Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a sheep....

Removed by writer.
    Last edited by SalemBlue; 09-28-2007, 02:05 PM.

I joined the army when I was 17 and recently tried to enlist again for active duty at 42. In the intervening years I developed a medical condition that makes me non-recruitable, so, obviously, I'm not going anywhere. I understand your desire and my wife was behind me 100%. I don't think she wanted me back in the service because she knew I would be deployed to a combat zone, but she understood my desire to go back and said she would support me in whatever I decided to do.

Depending on where you are at, you can always check into the Civil Air Patrol or Coast Guard Aux., but I don't know if that would feed your need or increase your desire to enlist. You can always enlist in the active duty army for a 2 year tour--your dept. may be ****ed, but your job and seniority is guaranteed when you return. If your girlfriend is not around after that, maybe that is the way it was meant to be.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I too had a similar experiance I dated for four years decided to join the Marine Corps because office life was notfor me. I joined because like you said there are so many reason that just words cant explain.

She said she supported me when I left I knew deep inside that as soon as I turned my back to board the plane she was no longer with me. In the end I ended up injured and back in my hometown.

I dont regret the decision I made. Now, I start my career in Law enforcement Mid-April and have a wife and 2 beautiful kids, my wife supports and thats all that matters to me.

When it comes down to it you have to make yourself happy. No matter what the cost. If you dont do what makes you happy you will never make your future wife or kids happy. Would you rather be miserable and not do what you wanted in life. As for me I would rather die living my dream.

Just my thought hope not to deep for ya.
      "If you want forgiveness go get some religion"

Comment

As a female police officer, I faced this situation with my ex (...if that is any indication of how our relationship ended...).

Basically, he didn't want me to become a police officer and left me. I perused it anyway and became one.

After three years of being single, I THINK, I finally have fallen in love again, ironically, with an officer from a nearby department....

After reading your post, my general thought is this...

Public service and/or national protection is truly a calling. And, I feel that we can only be partnered with people who either understand via experience or empathy, our pursuit of same.

Good luck!
        If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Comment

Originally posted by SalemBlue View Post
          I feel that there is more I have to offer, and think it is very selfish of me to sit here and take for granted a wonderful country that so many given their lives for
          In contrast to that I think it's selfish of you to want to do this to your significant other. You've been together for three years so that means that she has supported you through your app process, the academy, and supports your dangerous career. Now she wants to settle down and start a life with you and you want to run off to boot camp for 2-3 months then off to war. I'd say you activation chance is pretty high right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushum View Post
            In contrast to that I think it's selfish of you to want to do this to your significant other. You've been together for three years so that means that she has supported you through your app process, the academy, and supports your dangerous career. Now she wants to settle down and start a life with you and you want to run off to boot camp for 2-3 months then off to war. I'd say you activation chance is pretty high right now.
            +1

I also find it strange that you can't seem to stay put and get a few years of experience in your belt after all that you went through in law enforcement.

If you can't articulate the reasons for wanting something, and feel the need to jump from lily pad to lily pad on a 'feeling' that you want to hunt down the wolves, with no end in sight, then I think it's best if you let your g/friend go. She has shown you that she supports you. But it seems like you're dragging her into your fantasy chase. Go chase your dream on your own until you find it. Good luck.
            Last edited by JBean; 05-07-2007, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I'm not a Sheep

Yours isn't an easy situation to address. It's been my experience that an Officer's spouse has to be almost as commited to the job as the Officer is. Joining a Guard, Reserve, or Regular Armed Forces component adds yet another dimension to your service. At the same time it places a significant challenge to relationship. I can't say I don't understand your Fiance's fears. At the end of the day you Guys are going to have to sit down and work this out. It may mean a parting of the ways. That's always a possibility. I don't want to try to talk either of you into anything. I sincerely hope this works out for you both.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushum View Post
                If you let her control your decision process now it will only get worse in the future. Follow your feelings and things will work out for the best. Oh and the term is selfless not selfish.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5510 users online. 308 members and 5202 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X