know he will like (admitted by him) still has to pass the academy and an FTO program AND! with intentions of still applying at fire departments since that has been his "dream job" for the last 15 years. am I missing something? also in respect to the dept. who would hire someone with such background, and some may argue lack of.
  • CCCSD
    Shadowman
    • Jul 2014

You could mention his dream job to his BI.

Yes. It’s common to hire with no LE experience. He DOES have quite a bit of work experience, even per you. His call though.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
      Townie Soprano
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by wi law
      I have not written in a while because with a family of twins my off-time is usually devoted to
      family-time, but I need some advice. Family member A has been in the medical field for around 15 years. He hasn't been able to get hired on full-time fire dept, but has worked in a paramedic company, teaching, military medical contracts and forest fire protection. Unfortunately none have had benefits. Even out of his own admittance he applied for a PD "just because" for the thought of benefits, and has never voiced an interest in LE let alone ever interviewed with a dept. With literally not day of security or LE experience HOLY CRAP he was offered a position pending background. keep in mind he is 38. Now will be required to sell his house, move to another state , put both his kids in new schools, require his wife to leave her job all for a job that he doesn't know he will like (admitted by him) still has to pass the academy and an FTO program AND! with intentions of still applying at fire departments since that has been his "dream job" for the last 15 years. am I missing something? also in respect to the dept. who would hire someone with such background, and some may argue lack of.
      Advice on WHAT? Sounds like you're just ranting.

He's 38. Let him make his own decisions...and stay out of his business.

Comment

• TUNEDNIMPORTED
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2017

Honestly they sound like an all around candidate... You should be happy. I get offered A LOT of jobs I have 0 experience in and all my family members are very supportive of me. You should do the same.
        Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 10-27-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• wi law
          WILAW
          • Aug 2016

my apologies, maybe it is just a rant, but I'm so frustrated. I can't drill into his head that this is not a job as a temp job. Think of it this way; Would you want a partner that really doesn't want to be a cop, but just using it until finding something else? Despite the person and medic experience. Honestly, would you want someone to protect your life who considers the job temporary? Do you think someone with this mindset would take it as seriously as needed.

Comment

• J2H
            J2H commented
            Editing a comment
            There a good bit of folks who jump into LE, and don't end up liking it... they do it for a few years, gain some street knowledge, and bail for other jobs. I know MANY folks who aren't going to make police a career. I myself don't want to do this forever... I either want to make Sergeant or go into some other form of Enforcement (ie, fraud investigation, or something else in the Fed Gov't).
        • TUNEDNIMPORTED
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2017

my apologies, maybe it is just a rant, but I'm so frustrated. I can't drill into his head that this is not a job as a temp job. Think of it this way; Would you want a partner that really doesn't want to be a cop, but just using it until finding something else? Despite the person and medic experience. Honestly, would you want someone to protect your life who considers the job temporary? Do you think someone with this mindset would take it as seriously as needed.
          Jeez dude its just a job. I consider everything temporary and I am regarded as extremely reliable,

Comment

• BAnw09
            • Mar 2013

Eh, I can understand the frustration. Many do sign up for the attractive salary, benefits, or just because they think it’d be cool. Some make it and some don’t. I would just live and let live, whatever happens with them is not in your control.

Comment

• CCCSD
              Shadowman
              • Jul 2014

If he’s that lackadaisical, he won’t pass training.

Comment

• GangGreen712
                Gun nut
                • Mar 2008

I've met quite a few cops who got into it simply because it was a paycheck and benefits. Who knows? Maybe he'll find that he loves it. At the very least, maybe he'll at be good at it. I'd imagine it's probably better to have an indifferent but competent officer as a partner than a well-meaning, enthusiastic but hopelessly incompetent screw up at your side.
                "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                -Chris Rock

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                  Townie Soprano
                  • Aug 2017

FWIW...I never had any intention of becoming a cop. My plan was to become a lawyer. One of my college professors was a retired LEO and actively encouraged me to test with one of the departments in the area. I did, only to humor him....but the farther I got in the hiring process, the more I considered it an actual option. I ended up with a job offer...and after considering the pay and benefits (compared to spending a fortune on five more years of school) I decided to accept. I was sworn in at age 22.

So yeah, I'm one of those guys who more or less stumbled into LE. Guess what? Turns out I'm pretty good at it. Going on 25 years OTJ. Finished my BS and earned my MPA. Promoted to SGT and LT. Worked hard to earn and keep the respect of those above and under me. Get to serve the community and my department. Lots of frustrations, but no regrets.

Comment

• Ratatatat
                    Welcome to the party, pal
                    • Dec 2014

A. A deputy chief buddy of mine was recently telling me his department is having a heck of a time hiring people these days, with a smoking hot economy and an unemployment rate of 2.9%. Doesn't help that his department no longer offers a pension and is a sleepy residential city. They are now visiting local academies in search of kids who are paying their own way and offering them jobs on the spot, as long as they can fog a mirror. So I'm not surprised your brother in law or whatever he is got an offer because the pool of candidates is pretty shallow in many places.

B. Either this current opportunity will work out for him, or it won't, and in six months he'll be moving back, talking about what a valuable experience it was because now he knows exactly what he wants to do in life: be a fireman.

C. Who cares what his dream job is... it's his dream.

Comment

• southpaw1
                      PO
                      • Oct 2013

You think that's bad try...21 yrs old and FIRST JOB EVER big city PD! Good guy but man I don't know about that. But who knows he might turn out to be a great PO...you just never know. It's the lack of life and work experience though that I would be concerned about if I was in a position to hire someone.
                      P.O. Andres Vasquez-Lasso
                      E.O.W. 01 MAR 23
                      ​

Comment

• CCCSD
                        Shadowman
                        • Jul 2014

OPs person has 15 years of medical/EMS experience.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                          Senior Veteran
                          • Aug 2007

I know MANY police officers / deputies who really don't care about the job they have other than it's a job that pays well.

One of the best investigators I know would leave his job tomorrow if he found a job that would pay him what he is getting as a deputy
                          I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• J2H
                            J2H commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Same here... if I found a gig that would front me more than I made now (to sit in a cubicle) I would leave TODAY
                        • L-1
                          • Jun 2004

By any chance are you Meghan Markle's half sister?
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18688 users online. 36 members and 18652 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...